Trying to make my goon look nice how can I......

Hitachi carbs are great on gas.  That is about the only thing anyone has ever said nice about them.  Feel free to get a Weber if you can't get the Hitachi working right.  Even if you are only selling it, you will want it running well.  The rust is quite bad.  That is not a job for Bondo, fiberglass, etc.  This will need cutting and welding.  It can be done but...  Fix one thing at a time and keep her driving. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hitachi carbs are great on gas.  That is about the only thing anyone has ever said nice about them.  Feel free to get a Weber if you can't get the Hitachi working right.  Even if you are only selling it, you will want it running well.  The rust is quite bad.  That is not a job for Bondo, fiberglass, etc.  This will need cutting and welding.  It can be done but...  Fix one thing at a time and keep her driving. 

Yup, a New Weber 32/36 on a stock engine is probably the easiest and least expensive way to go.  And yes, fix one thing at a time and just enjoy it.  Then once everything is fixed (or modified), strip it and paint it.

Hitachi carbs are great on gas. That is about the only thing anyone has ever said nice about them. Feel free to get a Weber if you can't get the Hitachi working right. Even if you are only selling it, you will want it running well. The rust is quite bad. That is not a job for Bondo, fiberglass, etc. This will need cutting and welding. It can be done but... Fix one thing at a time and keep her driving. [/quote

My car eats the gas.

Okay I will slowly i will get her where I want her to be.

Yup, a New Weber 32/36 on a stock engine is probably the easiest and least expensive way to go. And yes, fix one thing at a time and just enjoy it. Then once everything is fixed (or modified), strip it and paint it.

Cool I will have to save up for one after I fix up the motor.

I'd be skeptical of the one on eBay, for less money.  I've read that there are a lot of knock-offs, and the carbs withe the black colored choke caps are the knock-offs.  That's just what I've heard.  I bought mine from:

http://www.webercarbsdirect.com/Carburetor_Conversion_Kits_s/25.htm?gclid=COnln8D1jrgCFaN7Qgodg3UACw

I'd be skeptical of the one on eBay, for less money. I've read that there are a lot of knock-offs, and the carbs withe the black colored choke caps are the knock-offs. That's just what I've heard. I bought mine from:

http://www.webercarbsdirect.com/Carburetor_Conversion_Kits_s/25.htm?gclid=COnln8D1jrgCFaN7Qgodg3UACw

Yeah I was reading up on the web situation and the one that are made in china Those are the boo boo ones

The Weber literature says:

"The Kits utilizing the 32/36 Progressives Weber are designed to provide the market with an economical performance carburetor conversion that while increasing Hp also improves drivability and fuel economy over the stock carburetor. The kits using the 32/36 progressive carburetor is the optimum carburetor for use as a replacement carburetor for a worn out or hard to maintain factory carb."

As with anything, the rest of the engine will need to be in tune to get full benefit.

I think I already said this, but if you go the route of different carb, BUY It NEW.  That way you know it's setup for your application and you get all the parts you need.  Most used carbs are on the market becuse they didn't work for some reason.  Usually because it's worn out, but also becuase maybe it didn't run quite right and the p.o. tried to adjust it with different jets, and it went down hill from there. 

The Weber literature says:

"The Kits utilizing the 32/36 Progressives Weber are designed to provide the market with an economical performance carburetor conversion that while increasing Hp also improves drivability and fuel economy over the stock carburetor. The kits using the 32/36 progressive carburetor is the optimum carburetor for use as a replacement carburetor for a worn out or hard to maintain factory carb."

As with anything, the rest of the engine will need to be in tune to get full benefit.

Cool sounds good too me.

What will I have to do the tune the engine?

alright.  Times have changed...   Step one to restoring a datsun 510 wagon:  Start a photobucket account.  Step two:  Load pictures into said account.  Step three:  Post pictures to this thread.  Step four:  bitch about classifieds for a bit.  Step thirteen:  fix wagon.  Step ?:  Profit!!!

step 6, bitch about others who havent posted pics

• Like 1