Restoring Wheels & Flipping Faces

What's up everyone. I just picked up some old school wheels from a member on here for my Z and they need to be cleaned up. It appears that there is some calcium build up on the face of the rim and on the lip. I was wondering what is the best way to get this crap off, I'm mainly worried about scratching the lips. I was thinking some CLR? But what tools do I use?

Also I was wondering if anyone had experience in flipping the faces on their 3 piece rims in order to run a bigger lip? I heard it could be done but is dangerous. 

I really want to get to cleaning up these wheels because I'm in love with them. Here are some pics of the grime.

IMG_20130529_140646_811_zps87850fe5.jpg

IMG_20130529_140637_097_zps5987c5ec.jpg

I'm almost done with the semester and can finally start working on my baby! :geek:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have refinished a few sets of wheels in my time so here's a decent pictorial of my last set of wheels I've done all with store bought items and no special tools so this should give you a decent starting point.

Here are the Panasports as I picked them up from a local swap meet

5c1f10a4.jpg

15fe536d.jpg

Here's each wheel's condition before, they weren't in the greatest shape, definitely not ready for ANY of my cars, including my Miata!

95947f3c.jpg

384b2dea.jpg

39d80b02.jpg

13c69ae8.jpg

5176dbdd.jpg

ae9dd90c.jpg

828f3073.jpg

95947f3c.jpg

So I got a few quotes to get them beadblasted and powdercoated but they all couldn't do it until weeks from when I contacted them (cheaper places get well used apparently)

So I figured screw it, how hard can this be and I'd give it a go myself, so I tried the following in no particular order (not pictured here was the aircraft stripper as well):

69e90d31.jpg

f2462e62.jpg

701a1ee8.jpg

All of these only succeeded at removing ONLY the top clearcoat:

487be804.jpg

50a13e6d.jpg

4e05cfa7.jpg
  • Like 1
So when those paint removers barely made scratch on the factory powder coating, I had to pull out the big guns (well big since I don't have access to a beadblasting machine)

611a83f7.jpg

58f24125.jpg

89c62f90.jpg

07458b90.jpg

This is literally about 2-3 minutes after spraying it on the wheel...it bubbles it up FAST!

8932cde9.jpg

This is the 'Oh man, what did I get myself into' moment:

6766555d.jpg

End result after a second coat of the gasket remover:

02d40fea.jpg

• Like 2

After some more cleaning of residual bits before any sanding:

10f87e0c.jpg

2b8c58fb.jpg

Before and after 1st sanding with 200 grit sand paper:

ac27511c.jpg

a3a5d8e2.jpg

During and after 2nd sanding with 400 grit wet sand paper:

6e6d1138.jpg

eb86992d.jpg

During and after the 3rd sanding with 1200 grit wet sand paper:

f0545ed5.jpg

f80772bd.jpg

During and after the 4th sanding with 1600 grit wet sand paper:

4b44ae06.jpg

2c37cb76.jpg

0fafe71e.jpg

Lip after hand polishing using Mother's polish:

20875115.jpg

All 4 lips after polishing with wool drill bit attachment from Harbor Freight (a whopping $10?):

f6a0bc6b.jpg

cf2eb9fb.jpg

c2df86e4.jpg

49650a30.jpg

Cleaning off the polish residue to get it prepped:

41e3c111.jpg

• Like 1

All cleaned up and ready for paint!:
8f686a73.jpg

Masked:
0eb82ab7.jpg

Painted (silver metallic) after being primered
01197062.jpg

Painted and clear coated:
051b0519.jpg

All masking removed and lips touched up from getting my grubby paw prints on them!:
Oh and BTW, I also did the back barrels of the wheels just didn't take any pics of it.
7df87fe1.jpg
10c2536d.jpg

c2f8a72a.jpg
7df87fe1.jpg

And here they are on my Miata after I was done:
a29d7627.jpg

IMG_94632.jpg

IMG_9460.jpg

I think they came out pretty well considering I didn't have a proper set up to remove the factory powder coating, nor polishing setup...just a bunch of basic methods that I've used a few times.

• Like 3

Wow! Thanks so much for breaking it down step by step for me Dimer! I hope this helps a lot of people. Im definetely going to use this method on my lips. As for my faces, since they are mesh, I think its going to be a bitch to get in all the holes. I was planning on just getting the grime off and re spraying them. Any idea on what I should use?

Your rims look brand new!

Edit: Did you only sand the lips? And just used gasket remover on the face?

Wow! Thanks so much for breaking it down step by step for me Dimer! I hope this helps a lot of people. Im definetely going to use this method on my lips. As for my faces, since they are mesh, I think its going to be a bitch to get in all the holes. I was planning on just getting the grime off and re spraying them. Any idea on what I should use?

Your rims look brand new!

Edit: Did you only sand the lips? And just used gasket remover on the face?

Thanks!

Yes and no.

Yes I did sand the lips only but I i did use the paint remover on the entire wheel (lips and face) but since the lips were only clear coated, it removed it from the lips but didn't even scratch the factory powder coating.

No I did not use the gasket remover on the lips, just the face.

I've done mesh wheels in the past, I think it was the first set I did and I used the JASCO gel like stuff with a toothbrush to get in the nooks and crannies and let it do its thing to bubble the paint up.  It's a tedious process but you can do it.  Just make sure to try to get all the paint off otherwise if you give up and just spray over any left on paint it will look half assed so once you commit, you have to finish the job.

Oh and I forgot to mention you have to used the aerosol gasket remover, not the stupid pump spray one they sell here in CA so it might be hard for us CA guys to find.  :(

Here’s my Watanabe wheels I also refurbished for a second time since I was lazy the first time around and just painted and clear coated the lips instead of polishing them…what a mistake! :P

Before:

IMG_3160.jpg

IMG_3167.jpg

IMG_3168.jpg

Close up of Lip & logo:

IMG_3161.jpg

IMG_3164.jpg

Clear coat sanded off lip:

IMG_3171.jpg

IMG_3172.jpg

IMG_3174.jpg

Bolts removed:

IMG_3211.jpg

Face/Barrel separated (hammered out):

IMG_3222.jpg

Face prior to stripping:

IMG_3257.jpg

Face being stripped:

IMG_3276.jpg

Barrel before polishing:

IMG_3326.jpg

IMG_3329.jpg

IMG_3565.jpg

Barrel rear side before:

IMG_3852.jpg

IMG_3853.jpg

Barrel rear side cleaned up:

IMG_3854.jpg

Old hardware: I tried salvaging by cleaning them:

IMG_3669.jpg

But decided it wasn’t worth the risk so I got the proper grade hardware from Fastenal.com (you CAN'T use hardware store quality nuts/bolts here guys!)

IMG_3778.jpg

Nice and Shiny:

IMG_3780.jpg

IMG_3783.jpg

Face paint removed:

IMG_3795.jpg

Face primered:

IMG_3796.jpg

Face painted:

IMG_3798.jpg

• Like 1

The lips on the Wantanbes look like mine. I'll be sure to post the results once I get them done. Hopefully I can start working on them next week or so. Thanks for all the help Dimer, your wheels look great!

Glad it can help you out and good luck with your wheels.  Just keep at it when all looks like you're in for big mess, it will pay off! :P

Those Watanabes make me want to jizz.. although I'm not really feeling the white(?) faces on them though. Still, after saying that, I'd still rock them. haha

Also, I can't believe that gasket remover spray did all of that!

They're not white, it's a light grey (Winter's grey) and I'm not out to try to please anyone on what color haha! :)

I tried the graphite and hated it, same for black wheels and silver wheels seem too boring so this color will look nice and contrast well once they're back on my blue wagon.

Ok so I finished sanding my lips and they look a lot better. Everything is smooth but I still have some blemishes where all the old corrosion was. Will this stuff buff out? Everything is smooth and I went over it multiple times while sanding but nothing comes off. :crying: 

after_zpsfcebe680.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've been starting to restore wheels, and im still in the process of it, but I've been sodablasting my car and I'll do the wheels in a couple days, and anyways if the stuff on the rear of the wheel is just grime that's in the paint, sodablasting or just sanding it will work, just takes some time though

• 2 weeks later...

Homeboyx: I've had libra wheels that were just like yours.  Just get a wire wheel that you attach to a drill and go to town on it.  For the tough spots just press the wheel a little harder in that spot.  Give it a try and repost pictures afterward! :)

492bc4e8-5bf0-4b8e-84a3-1a7301c68d75_400

• 2 weeks later...

I should've updated this a while ago... After sanding them with 220(?) grit and still not being satisfied with results I decided to wire wheel it as suggested. I didn't dig deep, I only did just enought to scratch the surface bit off.

SAM_1111_zpsa227de62.jpg

I still plan to spray paint them some color so I can get that really clean look. Not sure what kind of color I should use yet to be honest..

• Like 1