My headlights don't work!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the combo switch. Not having a relay means that way too much amperage runs through the crappy contacts in the switch. If you pull the column cover off you may be able to see burn spots on the switch itself. Very common issue for the Z.

Tried most everything suggested.  No use.  The switches at the column appeared clean.  I used contact cleaner on the entire area including the plugs.  Un-plugged and re-plugged all.  Eventually I tried an older switch I had previously replaced.  Used the cleaner to blast the fuse box face and back side.  I also stole a trick from a different site user who suggested grounding the red/ black wire from the low beam.  All a failure.  I am going to button the whole thing up tomorrow and take it to a pro.  Thanks for the responses.  New to the membership.  I have come to the site for a few years now.  All good stuff.  I will try to contribute when I can.  Done a lot of work on mine.  Z's are a true sports car.  A pain like a good family member...tolerable. 

Fixed it.  It was the "Fusible link".  That would seem obvious.  It was not so evident.  We worked to replace bulbs blown in the gauges.  Cleaned up some wiring underneath.  Before packing it in for the day, I moved to the fusible link location and I began to tug ever so slightly on the wires.  The "headlight switch" wire broke free with little effort.  I re-attached the wire with a new connector.  Both headlamp low and high beams were now functional.  Just as information, I researched and found a Site in regard to fusible links--

http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/fusible links/index.html  My case was in regard to a 1976 280Z.  The information will cover: 75,76,77 and an upgrade.  

Standing in front of the car looking into the engine bay, look to the left and to the rear of the strut tower.  There will be two small boxes with four "link" connections.  My links are open/ no covers.  Some will have plastic covers.  From the grille position looking forward, the left near connection link is for the alternator and ignition relay.  The left far link is for the headlight switch.  The right near link is for the ignition switch and the right far link is for the ignition and electronic fuel injection relay.  I had re-connected the headlight switch link in the past.  Obviously, my repair was not sufficient.  I am going to purchase new link connector wires for all.  I hope this will help a few of you. 

Dave Irwin can make a headlight harness and a parking light harness for the 280z. 

The parking light harness should be a 9 pin connector on your '76, same as in the 240 and 260z with the intermittent wipers.

For the headlight harness, you would need a sacrificial 280z harness, using both harness connectors for the headlights and one pigtail for one of the headlights.

It's a simple fix. You need to ground the red/black wire running to the connector directly behind the charcoal canister at the front of the engine compartment on the passenger's side...

KFD