Got my B210 GX

roadkill2525

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My '74 had been rebuilt before I bought it but the engine had no power, it had the original 4 sp, A13 and no tach when I bought it.  I was friends with a few people in Wenatchee Washington that were into Datsuns.  There were quite a few Datsuns that were bought wrecked and stripped for parts.  Many parts were swapped and traded among the group.  I ended up with the above dash setup and a 5 speed.  I had already replaced the 4 sp twice for various reasons.  The dash wiring was never changed as far as I know.  All of the wires for the lights and tach were factory taped to the wiring harness.  All I had to do was cut the tape and plug it in, after removing the dashboard of course.  Other mods I did was change out the light switch for a lighted one out of a 200SX.  At one time I had something like 9 of the lighted light switches and wiper switches, no one else wanted them at the time.

• Like 1

My '74 had been rebuilt before I bought it but the engine had no power, it had the original 4 sp, A13 and no tach when I bought it.  I was friends with a few people in Wenatchee Washington that were into Datsuns.  There were quite a few Datsuns that were bought wrecked and stripped for parts.  Many parts were swapped and traded among the group.  I ended up with the above dash setup and a 5 speed.  I had already replaced the 4 sp twice for various reasons.  The dash wiring was never changed as far as I know.  All of the wires for the lights and tach were factory taped to the wiring harness.  All I had to do was cut the tape and plug it in, after removing the dashboard of course.  Other mods I did was change out the light switch for a lighted one out of a 200SX.  At one time I had something like 9 of the lighted light switches and wiper switches, no one else wanted them at the time.

The lit switches sounds cool!  Have any extras?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Congrats on your find. FYI, I've got a new B210 GX emblem for the rear hatch, still in the box. I'm sure I've got other parts both new and used for your car although not a lot in either case. As I run across them I'll try to add them to my online store at www.datsunstore.com

Z man of Washington

360-668-2979

• 2 months later...
Changed the coolant in the Datsun and while I had the skid plate off I repainted it. Stripped of oil, road grime, old paint and surface rust, sprayed with Krylon Rust Tough paints.
IMG_0268_zps0b02fad6.jpg

Mail carrier dropped of this, bought for the exorbitant price of $7.65.
IMG_0271_zps61f252e8.jpg

• Like 3

I learned that the idle screw turns clockwise to reduce idle and per the shop manual  (which you have), do not overtighten the screw because you might damage the pin inside the idle screw.  You probably figured that out by know.

Your skid plate looks outstanding :thumbup:.  I should do mine, I would probably find lost tools, bolts, nuts and screws resting on the other side  :w00t: .

• 6 months later...

Problem was the wire to the automatic choke, old wire was just soldered to the connector. I cut and ground off the solder, found a new spade plug and got everything running fine.

A special thanks to GGZilla for this: http://community.ratsun.net/topic/39141-1978-b210-vacuum-hose-routing/. Made replacing a few vacuum lines easier.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sweet looking ride. I like those Minilites wheels, looks awesome.

Plan on lowering it or leaving it stock.?

For now I plan on keeping at the stock height, eventually I want to do some period correct styling.

I've never found a vacuum line off as raising the idle. It has always lowered the idle.

It might raise the idle if the choke is still on but otherwise it leans the mixture and degrades the idle.

It was the wire to the automatic choke, decided to replace a number of vacuum lines while under the hood.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Got a current problem with the car idling, last week it wouldn't fire but did crank. My dad started while I was a work but would only run at a high idle, after checking the vacuum on a number of items (primary & secondary choke pull off, distributor vacuum advance, BPT, EGR and throttle control valves) it now will idle but doesn't want to stay running without throttle input. Even with adjusting the throttle and idle screws there is no change.

Right now I'm looking at replacing the carburetor since the previous onwer had the original rebuilt, the car is currently at 286,588 miles.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...