280zx versus 510 brake line size

I think the master cyl. size you need depends on if you are using rear discs or not. I used a 7/8 in my car with zx front brakes and stock rear drums and the pedal feel is perfect IMO. The 7/8 master was used in 280z's with drums in the back. If you are upgrading the rear to disc it would be appropriate to use the 15/16" master from the zx as the was a disc/disc car. I have heard of guys using a 15/16" master on a drum rear car and experiencing too hard of a pedal feel, like a brick. That is just what I have heard tho, once I tried the 7/8" in my car I was happy with it, so I never tried a 15/16".

Yes this,i tried the 3/4 master first.The pedal was pretty spongy,this was with new everything including brake fluid.I had good brakes but didnt like the pedal feel.The 7/8 MC made quite a difference in pedal feel and the brakes will lock up a lot easier.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive only seen people upgrade proportioning valves when going full discs

If you are going to full zx discs do you need to upgrade the proportioning valve to a zx?  From what I understand all the proportioning is done at the master.  If this is the case it doesn't matter if you have the 510 or the zx proportioning valve.

If you are going to full zx discs do you need to upgrade the proportioning valve to a zx?  From what I understand all the proportioning is done at the master.  If this is the case it doesn't matter if you have the 510 or the zx proportioning valve.

Well... I had the garage door up while I was working on the 510 tonight, and a guy on a bicycle stopped in to talk about 510's.  A little ways in he says his name is Jason... I asked him his last name, and it was Jason Gray.  I had no idea he was all the way up here, let alone in the next neighborhood over.  Anyways, we talked some more and I asked him the same brake questions.  He said on the 510 it is not a proportioning valve, just a block to run the warning light.  He thought that the 280zx was the same.  So I'd say, between the two of you, it's likely it's not a proportioning valve.  He also thought the hard lines were the same.

Everything else we talked about was in concurrence with what's already been said here.

For what it's worth he also recommended going to a polyurethane bump stop in the struts versus rubber.  He said it makes a huge difference in feel when you engage it.

• 2 months later...