Noob question

mmsonic

I'm kinda confused on the SU carbs. I've asked a couple people, and some say they aren't worth it, yet some people like them a lot. The youtube videos of people running turbos off of them intrigue me, wondering how well considering the high temps with the turbo.

It looks as if it would be way easier than setting up EFI, but that's from my inexperienced eyes. Plus I can swap back to OEM specs easier. (again from inexperienced eyes.)

And the last and most important question is... What do you gain with all of that?

Thanks, Mike

Sorry if this has been asked before, I did try searching.:)

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

talk to zerow he just rebuilt his he has quite alot of knolage about the cabs themselves as for the turboing it would be alot easier you dont need to be experienced to know that instead of wireing in a computer to run it you just have a carb but a turboed carb is a tuning nightmare and if the carb isnt big enough you will starve the motor of fuel at the higher rpms and an efi turbo set up will make more power (handles the boost better to =) if you wanna turbo an l series take a look at fineline's project truck

Pop the hood of a WRX and you won't find a SU bolted to the turbo :D SU's aren't worth it IMO Like Hainz says "don't work backwards!" Get a KA for that truck of yours!! :D

Pop the hood of a WRX and you won't find a SU bolted to the turbo :D SU's aren't worth it IMO Like Hainz says "don't work backwards!" Get a KA for that truck of yours!! :D

funny thing is, I can get a decent KA24E pretty soon. My problem is, he can't get enough money for his 350 Chevy.(Don't know why I can't have it[KA], he doesn't even drive the damn thing.) It would be nice to see that engine in my little truck. Everything should bolt up pretty easy, even the smog:thumbdown:stuff, right?,save the motor mounts.

But I'm looking for a little performance increase now, as a temporary solution.

(if anyone read my previous thread on performance, the lady postponed her project, and I can't get that much money now.

----------------

Now playing: Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication

via FoxyTunes

Find an old L20B motor. Remove the head and manifolds and everything forward of the block, the timing gear chain, distributor/oil pump and drive spindle and pulley, everything. And mount onto your Z22. This will give you an LZ22 motor, sort of a stroker L20B with much better breathing head. The compression will be around 10 to 1 but all the performance after market intakes and carbs will fit it.

Here's an LZ22 with EFI and cam this year. That's rear wheel HP! Last year it was twin side drafts and 132 HP.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/DynoRun2007ByronsLZ22.jpg[/img]"]DynoRun2007ByronsLZ22.jpg

See Mike, you're in the lucky land above us, without obnoxiously loud activists that say the world is going all to hell because the ice caps are melting(must be nice for you guys), and blame cars becuase of it. And Californians are at the heart of stupid behavior.

Put that aside, (sorry to vent on you Mike, you probably realize this already) I don't know if the LZ is completely smog legal in Cali.

----------------

Now playing: Led Zeppelin - Whole Lotta Love

via FoxyTunes