• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

After I got the fog lights restored (which I will document in another thread) I installed a bar on them

029_zps2hfy4w40.jpg

030_zpsg1asrqzd.jpg
This picture is about 10-11 months ago, so this will be the last update of the car in it's previous form. A lot has happened since then. its not the same car anymore. I will update some today and continue until its current. Sorry for the delays but I simply didnt have the ability to sit down and fix this entire thread from the Photobucket issues, though it was on my agenda for things to do in 2018. Thankfully Photobucket pulled their heads out of their asses. Hell, I might even pay for thier service now.....haha.

The Nissan L28ET turbo manifold is a piece of crap.

Im going to put that out in the open right away. I sold it, and dont plan on ever owning one ever again for any reason other than a paperweight.

At 38 years old, and getting older, this cast iron is not holding up, its not holding power, it has no resilience, and worst of all, its not doing what we as engine builders in 2018,  need our engines to do.

I decided to build a new manifold. I had two requirements

1: Semi equal length design (all runners within 1-2 inches length with design considerations)

2: external wastegate

3(option): original Hitachi AC pump fitment.

I began by getting L6 flanges from a friend who had them. I used a combination of ASTm Weld Els and ASTM bends. All Schedule 40 mild. This was intentional because I plan on ceramic coating the manifold. I am not going to make 30 posts about my fabrication process. That would take a 5 page thread to explain how it was done and show all the pictures. I may do that soon, but not in this thread. The turbo sits in an ideal location for a lot of cars. I used a TiAl F38 wastegate. Extremely reliable for this hot location and running no water lines to my gate.

Everything was hand cut, every part was built by myself at our shop.the collector goes in 3 different directions to make it fit in the area easily without intruding ont he steering shaft. I use a LInde UCC-305 TIG power supply for equipment with a WeldCraft 310 torch.

006_zpscydoswiy.jpg
010_zpsglkwsoyp.jpeg
008_zps2l6tfzn0.jpg

006_zps5lmgmso2.jpg

The ports after porting

047_zpsqrejl3ey.jpg

And after she returned from ceremic coating.

510_zpsqunjedto.jpg

• Like 1

Tial F38 set at 8.5 PSI (will be changed to 14.5 PSI before the dyno and  then boost control)
073_zpsx4g7y8ox.jpg

The turbo is a rebuilt T3/T4 hybrid, AGP .82 back housing. I believe its a 60/68 but Im not entirely certain to be honest. This is a rebuilt NPR turbo with different housings. I dont have a picture of it assembled after ceremic coating. But this is the housing with the EGT bung welded in. I am running a mass EGT location so I can monitor gas temps. I am using an HKS EGT gauge.
009_zpskctg6cw6.jpg

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

To address the oil pan....

Skylines, Glorias, and Maximas are all front sumped oil pans, meaning that the majority of foreign L engines are going to be front sumped and very dificult to use in a Z car. However the front sump going into a 910, R30, KPGC10 or 110, or Gloria is almost just as dificult.

This was the most dificult part of the swap into a Maxima, or any other front engined car I would imagine.

083_zpsok7nc3r7.jpg

This is a very much Machinist task. If you arent confident you can do this, dont even try. But I will willingly rent anyone the Jig for $40 shipped. I am a Machinist. This is what I do every day and all day, nothing was out of the ordinary for this task and I still was not excited to do it.

546_zpsdr5qqtts.jpg

Then afterwards you must tap the holes carefully. This cast should leave an absolutely beautiful thread if yo completed the job correctly.

547_zpsi5brimai.jpg

Edited by captaingamez
  • Like 2
  • 4 years later...

Im not sure what happened to the posts but I know this was updated since 2018.

Oh well a lot has happened since then . I have been off the forums for a while. I believe I will start updating this again.

Current status of the car is its been sitting for the last year just getting upgrades.

It has mostly been on the road since then with two different engine builds, both the same block but it ran 395tq and 367hp onthe dyno with the stock L28ET i was installing in the last few pages.

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

These are from when I got the car running and tuned with the turbo engine.. It was still running an Ebay BOV and intercooler at this point, I ran it like this for about a year befor4e upgrading the Intercooler. the BOV left quick because they are junk. First and last time for ebay BOV lol. its been running a TiAL QR since shortly after this.

IMG_20180331_134515_193.jpg

IMG_20180403_102659_350.jpg

• Like 6