Adjusting the hood on the 510

hello guys im looking for some info on how to adjust the hood the rite way on my 510

this is what i have going on, as you see the difference, i would like it to sit level 

any help or a link?

thx farmer

datsunrack043_zps4d2038ac.jpg

datsunrack044_zps6bd2e861.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya know my cars hood and trim sit just like yours.If i try to level out the hood trim with the eyebrow moulding the hood sits higher than the fender.Theres also a little bit of difference front to back.My car has never been wrecked.Im thinking thats how its supposed to look.You can adjust your hood heighth at the hood latch.Loosen the big nut and then you can turn the screw.It will change how far down the hood sits.

hey thx john thats what i did 

rite after i posted that i went back out there and figured it out

and yes i do think maybe they do sit like that 

for 1 after doing the above mentioned adjustment

it would sit level but the hood  release would not release the catch

and 2 the side of the hood would sit higher than the fender

so i found a happy medium

but now i noticed that when its idling the hood looks like its rocking back a forth

almost like it needs hood bumpers under the far corners

well here is a pic of my happy medium

before012_zpse2bc95b5.jpg

and thx again john

my name is john also

thx farmer

I do not know about 510 hoods, but 521 hoods rest on some rubber bumpers that hold the hood at the right height.  The hood catch pulls the hood down on the bumpers, enough to prevent the hood from wobbling, or fluttering in the wind.

• Like 1

on some of the later 510 I have seen a nut in the core support that you can put a threaded rubber bumper in and adjust side to side height

not sure what years had them but my 72 did and my 68 dosnt

but now i noticed that when its idling the hood looks like its rocking back a forth

The 510's have two rubber bumpers on each side one in the front and one in the back, the front one is thicker than the rear one

i added a 1/4" thick strip of rubber on top of the bumpers and have it adjusted against it.

aligned nicely and no vibrations at any speed.

Hey farmer, based on the pics, it looks like your hood was low but is also a bit too far forward.  Not familiar with the 510 hood specifically, but most hoods can be loosened at the hinges and adjusted front to back slightly.  It looks like sliding it back a little would line it up well.

521 hood "bumpers" install in holes on the fender to engine compartment flange.  They are oversized for most other uses, fortunately!  A few judicous cuts with a razor blade or utility knife will allow installation and eliminate side to side vibration and provide enough elevation that just may be what you need to align the front fascia.