Project: SR-71 (make an S30 drift like an S13)

I have been working on this project for about 2 years now, and I still have a long way to go.  But I feel that the majority of the hard work is, for the most part, finished.  This is a 71 Datsun 240Z that I am aiming to drift.  I have fabricated in the rear subframe and complete IRS from an S13 as well as the S13 front crossmember.  This allows me to utilize all of the S13 suspension components without trying to adapt them to S30 suspension components etc.  I'm also using the sr20de-t as the powerplant.  In order to make all of this work, I actually had to extend the wheelbase by about 7.5" :-)

I have extensively documented as much of the build as I could with hundreds of photos.  Most of which are cell phone pics because trying to build a car yourself and be the photographer just doesn't mix too well.  A few months ago I created a facebook page strictly for the build, so if you want frequent updates and be able to look through any of the hundreds of photos, please check that out here:

https://www.facebook.com/ProjectSR71 

Project%20SR-71%20%2826%29-X2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How are you attaching the radius arm mounts to the frame? And is the cross member welded to the frame rails or did you tap/weld in nuts to bolt it to?

Im with Redeye, I would rather not travel to another page to look at pictures. Good luck with the build, I'm doing something similar with my truck but dont plan to use it like you plan to use this.

Edit: I mostly lurk and post on my build thread, so with that in mind you should keep an eye on your thread views if you want a better gauge on how often this gets visited. In a couple days it has gotten 150 views.

I also have the photos on my actual website, but I have so many photos of the build over the course of 2 years that I would know what specifically to post here lol
Here is the link to the photos on my website, but just a warning, there are hundreds...
They should be in chronological order for the most part.
http://www.nostalgicimaging.com/Cars/SR-71/27396666_wvrPPv#!i=2303839523&k=dg9SkCB

IMG_20130407_151425-XL.jpg

IMG_20130407_151451-XL.jpg

IMG_20130407_152505-XL.jpg

IMG_20130407_153201-XL.jpg

IMG_20130407_153236-XL.jpg

IMG_20130407_182640-XL.jpg

IMG_20130414_170911-XL.jpg

IMG_20130420_140010-XL.jpg

IMG_20130420_140056-XL.jpg

So where did the name come from?- SR71. Is it because youre endgame is high speeds? Or maybe because the Z slightly resembles a Blackbird cockpit? Or maybe you want to paint the car flat black?

Looks like nice work so far. Like mentioned, it will be interesting to see you actually finish. No one really seems to successfully drift Datsuns... not outside the parking lot anyway. 

Oh, this getting finished for sure.  I've just been doing all of this in my spare time for the past 2 years now.  I'm fairly certain that I have done what no others have done yet.  I have had all of the suspension components bolted in already and the car rolls with ease with one hand.  Essentially, I could just bolt it all back in, wire the engine, make an exhaust, custom drive shaft, run new brake lines, fuel cell, custom seat brackets, and a racing seat....it would somewhat be drive-able then.  But I'm planning on taking my time with each part til it's all finished.  I still need to make a roll cage too.  And I got the name because it's a 71 Datsun 240Z and it has an sr20de-t motor--hence SR71 :-)  And of course in the end it will be black.

• Like 1

It's actually about 7.5"
It was a necessity in order to utilize the S13 front crossmember.  If I were to mount the crossmember where it should go so that the motor would mount to it, it would have shortened the wheelbase.  No matter what I tried, the only solution was to move the crossmember forward and make my own strut towers and motor mounts.  I think it solved the issue of the 240Z's and their short wheelbase anyway.  Right now the wheelbase is about an inch more than the S13, so it seems like a win to me.  As far as the fenders go, I will fix them later as all of the body work is pretty much last on the list.

• Like 1

Going back a few hundred photos, but I found this one that shows more of the subframe mounting.

IMG_20130309_165305-X2.jpg

IMG_20130309_165441-X2.jpg

This one shows where the center line of the stock struts were (the furthest silver line from the front).
IMG_20130217_142039-X2.jpg

IMG_20130217_142122-X2.jpg

My alignment method LoL
IMG_20130224_152453-X2.jpg

Hmmm, will this damn motor ever go in there?  Yeah, old photos :-)
SR-71%20%28Datsun%20240Z%29_2-2-13b-X2.j

• Like 1

Hey it's RB-ready too!

You could extend the cab metal under the existing front fenders for a viper-ish look... Seems like you have a few hours wrapped up into this, how much time do you average a week on it?

• Like 2

It's hard to say how many hours per week because I work on it in my free-time, which is usually only on the weekends if I can.  Sometimes, like lately, I go a few weeks without touching it.  Then other times I will work on it for 3 weekends in a row.  

Side note, before taking on this task, I had no prior welding nor fabrication experience.  I just wanted to teach myself as I went along :-)

its_karl, I'm not sure I understand what you mean by extending the cab metal; can you explain in a different way or maybe some photos?  Thanks!

• Like 1

So where did the name come from?- SR71. Is it because youre endgame is high speeds? Or maybe because the Z slightly resembles a Blackbird cockpit? Or maybe you want to paint the car flat black?

Looks like nice work so far. Like mentioned, it will be interesting to see you actually finish. No one really seems to successfully drift Datsuns... not outside the parking lot anyway. 

i understood it as an "SR" powered "71" S30. therefore SR-71.

Love the build man! hope too see this do well!

• Like 1

It's hard to say how many hours per week because I work on it in my free-time, which is usually only on the weekends if I can.  Sometimes, like lately, I go a few weeks without touching it.  Then other times I will work on it for 3 weekends in a row.  

Side note, before taking on this task, I had no prior welding nor fabrication experience.  I just wanted to teach myself as I went along :-)

its_karl, I'm not sure I understand what you mean by extending the cab metal; can you explain in a different way or maybe some photos?  Thanks!

http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=d3NP2O8_gCxWuM&tbnid=f2y-sBtg1gsNtM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmodernmusclecars.net%2Fforums%2Fvbgarage.php%3Fdo%3Dview%26id%3D2464&ei=0dbDUfWdIIna9QSki4GoAg&bvm=bv.48293060,d.dmQ&psig=AFQjCNHvlAgT_2V0qoW1lFsgwDyFXEEHGg&ust=1371875305172975

Still havent learned how to make the link into an image that shows... anyways, the viper emulates what i'm describing. I was however, half-joking...