Towing a NON-rolling shell?

Hey guys I have asked this question on a few other forums with minimal responses so I thought I'd ask here. I'm trying to tow/haul a vehicle shell from AZ to SoCal and was wondering if it's possible to load it up onto a uhaul-style ramp type car trailer, since a flat bed trailer is impossible to find on a budget. If anyone has done this please chime in. The utility trailers are a bit too small for an S30 to fit so that only leaves me with the ramp style car trailer. My main concern is not damaging the middle flaps on the trailer and not damaging the undercarriage too much since I am aware that I might have to get a bit aggressive in order to load it up.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have experience in this.  I've rented both the UHaul two-wheel dollies and the four-wheel auto transporter to haul my 521 around.  The challenge I had with UHaul gear is it's very heavy duty so you need something bad ass to haul it.  Also the width of the ramps and wheel platforms are one-size-fits all which makes them a little wide for a narrow vehicle.  Not sure if a Z car is wider than a 521 but I'm guessing it is.  My 521 fit on UHaul gear but it was very close and the inner edge of the tires was right on the inner edge of the ramp.  It worked but was a pain in the ass.  I also removed the drive shaft.

Also, I had a truck in which one rear wheel was locked due to a rusted brake.  I tried using those cheap wheel dollies from Harbor Freight, under the rear wheels so I could move it onto the trailer.  It works great on a garage floor but for loading on a trailer, its about 20% effective (which is better than zero).

Maybe load it onto the trailer with one or two cherry pickers and tow straps. Put some wood down to protect the trailer and the shell and set the shell on it. Strap it down with tie downs.. and never tell uhaul. Seems like it would be fine.

• Like 1

I just did this with a NON rolling s13 shell.  We had to use a cherry picker and a 4x4 under the front end to pick it up.  Granted we had NO ENGINE OR TRANS in it.  It was literally just an EMPTY shell.  No interior nor suspension what so ever.  We used the 4x4 under the front end to lift it with 2 guys and the cherry picker attached to the tow hook in the rear to get it onto the trailer.

20130604_195937_zps61f717ca.jpg

• Like 1

The NON-rolling shell in question is basically just the unibody structure from what I can tell. I'll most likely have limited man power (2 people including myself I'm guessing) and I probably won't have access to 2 cherry pickers (I only have one). I also have a very strict budget (about $250-$300 including gas for the trip). lol

if its a shell with no interior, engine, tranny, or suspension, its possible for you and one other person to lift it, it'll just be difficult to lift and move especially if (like me) you're not in the greatest of shape. I had a buddy that was able to lift and hold the front end of a 280z up while I repositioned jackstands underneath it. only thing the car was missing were seats, the front bumper,  and tires. full engine, suspension, and tranny were still in it.  if you have acess to one cherry picker i'd hook it up to the back and you and whoever is helping you can carry the front, slowly, onto the trailer. set it down and readjust the picker frequently.

if its a shell with no interior, engine, tranny, or suspension, its possible for you and one other person to lift it

Bull Shit .... ... even without doors or glass ..... I doubt any two people could lift ANY datsun shell onto a trailer .... ... you'd be lucky to get one side up on the trailer with 4 people

take some cinderblocks and long 2x4's, prop one end up high enough to roll trailer under that side, then set it down and shove it on.

Or just bring a come-along a sheet of plywood and longer 2x4s and drag that shit on the trailer.

Also from phoenix, i'd be willing to help load it. let us know

• Like 1

With only 2 people you won't be able to lift it, so you'll have to drag it on with a winch (or a come-a-long).  To prevent damage, throw a couple sheets of plywood under the car body. 

and then i read this...

When are you picking it up, and what part of Phoenix is it in? Maybe we could get some locals to help out?

take some cinderblocks and long 2x4's, prop one end up high enough to roll trailer under that side, then set it down and shove it on.

Or just bring a come-along a sheet of plywood and longer 2x4s and drag that shit on the trailer.

Also from phoenix, i'd be willing to help load it. let us know

It's in Morristown to be exact, not sure how far that is from Phoenix.. I'm not sure when I'll go, I have to figure this thing out first before I do anything. The cherry picker and big ass sheet of thick plywood under the shell seems like it might work.. assuming the plywood won't snap like a twig since we are talking about some 1000+lbs. 

I thought as such.. it seems like a pretty remote place according to google maps. Some help would be great honestly although due to having a very tight budget the best I can do to compensate is a beer or two.  :crying:

I should probably make a list of all the materials I'll be needing before I forget. 

I thought as such.. it seems like a pretty remote place according to google maps. Some help would be great honestly although due to having a very tight budget the best I can do to compensate is a beer or two.  :crying:

I should probably make a list of all the materials I'll be needing before I forget. 

When are you going?