Piston hitting Spark Plug

Ok, I need some advice. Out of the blue my 720 began to misfire so I started to pull spark plugs and on cylinder 2 both plugs were smashed in. So I am not sure but i am guessing the piston is hitting the plug on that cylinder. Ive checked compression it was Ok and I also removed the rod cap on cly 2 and crank shaft and the bearing didnt seem to have that much wear.

What else should i check?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, assuming your are running the correct plugs?

Have the plugs got a washer on them?

Has the head had the beejeebus machined out of it?

If the engine was running ok and this "just happened"' possibly something has gone awry inside.

Pulling the head off to fix this sucks, but, it might be the only way to effectively diagnose the problem.

Good luck with it.

Oh, and post some pics!!

Piston can't hit the plugs on a 720. The reach is wrong (thread depth) or something is rattling around in there. Could be something that fell in the carb or a piece of piston.

Before going wild and the trouble of removing the head try replace with proper NGK BPR6ES intake and BPR5ES (cooler) for the exhaust. If you have something other than NGK possibly the wrong plugs were handed to you. Always run NGK.

• Like 2

oh hell yeah. bosch supposedly makes japanese cars run like shit. 

this doesnt apply to you because its an 'all of a sudden' thing, but sometimes

people have to cut reliefs in pistons to keep from smashing their plugs.

that probably applies to frankenstein motors, high compression motors perhaps

I think getting or borrowing one of those remote camera tools and have a look down the spark plug hole,

and even measuring the stroke, comparing the cylinders with some sort of thin ruler or stick out the plug holes and turn over by hand.

camera like this maybe, 

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Digital-2-4-Video-Car-Inspection-Borescope-Endoscope-10mm-Camera-1m-Snake-Scope-/190849564387?pt=AU_B_I_Electrical_Test_Equipment&hash=item2c6f853ee3&_uhb=1

^ pretty sure thats what happened to my old head, #3 exhaust valve

36596_10151620290118755_1909770739_n.jpg

which is why i couldnt ever get the damn thing to idle right. new carb, rebuilt head, and it was smooth sailing from there.

i think it was due to ingestion of a washer used on the exterior of the carb...

With luck it injested something and passed it out the exhaust. Shit travels at over 20K feet per min in there so even a small nut will hit very hard.

At 6K the L20B piston hits speeds of 56 feet per second (not 20K lol)

• 9 years later...

85 Nissan 720 z24 Yep same thing happened to me today was just driving along it started skipping and a little bit of 

Popping remove spark plug from cylinder 3 and 4 spark plug was bent on top I had some correct used ones did the same thing again going to have to take head off it will crank up just fine but it just sits there and skips wish me luck y'all this is my daily driver I really love this truck it has helped me out a lot 

• Like 1

3 and 4 had plugs that were hit??? That means multiple foreign objects (FOD) for you air force guys. If plugs replaced and happens again then still in there.

Try turning engine till at TDC (look at the valve springs to see if closed) and remove both spark plugs. Use a vacuum cleaner and tape a McDonalds milk shake straw on the end and try to vacuum out the tops of the pistons. 

• Like 2