POST Craigslist eBay ads here...

• Replies 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks to be a 1980 L20b motor with the good closed chamber head up for sale on Ebay cheap (no affiliation.)  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nissan-Datsun-200sx-510-610-710-pickup-L20B-Engine-/301899081846?hash=item464a966876:g:lb0AAOSwcBhWZM6v&vxp=mtr

If it was in my area, I'd already be there, cash in hand.  

saw that the other day, to bad he doesn't ship or I would have bought it lol

Strange.  I don't see why a seller would care, but I have heard of other sellers not wanting to sell if shipping is involved.  

My question is how do you purchase a car from another state safely to have it shipped to you without getting ripped off?  I would like to purchase from other states without having to fly out to the location, but seems risky.  Any tips??

W58s were open chamber. 'in good condition' does this mean nothing broken? 'cause not complete, no manifolds, distributor, block vent (and that's just this side)... $200 for a non runner is a bit rich.

They are open or closed. I have a closed one in my garage.

Strange.  I don't see why a seller would care, but I have heard of other sellers not wanting to sell if shipping is involved.  

My question is how do you purchase a car from another state safely to have it shipped to you without getting ripped off?  I would like to purchase from other states without having to fly out to the location, but seems risky.  Any tips??

I used escrow.com

there are different option on there sit it does cost a little bit with wire transfer fees and all about $100 they also do a tittle hold but I did not do that. that is like extra $60

• Like 2

I used escrow.com

there are different option on there sit it does cost a little bit with wire transfer fees and all about $100 they also do a tittle hold but I did not do that. that is like extra $60

Thanks for the feedback!

They are open or closed. I have a closed one in my garage.

There are closed chamber heads, I found one once but rare. I doubt Nissan put a mixture of open or closed W58 heads on the L20B randomly and they sure are not on one specific model or year or we would know about them. The difference is 8.4 and 8.9 in compression. This would have knocked the emissions ratings for a loop and why '70s compression ratios never went above 8.5. It's more likely they came over as low mileage import parts or on low mileage import engines which were cheaper than doing a valve job or rebuilding the complete engines. Import engines would also explain Dual Hitachi SUs on L series intakes, long dogleg transmissions and the rare 219 head that was only available on the L16/L18 SSS engines. All thrown in containers and imported here in the 70/80s.

The N American W58 open chamber is 11041-W5880. If anyone has the part number for a closed chamber W58 head, let me know. I imagine though that it is a JDM head or non N American part only.

It ran great before i parked it. Is a great none running project. Tow is needed.  

massiveeyeroll.gif

So much for the engine. Wonder if it has zx struts? Brakes? How was it lowered? What ratio diff? Interior/dash/seats?

• Like 3

There are closed chamber heads, I found one once but rare. I doubt Nissan put a mixture of open or closed W58 heads on the L20B randomly and they sure are not on one specific model or year or we would know about them. The difference is 8.4 and 8.9 in compression. This would have knocked the emissions ratings for a loop and why '70s compression ratios never went above 8.5. It's more likely they came over as low mileage import parts or on low mileage import engines which were cheaper than doing a valve job or rebuilding the complete engines. Import engines would also explain Dual Hitachi SUs on L series intakes, long dogleg transmissions and the rare 219 head that was only available on the L16/L18 SSS engines. All thrown in containers and imported here in the 70/80s.

The N American W58 open chamber is 11041-W5880. If anyone has the part number for a closed chamber W58 head, let me know. I imagine though that it is a JDM head or non N American part only.

Yep, you're probably right about that. It still is a smog head though. Liners are present.

I bought a Washington state DOT 1980 720 at auction ( directly from state at surplus auction in about 1987-88 ) and it had a W58 peanut on it,,,, then about a year ago a dude bought an 80 that was the same Wa state DOT bright orange-yellow color and it had a peanut on it also..   Dunno nothing else but that's my story

• Like 2

I bought a Washington state DOT 1980 720 at auction ( directly from state at surplus auction in about 1987-88 ) and it had a W58 peanut on it,,,, then about a year ago a dude bought an 80 that was the same Wa state DOT bright orange-yellow color and it had a peanut on it also..   Dunno nothing else but that's my story

noice contribution ...