--- My BLUE 240z ---

I'm BLUE

Love all the progress, I really need to work on mine. Sucks going to school, and having a low paying job.

Thanks Prime ! Not much progress here though ... I'm like a fawking turtle with progress stuff ... :lol:

Going to school is one of the best things to do = earn more money in future = moar datsun to play with ! :devil: :lol:

• Like 1
  • Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice, I love my 4.11, so much fun. Actually thinking about going even further to a 4.44 when I pick up a subi dif lol. 

Those shafts are interesting. It looks like you could use maxima companion flanges and adapt those pick up shafts to have bolt in zx cv's on the cheap. 

• Like 1

OR,

Be adopted by DTP = Play with his Datsuns = Bitch when he won't let you drink his beer :devil:

:lol:

Nice, I love my 4.11, so much fun. Actually thinking about going even further to a 4.44 when I pick up a subi dif lol. 

Those shafts are interesting. It looks like you could use maxima companion flanges and adapt those pick up shafts to have bolt in zx cv's on the cheap. 

:lol: nice Jay that's good to know (really) !

I've been itching to try it !

Geebus 4.44 ... :rofl: ... :devil: ... that be a screamer !!

Right !!! I was thinking they were cool as well.... and adaptable to something , but brain wandered off (like usual lol)

Holy crap ... I never thought about that ( then again I've never have worked on those years of maxi's ... so ... yeah ... I fail)

Dang ... that's a sweet concept ... I won't stop thinking about that now lol.

I havent locked that choice in yet, 3500 rpm to do 75mph may get old after a couple hours on the highway lol. 1/4 mile monster though :-)

Ya they look like the same 6 bolt pattern as the maxi/zx shafts. Even if they dont match there is so much meat you could just redrill it however. Then on the wheel side the 1st gen maxi companion flanges are the same pattern as the zx cv's for sure and are bolt on for s30's. Seems like a REALLY cheap and easy way to get cvs for you lol. 

I'm going to get a cheap subi dif and weld up my own shafts using zx cvs and the maxi companion flanges I've had squirreled away for like 5 years. Not looking forward to it that nut on there is what like 5000000lbs of tq to spec? lmao then having to peen it after too... joy

• Like 1

I havent locked that choice in yet, 3500 rpm to do 75mph may get old after a couple hours on the highway lol. 1/4 mile monster though :-)

Ya they look like the same 6 bolt pattern as the maxi/zx shafts. Even if they dont match there is so much meat you could just redrill it however. Then on the wheel side the 1st gen maxi companion flanges are the same pattern as the zx cv's for sure and are bolt on for s30's. Seems like a REALLY cheap and easy way to get cvs for you lol. 

I'm going to get a cheap subi dif and weld up my own shafts using zx cvs and the maxi companion flanges I've had squirreled away for like 5 years. Not looking forward to it that nut on there is what like 5000000lbs of tq to spec? lmao then having to peen it after too... joy

lol..75mph at 3500rpm... yeah but it'd be worth it .. for the first 2-weeks ... lol

1/4 mile ... now there's a though lol :devil:

Cool Cool...

EXACTLY ! yup yup just re-position/re-drill if the pattern doesn't match ... indeed !

OH !!! I didn't realize that at all about the 1st gen maxima companion flanges... Thanks for the info :thumbup: ( I had assumed something of the nature , but wasn't sure lol )

Geese... you're braver than I am. Sounds like a killer lil combo though for sure... :ninja:

:rofl: ... no I think that nut is only about 3,000,000 ft lb's .... stop exagerating ... :lol:

Well sh#$ ... looks like I know nothing about maxima's .... lolol .... need more reading !

Wow, look at all those pics of legitimate work! I never realized what exactly the process is to swap out stub shafts.. now I know. Keep it up, that 4:11 is gonna be awesome in your Z, bro..

I need to drop a car or two off at your place, then maybe they'll get done B)

• Like 1

Wow, look at all those pics of legitimate work! I never realized what exactly the process is to swap out stub shafts.. now I know. Keep it up, that 4:11 is gonna be awesome in your Z, bro..

I need to drop a car or two off at your place, then maybe they'll get done B)

Yeah bro ! It's nice to get the small stuff started ya know :lol:

You and me both.

I didn't realize the stub shaft swap was this straight forward (literally like changing oil in my case).

Honestly.. I was a bit timid into "believing" it could be just that straight-forward , and decided to do moar research before attempting.

Yesterday I finally said "fawk it.. let's do this !" and pulled out the old shafts ... counted splines ... a-ok ... swapped in new ... whatta know ?

I guess I got lucky , and didn't end up with an R180 that I had to swap out those pesky buttons from a donor R180 in order to make things work :).

Thanks mang ,,, I will keep it up :thumbup: ,,, or die on my couch not trying............ :lol: ....

Awwww yeah... I'm looking forward to the 4.11 swap from a 3.36 ... should be drastic .... of course the complimentary 5spd will have to go with anything above 3.70 gears ... :sneaky:

:rofl: .... I'm not sure your cars are safe in my hands ...... are you ok with a datsun or two of yours being painted blue while at DTP's datsun therapy center ? ( I hear it's ran by one droolling trolling bass-turd that's not sure how to tie his shoes half the time..)

awww yeah.... TURTLE POWER !!!

Thanks Prime ! Not much progress here though ... I'm like a fawking turtle with progress stuff ... :lol:

Going to school is one of the best things to do = earn more money in future = moar datsun to play with ! :devil: :lol:

Exactly what is going to happen. Especially when you get a good paying job and have no kids.

• Like 1

Exactly what is going to happen. Especially when you get a good paying job and have no kids.

GOOD MAN !!  Keep on Keeping on Prime... :thumbup:

you just changed my life......

WANT ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's great to hear... I posted those pictures specifically hoping someone would find them useful :thumbup:

I bought mine from Harbor Freight years ago ... a couple times ... I Use a soft mallet , rubber mallet or dead-blow hammer... against the aluminum handle :)

I didn't notice, but did you put grease on the side seals?

Also, I'm curious about the dimensions on the stub axles you pulled out. 

ID on the flange

and dimensions on the holes. but can't explain it, i guess I will have to take a pic and do some marking.

They look like the same flange for turbo and 2+2 on the axle shaft.

stubaxlesr1806bolt_zps7fbb3c73.jpg

• Like 1

ive bought sockets that are the same size as a few diff seals in the past just to do what that kit does and i bet iut costs 1/2 what the socket cost me for an axel seal on my truck.... 

the more you know :/ 

The more you know is right ! ... I don't know near enough of anything and realize how little I really know overtime more and more... :rofl: ...

Sockets are still a good way to go in many situations depending on whats needed right eh ?  :) (block of wood to)

ID on the flange

and dimensions on the holes. but can't explain it, i guess I will have to take a pic and do some marking.

I ended up smearing gear oil on the seals before shafts were bolted in.

lol ... looks like you , 72240z , and I are all curious about the stub axles that came out.

Nice clarification on the pic !

I'll measure that and report back to ya !

It is interesting to say the least.

--- Starter --- (more small stuff..)

Picked this "believed to be good" 280zx gear reduction unit up for my BLUE z ! :)

1371077273_zpsacf28f9f.jpg

Pulled out the old starter

1371077298_zps46baa960.jpg

I had to scrounge around for a couple washers for the top starter bolt.. needed to be shimmed as it bottomed out to early.. doh ! :D

Took about 2-seconds to install this ... :lol:

1371077318_zps9abc897d.jpg

You can see the two extra washers on the top starter bolt in this picture..

1371077335_zps844b8b9b.jpg

---- Front Brakes ----  ( yup you guess it even more tiny tasks... :lol: )

Decided to slap on the ceramic pads today , and inspect the front brakes/hardware/clean + lube = happy BLUE.

I'm going to cheat on how I'm doing the pads ... won't be pulling the caliper... muahahha :sneaky:

I bought some supplies.

1371077356_zps247bdd27.jpg

loosen wheels in a criss-cross pattern.

1371077383_zps386972b2.jpg

th_1371077424_zps23718355.jpg

Pulled the tire off and stuck under the car in-case it decided to try to murder me...

1371077472_zps75e2c9ea.jpg

Brakes look a little rusty..  :-/ not to bad really.

1371077523_zpscbb6c7ac.jpg

Pads have plenty of life.. and hardware looks mucked up :-/

1371077547_zps0d631658.jpg

Sprayed it all down with brake clean before touching.

1371077573_zps32414951.jpg

(2) slider pins retain the pads and keep them located. A tool points to the top one in this pic

1371077592_zps00e2e4ef.jpg

Both pins are held/retained in by a retaining pin ( I can't remember the name of it atm lol der derrrrr ).

Stuck a sharp tool in there to get a "grip".

1371077611_zps79313564.jpg

Slid it all the way onto the shaft then YANKED it ... very little chance it goes anywhere if done right.

1371077630_zps427b9365.jpg

one more post...

Bottom pin located.

1371077672_zps3c481a7d.jpg

Hooked a sharp tool into the retainer and yanked (gently).

1371077693_zpse2b52664.jpg

Both retainers look like this.

1371077710_zpsf12e138e.jpg

Slid out the top pin..

1371077760_zpsdab48903.jpg

Slid out the bottom pin..

It's very evident both pins will either need to be cleaned up inspected quickly and/or replaced entirely.

1371077779_zps201fb289.jpg

^^^ I opted to clean them with a wire wheel and stick them back in as that's what I was working with for the day :)

1371077801_zps622475ed.jpg

Pulled in the inner anti-rattle clip

1371077824_zpscda41208.jpg

Pulled the outter anti-rattle clip

Both of these had plenty of "spring".

1371077843_zpse1a3db32.jpg

lol.... cheater cheater pumpkin eater ... lol

1371077869_zpsb049a2b2.jpg

New ceramic pads have sparkly stuff on them... gold sparkly ... :blink: :ninja: :ninja: :ninja:

1371077899_zps44d62d59.jpg

Outer pad ,,, lubed up ,,, and slid in.

1371077936_zps22d76b92.jpg

Inner pad ... lubed up ,,, and slid in

1371077964_zps41c62d23.jpg

1371077989_zps51e946f8.jpg

Pins , shims , pads , contact points all lubed !

1371078007_zpscdcb61a0.jpg

Old pads.

1371078036_zps4a28f1c8.jpg

I'm normally not taken in by marketing , but I like this... lol

1371078059_zpsb7801345.jpg

Passenger's side taken inspected , cleaned , taken apart , cleaned + lubed , then back together.

1371078085_zpsd26d95e9.jpg

New pads.. and rest is all lubed up

1371078112_zpsa9ff5845.jpg

1371078133_zpsba704794.jpg

1371078200_zpse8343b88-1_zps47bc30b3.jpg

Front brakes are done ,,, will check/inspect/clean/replace rear's soon if need be ....

Off the bat = The ceramic pads feel good... they feel quite a bit better than the previous pads that were there. I'll give it some time and brake them in...

I may end up refreshing/re-sealing the entire brake system regardless ... we shall see.

...... hmmmm looks like I must wash and wax Blue soon ....

... And figure out a rear-bumper .... soon .... ( I have something cooking , but not sure how it will lay out ... til then ! )

:ninja:

Where did you get the 4.11 r180 from? Front axle on a 4x4 720?

Yes sir ! Straight off a 720 front end.

I'm sure you're well aware already of this though !

Some are 4.11 front diff's are a bit harder to find in my area sometimes...

more 4.375's are lying around that I have noticed.

I suppose there are other gear-sets/ratio's , but I am not a savy 720 guy ... ( don't quote me entirely )

I just grab a paint stick ... then mark the pinion and stub axle ... and count the ratio's to find what I want ... lazy I know ... :lol: (then confirm).

ill trade you a blue wagon for a blue z car? :lol:

:lol: :cool:

Why do that when we can glue them together .... front 510 one end .... front z on other .... 50% custody .... more negative camber .... 0 cargo space ....

Do we make tow behind trailers with what's left of the 2 ? :rofl:

ID on the flange

Darrel,

ID of flange (yellow) = 4 1/8" inches (dang close either way)

Edge to Edge of each hole (red) marked line criss-cross fashion measurement (both same distance) = 3 7/16" inches (dang close either way)

I hope that's what you were looking for.