82 720 vibrations and warble feeling?

dreadsiren

ok, its raining, my mech partner/hubby is gone for a while and I dont want to bench press a trans by my self at the moment so... figured I'd ask for some better knowledge on possible other issues before I crush myself in the mud under my truck :P

long story short... aquired my 82 after it had been badly abused, swapped motor from my 84+ new radiator, webber carb, new coils, new dizzy & icm, fuel pump, swapped fuel relay, most of the wiring harness (84 broke frame+ no title incase any one is wondering, lol) hub was sheared on passenger, replaced bearings and eliminated front end temporaraly, replaced all missmatched ball joints... burnt the clutch, pressure plate went tits, partsgeek sent z22 clutch, grabbed old flywheel, stripped bolts on crank, pulled everything and tapped, back togeather now and it still has bad vibes... (there is no front drive line or cv shafts atm) oh, and I had to temporarely gut the rear brakes and cap em off

rummbles bad at launch enough to rattle everything thats loose on the body/in cab, on rare occasion it lurches/catches on launch (feels like behind motor/trans, mechanical grab, not fuel related) idles great, can rev the heck out of it with no symptoms in neutral or cluch depressed, has a bad warble feeling mid range and vibrates hard enough on highway speeds to keep a penny almost a 1/4 inch off the dash, kinda like realy good base. been also looking at rear end and drive line but cant find a darn thing wrong with them, then again there is no ballance shop here...  also when vibrating the transfercase shifter is vibrating the hardest, trans does clunk every now and then... reverse sounds worse than any other gear... I know I need to swap it (baaaad metal in the oil when changed), but if I could limp it a little farther... w/o getting killed :) any one know the symptoms of bad trans case? I've never had a problem with them before... and never been called on to fix for anyone

any way I'll quit my rambling...

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How was it even possible to strip the crankshaft bolts??????

If engine revs vibration free then have to look elsewhere.

Engine and motor mounts loose or broken rubber???? Pry against engine with 2x4.

Transfer case rubber mounts bad or loose.

Engine to transmission bolts loose.

Bad U joints on primary or rear driveshafts.

Rear driveshaft has a slip joint... if badly worn it will go off center and vibrate.

Bent or otherwise damaged primary or rear driveshaft.

my husband claims it was due to them getting too hot before and they pulled the treads on him, I think he just wanted to get it done and out of the way and cross threaded them accidently and wrenched too hard (doesnt know his own strength)

durn it! only part I dont have in triplicate! long bed rear driveline... (parts trucks are short bed 83-84) still need to recheck the bushings though, im actually hopeing its a bushing as I have those :) lol diggin for a 2x4... I did note some wear on the slip yoke when doing clutch but nothing major... maybe I should double check that too while I'm at it!

thank you, you are king!

If it vibrates/grinds at take off/launch, but doesn't make any noise while the engine is running with the tranny in neutral and the clutch pedal is not pressed in, then it is likely something between the transfer case and the rearend which includes both these parts, if you had metal in the oil when you drained the transfer case, that is likely the issue, eventually it will self destruct, so quit driving it.

This is just a guess with the limited info I have from your first post.

well, stupid me thought since my motor mounts looked good as new they were ok... sloppy little buggers, its like having jello between the engine and the frame, lol... and two transmission bolts backed out 2 turns (vibrations suck)... realized the drive line has strange ballance weights on it, lots of em, directly across from eachother? and is practically new (still has shop stickers intact), I inherited the gremiln when I bought the truck and only three things that havent been swapped by prev owner or me would be the trans case, transmission and rear end... wondering if one of the rear axles isnt warped/bent, all u joints good and tight though, thats why I was so perplexed... oh, the shavings were from the transmission not transfer case, I should check it again though. thank you all for the advice, made me look at things I didnt think to recheck!

If the metal was in the transmission, then it likely makes noise when the engine is running, and the transmission is in neutral, and the clutch pedal is not pushed in, this would likely be the lower cluster gear bearing, it has likely destroyed itself, and it will only get worse, it can actually lock up, this noise will go away when you push the clutch in and put it in any gear, that is because the input shaft is not turning anymore.

If the case has not been damaged, and the gears have not been damaged, you can put a new bearing in it and put it back together after you clean it up, but if you keep driving it, eventually your going to need a tow truck and a whole new transmission, which already might be the case.

This is a common issue with these 720 transmissions, all 2wd 720 kingcab trucks have the tranny you need, 85/86 transmissions have the bigger cluster gear bearing which I assume was to fix the early tranny bearing issues.

thankfully I have another transmission in the back  :) I just wanst looking forward to squishing myself in the mud with no mechanic partner (transmissions are a bit heavy and I'm a bit clumsey)... but I get to pick my hubby back up tomorrow morning! (hope the transmission doesnt fall out on the way there, lol) figured I'd be stuck longer than I was

• 6 years later...

I have put a rebuilt transmission in my truck my transmission did lock up on me and shortly after I changed the rear differential as the lock up that happened when my transmission went out apparently broke the carrier pin in the rear differential. Now I’m chasing yet another vibration and I think it may be my transfer case . Has anyone had one of these go out on their 4x4 720 trucks . My engine is healthy transmission new and under warranty and rear end healthy as can be this can be the only logical thing I can think it could be 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

Check the 'slip joint' on the driveshaft between the trans case and the differential. It's splined and allows compression and extension but should only turn and not move sideways if you wiggle it.

Has a rebuilt drive shaft . Did however check there know these trucks have a weak spot there . U joints are fresh too it just kinda blows my mind but most likely a transfer case . I got a spare I robbed out of a junk yard 85 . 

If it's a rebuilt drive shaft did you ever separate it after you got it back?

I made that mistake when I had my driveshaft rebuilt and balanced....

Luckily I did it right at the counter as I was turning to leave and the promptly told me to come back to the counter...

The shop I used lined up the 3 u joint grease fitting,  so that's how I was told I could make sure it was in the correct position....

So if it doesn't go back in the way they had it assembled during balancing it wont be balanced..... 

I am going to have to look into that . They rebuilt the little driveline from transmission to transfer case and the large drive line from transfer case to rear end and these was all put back in when I got the truck back from having the clutch tranny and drive shafts done . I did the rear diff myself and putting a lower ratio in it has it really aggravated however that being said I never did break the shaft apart when I took it out to do the rear diff work but it’s certainly something to look into love my old truck too clean and smooth to throw away just yet 

• Like 2

Update..... took front and rear drive lines out put truck in 2H let out on clutch confirmed transfer case vibration . Small shaft from transmission to case was solid . Replaced transfer case with one I picked up in a junk yard out of a 85 720 and was a direct match . Drained old oil replaced with new all is smooth again . However could be just me will confirm later but seemed like there is a gearing difference 

1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

T-100L all years.

High..... 1.0

Low...... 2.074

After using a speedo app on my phone it was indeed the same huge thanks to you guys this site has been a enormous help keeping my little truck going I love this thing but sometimes when things break it can be a absolute bear getting it fixed and expensive too. This truck of mine is in excellent condition minus some rust on the seam of the bed and a crack or two on the dash and I honestly don’t think I could replace this truck thank you guys so much 

• Like 1