Got my B210 GX

roadkill2525

Flywheel mass stores spinning kinetic energy that is used to get a car moving from a stop. The heavier the flywheel the easier to get going. However this is pretty much the only thing it's needed for. The rest of the time it's along for the ride and it needs some engine power to speed it up when accelerating. True you get the power back when slowing down, but it's not available for moving the car. Now a race car stops very seldom so a lightened or no flywheel frees up this energy for use on the track. In addition the extra stored energy of a heavy flywheel isn't fed back into the car when slowing down for a corner. 

Just like carbs and cams, it's better to err on the side of caution and not get carried away when lightening. The lighter you go the more the car will seem to be carrying 3 extra passengers on take offs.  It will accelerate and decelerate faster though, and engine revs will drop more between shifts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 11/2/2018 at 6:53 AM, roadkill2525 said:

I've also looked at lightweight flywheels, are these overkill for a daily driver?

No, they aren't. I dd my 210 with a 6lb flywheel, its fine. After a month you won't even notice the difference. 

On 11/2/2018 at 6:53 AM, roadkill2525 said:

I've also looked at lightweight flywheels, are these overkill for a daily driver?

No, they aren't. I dd my 210 with a 6lb flywheel, its fine. After a month you won't even notice the difference. 

14 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

But would you say it's an improvement?  ?

Absolutely is, response and engine acceleration are greatly improved, starts quicker, rev matching on downshift is effortless, and the car weighs almost 25lbs less. Its not as drastic as people makeit out to be honestly. I've got the 3kg chrome moly 'BProjects' one. Just be sure to order the longer throwout bearing holder if its an A14/15.

On 11/13/2018 at 10:26 AM, afracer said:

Absolutely is, response and engine acceleration are greatly improved, starts quicker, rev matching on downshift is effortless, and the car weighs almost 25lbs less.

Well, I'm still in the "learning to use it" phase right now.

This is my first light flywheel in an A-powered car and take offs have proven to be a bit "challenging"...  ?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think the one you mean is a 32/34 that was or used to be or maybe still is, legal in California?

What I would do is keep the smog legal carburetor and anything else... and put it all back on in two years for your emissions test. In the next 24 months do what ever you like, keeping in mind that it has to be possible to return to stock. Now you have more options.

• 5 months later...
22 hours ago, roadkill2525 said:

Found a clock out of Australia, delivered by a platypus. Circuit board is damaged but repairable.

65054142_2429852560632140_76851180837693

If you fix this or take it apart can you please take lots of pictures. Mine also doesn't work and I've been reluctant to tear into given how hard they are to find.

On 8/6/2019 at 6:30 PM, Dguy210 said:

If you fix this or take it apart can you please take lots of pictures. Mine also doesn't work and I've been reluctant to tear into given how hard they are to find.

Can do

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Currently having the differential overhauled, new bearings for the carrier and pinion. I've got everything aside from the pinion spacer (38165-N5000) which seems to be discontinued, aside from Pitroad-TS.

Anyone might have a source for this part?

• 2 months later...

On the way to work I got hit be a driver who ran a red light, we don't have collision coverage so already starting to look for replacement parts. The biggest thing is the Minilite is toast but still holds air and the driver side leaf is twisted.

72985808_428762831156825_328717864190502

74360834_689845681496749_834541909306664

Ran red light? Did the driver get a ticket? Do they still do a police report? I don't know but, shouldn't the person who hit you pay for the damage?

You don't need collision on your car, that just means you are picking up the tab for your parts if you hit somebody.

Unless I am missing something.

2 hours ago, Fetch said:

Ran red light? Did the driver get a ticket? Do they still do a police report? I don't know but, shouldn't the person who hit you pay for the damage?

You don't need collision on your car, that just means you are picking up the tab for your parts if you hit somebody.

Unless I am missing something.

As stated by the police officers, since we were the only cars there when we hit and both of us are claiming we had a green light the police can't charge anything.

I know I knock big brother most of the time but a traffic camera at a location where there have been numerous accidents would be nice to show what happened.

• 3 years later...

So a bit of an update from then to now.

Found replacement leaf springs and rear end.

Bought parts from Japan; GX and standard bumpers, rear bumper, rear cut to use for said bumper, marker lights, spare taillights, badges and works overfenders.

Acquired a '77 B210 for spares.

Full T3 510 front suspension.

Found a H165 and front seats from a S10 200SX.

Rolled the '78 in January.

Stripped down the '78 to rebuild the '77 "parts car".

B210 1.jpg

B210 2.jpg

Edited by roadkill2525

Going from I-80W to I-680S in Fairfield, it was wet and the back came around with no change to RPM. I I had it back going straight and the surface changed from asphalt to concrete making it snap right across the next into the wall, the front right tire climbed to wall turning it over and as I was rolling over got tagged by a van that had nowhere to go. The seatbelt held me in place and somebody stopped to help me out, ended up with bruises to my knees from the steering column but was fine otherwise.

• 3 weeks later...