'82 4x4

Abnrml1

I have a '82 720 KC that has been sitting for 16 years. I got the truck from a nephew back in '97 after he blew a chunk out of the head. I replaced the head and dropped the timing chain so I never got it running. I brought to Illinois when we moved in '97 and just let it sit. I decided to either get it running or get rid of it so I drug it out and started tearing into it. I have the engine down to the short block and plan on pulling it out soon.

I have a few questions about the z22. Should I do a complete rebuild or can I get away with just replacing the timing set, oil pump and carb? When I pulled the head I found a small amount of corrosion at the very top of one of the cylinders. The pistons look good and it will turn over.

I have posted at another board and it was suggested to do a KA swap instead of messing with the z22. This would be nice if I had the money and the tools to modify the oil pan to fit the 4x4. That and I'm not sure I want to mess with a computer and fuel injection. 

It was also suggested that I stay with a 29 or 30 inch tire. I have a nice set of 31" BFGs that are on my  '78 GMC that I could use but not if it will hinder the performance of the truck. What is everyone else running on their trucks? 

I would appreciate any and all help with this. I really want to keep the truck and plan to do a lot of camping with it. Hopefully it will get better mpg than my GMC. 9 mpg is a bit much. I'll post some pics later in the week. Thanks.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

29" tires are the limit on a 4x4 720 will minimal rub on cornering. Even less on a 2wd. You're expecting a 31" tire to fit where a 25.5" tire was designed to fit.

A rebuild is dependent on how worn out the rings or cylinders are. Timing chain, oil pump and carb won't fix that. If running you could just drive it and see is a blue cloud chases you down the street.

You could get a truck KA and just use your oil pan :lol:

You might be able to get away with just a gasket kit and new head. got a pic of the corrosion?

Wait, is this a straight bolt-on..? Truck z22 oil pan to truck KA block..?