How many volts to coil?

Toney

There are a couple of ways to tell which stroke it is on. What I do is pull the #1 spark plug. Get it to about TDC by looking at the front pulley and checking in the spark plug hole, probably like you already did. Then back the crank off a few degrees, that is rotate the crank so it before TDC. This sounds funny but you are going to jam a finger in the sparkplug hole. Just enough to make a seal. No you can rotate the crank by hand pretty quick past TDC. If you are on the compression stroke, you will feel pressure build or hear air pass by your finger. If you are on the exhaust you won't feel anything.

Also make sure you are turning the engine the right way. I always forget, so I just look at which way the rotor spins when I push the starter. Make sure the rotor is spinning the same way in this process.

If you have the valve cover off, you could simply just look at which valves are opened and closed.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay so if you are on the compression stroke for sure and the spindle is engaged appropriately in the bottom of the dizzy, you can bolt that down and consider it good.

Hainz would know better, but I can't remember what angle the rotor should be at now. And I don't have a reference car at my disposal.

But, if you put the cap on, where does the rotor line up with the number 1 spark plug connector? Remembering which way the rotor spins when it runs, is it way before it, dead center, or way after. If you didn't make too many adjustments, it should be  closer to #1 than the others with the engine at TDC.

Engine at TDC and rotor is just a bit before dead center on #1 in cap however still around 10:30

That seems to be in the ballpark, especially given what tristin said.

At this point, I would follow allow the timing setup in Hainz's video. He knows this part a lot better than I do.

But last time I did this, I got my timing gun out and just started messing around the two adjustments on the dizzy until it fired it up. Then I rotated it to spec.

I think if you follow his vid, and you can't even get it started by adjusting the dizzy to both extremes, we may have another problem.

ok so what i interpreted from watching Banzai's video, the angle of the rotor does not really matter as long as the cap is lined up correctly with the rotor and #1 plug wire point?

ok so what i interpreted from watching Banzai's video, the angle of the rotor does not really matter as long as the cap is lined up correctly with the rotor and #1 plug wire point?

Yes I believe this is true. As long as the cap and rotor align you will get spark. This isn't really a problem in your case, but when or if you upgrade to a matchbox dizzy, you have to get the right pedestal and adjusting plate, otherwise you can never adjust it right. I just got my hands on a matchbox dizzy and it looks like the previous owner didn't have the right adjuster plate. So he sliced it, removed material, and welded it back together to get the right advance.

Also, when you say the rotor is "just a bit before dead center on #1 in cap" does this mean that when engine is at TDC, the rotor is lagging behind dead center on #1 cap. In other words, if the engine were to rotate just a bit more, it would then be lined up exactly with #1 cap? Also, which part of the rotor, the edge of the "T" part, or dead center down the rotor.

I take it you haven't been able to get the engine to at least fire up at all?

I got the center of the T on #1 plug, the engine popped a few times and is definitely sucking up gas it wants to star i can hear it, I'm goin to try having a sandwich and then get back at it

I got the center of the T on #1 plug, the engine popped a few times and is definitely sucking up gas it wants to star i can hear it, I'm goin to try having a sandwich and then get back at it

Sounds like you are in the neighborhood. Last time I had this problem, I didn't have enough advance on my dizzy. I readjusted all and it fired right up.

When I put a new dizzy in I just put it somewhere in the happy middle. Keep in mind there are two adjusments for the advance. You have the lower one where it attaches to the pedistal and another where the indicator is. Where is it now?

Maybe it give it a bit more advance and see if that helps it want to start.

Off the top of my head I think the rotor turns counter clockwise. Think of it this way, if we want more advance, we need to rotate the dizzy body against the direction of the spinning rotor. In other works, if rotor is turning counter clockwise, spin dizzy clockwise. This will make the points open sooner in relation to the crank position.

Also there should be markings near that adjustment plate where the 10mm bolt is. You may have to scrap some grease, but in one direction there should be an "A" or "R". Rotate towards "A".

I am not very knowledgeable on carbs, but the choke shouldn't be too big of deal in hot weather. We have same 32/36 on our L16, and it fires right up with out messing with the choke. We also did a complete valve job too.

Question: Where is the dizzy when it sounds best? Where is the advance? Do you have a second person to help and a timing gun? It is hard to tell when it is barely starting, but it may give you some indication whether you need more advance or not.