music?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like pretty much anything. 70's Rock, When I want to relive my stoner days some Bob Dylan,

Country I'm not real keen to the pop stuff but some good ol George Jones, Johnny Cash, Dwight Yokam. Once in awile just for good measure some Gansta Rap. 50 Cent and such. Just for kicks.:lol:

Aerosmith, AC/DC, and Classic Rock from the '70s get me through the day.

I do have others on the ol' MP3 player, but these get visited the most.

I guess I was born in the wrong era??

Yeah, me too.

Some "hippie type" tie-died twenty somethings, were working on their VW bus, blasting some bootleg Greatful Dead and Allman Brothers tapes on the sound system. They came over to borrow a tool and I said, I used to be a Dead Head too. They ask if I had seen the Dead. I said, I grew up seeing them play for free on Haight Street and Golden Gate Park in the '60s. The last time I saw them, was in Germany in '74 and they were so wasted they couldn't remember the words to their own songs.

After that, I got off into blues and R&B and Soul Music, until I was old enough to get into bars when I got hooked on BeBop, 70's Soul Jazz and electric Fusion. After seeing bands like Weather Report with Jaco and Miles Electric bands, as well as all the blues cats, BB King, Albert King, Freddie King, Freddie Fender, Albert Collins, Buddy Guy & Junior Wells, Sonny Terry & Brownie McGee, Magic Sam, Jimmy Witherspoon, James Cotton, Jonnie and Shuggie Otis, James Brown, Bobby Blue Bland and Ray Charles... all the rock and emerging punk, alternative new wave, what every you want to label it, sounded so derivative and lame.

These young guys were trippin". Wow, we thought we were lucky to have seen Garcia before he died. Yeah, I used to go hang at Keystone Korner in North Beach on Monday nights when Merle Saunders, Junkie John Kahn and Jerry played all kinds of standards and different weird shit.

I saw Hendrix, Cream, Led Zepplin, Janis, Credence, Canned Heat, Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, Doors, Deep Purple, Traffic, Blind Faith, Iron Butterfly, Blue Cheer, Spirit, Who, Santana, Pink Floyd... on and on, all that crap. Fillmore and Winterland tickets were $2.75 on Thursday and Sunday nights and $3.25 on Friday and Saturday nights, three bands and two sets for each. Ounce bag for eight bucks and 500 mic hits of LSD for a buck. Went every weekend for years.

These wanna be hippie kids were tripping on all my stories about the ballroom scene. I said, you know I feel the same way when I talk to music fans that are ten or fifteen years older than I am. I was standing in line at the old Yoshi's on Claremont in Oakland, waiting to get in to see McCoy Tyner's Afro Cuban big band. I got to talking to a guy that grew up in New York in the '50s. He was hangin' out at all the famous jazz clubs seeing the Ellington and Basie bands, Louis Armstrong, Bird, Dizzy, Monk, Clifford Brown, Sonny Rollins, Lester Young, Coleman Hawkins, Art Tatum, Miles, Coltrane, Cannonball.

I was like, SHIT YOU SAW COLTRANE??? He goes, yeah I saw Trane in Miles band and later with the Classic Quartet. I was trippin'!! I would have given anything in the world to have seen Trane! I was lucky to have seen Miles a few times before he died. Man, I was born in the wrong era. Would have loved to come up hangin' at Minton's Playhouse, Village Vanguard, the Three Dueces or Slugs or any of the Jazz at Carnagie Hall Concerts.

Sunday night, I went to see Crusaders and Tower of Power. First time I saw Tower was forty years ago. I was really interested to see the Crusaders because I didn't think they would ever get back together again. God, Joe Sample still has the chop. They were great, but Tower was fantastic. I have seen Tower fifty or sixty times in all the incarnations of different bands. The last three or four years, I thought to myself, that these was the best bands ever, but THIS was the hottest band lineup they have ever had. Soul Music with a capital "S".

A couple of weeks ago I went to see Chick Corea and the Return To Forever reunion tour. I have been standing in line and buying tickets for a very long time. I never use the word awsome. It is such an over worked and ineffective adjective, but RTF was fuckin' AWESOME. There ain't a better bass player in the world than Stanley Clarke. PERIOD! It was like getting a hundred dollar music lesson just watching Lenny White play drums, and Chick is just a sick animal. Al DeMiola is a guitarists guitarist for good reason. Metal shredders need to take some lessons off this guy.

Earlier this year, I got to meet one of my all time musical heroes Sonny Rollins. Sonny is one of the very best musicians on the planet. The next night, I got to see a group called the SF Jazz Collective. For me, this is where the bar is set as far as musicianship goes.

There is so much music going on I can barely keep up. Saw the Neville Brothers, Doctor John and Issaic Hayes, Canned Heat, Phoebe Snow last month, all great acts.

It is a very interesting phenomenon I think, that so many young people are into '70s "classic rock". It seems like they weren't old enough to have seen this stuff or even have worn out the vinyl records like I did. For me, that is when the music business took over and the hype began. Anybody see that documentary last week on PBS, the American Masters Series, about Amet Ertegun and Atlantic Records? I had piles or ATCO 45s and LPs as well as Stax, Sun, Volt. There were some great black and white film footage of the Stones and Zepplin, etc. Great interview with Mick Jagger and Ertegun.

I never really like the Stones. I went to Altamont and I blame them for killing rock in the '70s. I didn't just hear that 70s & 80's stuff on some MP3, I was there. Most of it sucked. I'm not trying to put anyones musical taste down at all... what ever turns you on... you know. I just think it is an interesting trend.

I'll go crawl back under my mossy rock now, I was born in the wrong era...

speaking of grateful dead. there was one of there stickers on the back window of my 320 when i bought it.

i would still have some on my goon if the C^%$* hadnt smashed the glass.

it had taken us(sometimes 7 bodies) to at least 20 shows.

i was born in the wrong era too, disco SUCKS!

figbuck - you gotta get your words into print! with the music!

What did Jerry Garcia say when he got out of re-hab?

God-this band sucks

How many deadheads does it take to change a lightbulb?

None-They wait till it burns out and then they stare at it for 30 years.

Did you hear Ben & Jerrys has a new flavor?

It's called Bury Garcia

How can you tell if Deadheads were in your house during the 70's?

They're still there

How do you know when a Deadhead has broken up with his girlfriend?

He’s homeless.

Where do you hide money from a Deadhead?

Under the soap.

How many Deadheads fit in a VW bus?

Two more and a dog.

:lol::lol::lol:

That's pretty funny. :)

For me there was a period where Jerry was playin' his ass off as a guitar player and a musician, however short that was. I have lost a lot of friends to heroin. But seriously, the Dead were a cog in the wheel that really changed the world and our society there in the sixties.

I remember going to see George Carlin "in concert" about 1964, maybe I was in 7th grade. I remember being blown away that somebody could tell jokes that just about stopped your breathing because they were so funny, for three hours solid. He was the guy that hipped us to "straight America".

I'm just old enough to remember how fucking straight america was. Our society has come a long way in the last few years.

Music is a great thing. I feel real fortunate to have seen so many different artists that are in this big world. There are so many monster musicians. I really try to have an open mind about listening. I go to see music performed with no preconceived notions. Sometimes there are flashes of brilliance and sometimes there is constant magic. Sometimes it just sucks. Sometimes the payoff is great and sometimes not so much.

Still, music is the most central part of my life. I started learning to play the guitar almost six years ago. I play every day, as much as I can, even if it is only for a few minutes. I try to make that connection. I'm not a great player but in five more years I will be a good player and ten years...

I'm lucky too that I get to listen to music all day at work.

Music is a very weird and powerful thing, yet I have met people recently that were completely oblivious to any kind of music. Son of a bitch, I can't comprehend that. I'm the guy whose head is bobbing if there is any kind of groove going on. I been in bars where the band is just burning, the bass player and drummer are breakin' it down, and people are sitting there like they are listening to a lecture on Algebra 102. What?

I feel lucky to have grown up in a big metropolitan area where there were lots of great radio stations. My wife grew up out in eastern Oregon where her parents owned a tavern in a small town where there was no radio or TV. Her listening was informed by the records in the juke box. There was a lot of stuff that she completely missed out on. There wasn't the media and instant communication back then. Hard to remember in this wired world.

Music is the reason that she and I are together.

OK, here is a link to all kinds of stuff. If you can't find something that gets your off here... I don't know what to say. I got it set up where they e-mail me new releases from the vault.

http://concerts.wolfgangsvault.com/

I was checkn out some Stevie Ray Vaughn... :cool:

How many deadheads does it take to change a lightbulb?

None-They wait till it burns out and then they stare at it for 30 years.

:blink:

:fu:

:lol:

how many deadheads does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

none - they screw in sleeping bags.

:P

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. Where do I start? I guess I will give a chronological order of my musical tastes over the years.

70's I had older brother and sister so a lot of musical influence from them.

Abba, Aerosmith, BeeGees:eek:, Arlo Guthrie (you can get anything you want @ Alices Rest.) Billy Joel, Boston, Queen, Styx, 38 Special, Foghat, Kinks, Blue Oyster Cult (more Cowbell!) Black Sabbath, Zeppelin, Clapton and all of his bands, Bob Dylan, Santana

80's My High School years. A lot of Cassettes worn out in this decade:D

My first concert was Loverboy and Quiet Riot @ the Key Arena:lol:

Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Aerosmith, Bad Company, Billy Idol, ZZ Top, Prince, Stray Cats, AC DC, Hendrix, Doors, Bangles, B 52's, Oingo Boingo, George Thorogood (still one of the rockinest shows I ever seen) Whitesnake, Krokus, Police, RUSH, Ozzy, Dio, Don Henley, Dire Straits, Tom Petty

Rolling Stones, Robert Plant, The Firm, Talking Heads, Scorpions. I WANT MY MTV!

90's The Grunge Years!:D I worked construction and we basically had the radio on all day every day. Got my first CD player!

Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, STP, QueensRyche, Black Sabbath, Metallica, Temple of the Dog, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Cheryl Crow, Rage Against the Machine, Bush, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Alanis Morisette, Cake, Johnny Lang, GODSMACK! Sublime:cool: Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Beck Went to Ozfest @ the Gorge and was Blown and was blown away by Sabbath! Slayer, Primus, Zombie, Godsmack were pretty fuckin cool too!

00's to Current Day

Pretty much all of the above. Got the ipod now and my favorites include:

Johnny Cash, Pantera, Robin Trower, ICP, Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard, The Who, Hank Williams Jr., MotorHead, Bender, and thousands of others that I cant think of now!:blink: Saw Oz Fest again this tim @ the White River Amp. and Judas Priest was fuckin Killer!

Just remember, all we are is Dust in the wind.

holy crap where are my manners and respect. RANDY FUCKING RHOADS is my favorite. "i guess that we'll meet... we'll meet in the end" rip brother.

dude i meet dan that owns off the rail brewing this weekend very cool guy. his beer is all dedicated to randy and ozzy he works a 9-5 just to pay the bills to keep the brewry up and running......and his coal porter kicks ass to havent tried all his stuff yet be i soon will

Starts with Nine Inch Nails goes through VnV Nation, turns left at Skinny Puppy, Turns right at Led Zep, goes around to Bob Dylan, down to the Clash, over to X, back around to Rush, a couple small turns to Leonard Cohen, back to Miles Davis, over towards Louis Prima, turn again to Hank Williams (all of them), through Johnny Cash and finally ending at Frank Sinatra.

I was right there with you until the end.

Yeah, I know what a great singer, entertainer, song stylist, blah blah. I dunno, I never could dig him. I gigged with a guitar player that worked in the Billy Eckstien band in Vegas when they backed up Sinatra. He told me stories about what a great and intuitive musician he was. I still ain't into it.

DatDoug, you are a music fan I can tell. That is exactly the list of groups that my brother listens to and would go see. Music is such a great thing.

My oldest friend in the world just died, he was 56. He was an extremely good guitar player and teacher. Dust in the wind, no doubt.

I just read the Eric Clapton Biography. Great to hear all of his stories and even thought he had his problems, it is a happy ending. My friend's dedication to music and guitar was the same and he could play his butt off too, but his story is not a happy one. He was never lucky, rich or famous but the cat could rock and play the blues.

Strat through a Twin

Les Paul through a Marshall

ES335 through a Mesa Boogie

Mr Natural, Mr Natural... What does it all Mean???

Don't mean shit...

I was right there with you until the end.

Yeah, I know what a great singer, entertainer, song stylist, blah blah. I dunno, I never could dig him. I gigged with a guitar player that worked in the Billy Eckstien band in Vegas when they backed up Sinatra. He told me stories about what a great and intuitive musician he was. I still ain't into it.

Yeah, guilty pleasure. I dig him mostly on long drives with a chiquita...

Oh, and sorry to hear about your bud. Just because your not famous, doesn't mean you aren't good. conversely, just because you are famous doesn't make you good either.