Package tray redux

XXL

I've been working on a new package tray for under the dash on my 520.  I wanted to make the tray a little more form fitting, round the corner a bit, and then finish it to match the interior.  As usual, I did some of the work before I remembered to take pictures.  So... here it is already in progress...

I cut the base panel to the desired shape.  I then stacked some wood to build up enough material to cut out a round corner.  It actually started as 3 blocks of wood, and most of the outer block was cut off the make the corner.  Here it is partway shaped...

packageshelf_01.jpg

I then braced it so it wouldn't fall apart while I was doing the finish shaping... which needed to be done without the base attached.

packageshelf_02.jpg

After finish shaping the inside of the curve, I attached it to the base and removed the brace...

packageshelf_03.jpg

packageshelf_04.jpg

packageshelf_05.jpg

Then, I radiused the inside and outside edge of the ledge...

packageshelf_06.jpg

packageshelf_07.jpg

packageshelf_08.jpg

packageshelf_09.jpg

Embedded some t-nuts so I can mount it with hidden screws...

packageshelf_10.jpg

And test fit if for the last time before moving on to the finishing stage...

packageshelf_11.jpg

Which is where I take a small break.  I'll work on finishing it up next week and post pictures when I'm done.

If anyone is interested in buying the tray that came out, it's available.  PM me if interested.  It looks like this...

datsun12.jpg

datsun14.jpg

• Like 5
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

And then in it went, using 2 screws in the factory tabs coming off the firewall and kick panel area, and then a couple of Allen head cap screws that thread into the t-nuts I embedded in the wood (see previous pics).  Finally, I cut a black rubber panel I got from Home Depot to serve as the liner for the shelf.  Done.

packageshelf_15.jpg

packageshelf_16.jpg

packageshelf_17.jpg

• Like 2

wow that is freakin awesome! 

maybe one day if i take enough initiative ill swap out my plastic one for a wooden one. it would look so freakin good.

ill stain it to match my Z 'wooden' steering wheel. 

If anyone would like to own the wood shelf that came out (see pics above), please PM me.  I'm willing to sell it for a modest price.

maybe one day if i take enough initiative ill swap out my plastic one for a wooden one. it would look so freakin good.

My old one will give you a head start *hint hint*

• 5 weeks later...