Dually rearend issues, I need some info.

wayno

OK, I have touched on this before, and I need to figure this out, this is the type of rearend we are talking about, it is the heavy duty 720 dually rearend, it looks like the late 4X4 rearend case.

This is what the spiders look like,

DSCN1431_zps30002123.jpg

and this is the issue, the shaft holding the side side gears has made the hole it is in oval.

DSCN1428_zpsa4be8bf1.jpg

You can see, it is significantly damaged.

DSCN1429_zps92f00d21.jpg

DSCN1430_zpse59b2110.jpg

I need to fix this, it made no howling noise, the only reason I figured out it was bad, was the bell type noise the driveline made when it(the shaft in the carrier) shifted in its hole, there is no slop in the ring and pinion, it just makes the driveline clang like a bell.

Is this the same setup that is in the late type 720 4X4 rearend, I need to either fix it, or I am going to weld it solid, but that will permanently fix the spiders in the carrier without any chance of ever removing them.

The issue is that my dually rearend in my work truck now is making the same clanging noise this one was making, it's not near as loud yet, but it is definitely the same noise, I need to figure out what avenue to go fairly soon, I have another dually rearend out back, but it has 4.625 gearing in it, and while I am sure that will slow me down on the freeway, I really don't want to be turning 4000+rpms just trying to keep up with traffic, I have 437s now, and they are just fine for what I use the truck for.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

looks like a c200 from a 720..

was there any tag on it or any way else to identify it?

I know that is what it looks like, but I don't want to buy the guts out of a C200 just to find out it won't work, so I was hoping that someone here that knows for sure could chime in.

Here are couple more photos of what the rearend looks like, I need to know if the C200 guts will fit into this housing.

DSCN1432_zps1088b738.jpg

DSCN1433_zps0df98596.jpg

BTW, I don't see any tags or the like on it.

• 3 weeks later...

I had this same problem with a Opel I had years ago. Mine was making a clunking sound every revolution when the shaft would come around and hit the pinion gear. As a temporary fix (and since it was shot anyways) I welded the ends of the spider shaft to the housing with cast iron welding rod while I looked for another rear end. This ended up being the way to go, as I never did find another rear end and continued to put 60,000 miles on the car without it breaking.

The bell sound your hearing has me a bit confused? This could be a second problem of a u-joint going out?

I had this same problem with a Opel I had years ago. Mine was making a clunking sound every revolution when the shaft would come around and hit the pinion gear. As a temporary fix (and since it was shot anyways) I welded the ends of the spider shaft to the housing with cast iron welding rod while I looked for another rear end. This ended up being the way to go, as I never did find another rear end and continued to put 60,000 miles on the car without it breaking.

The bell sound your hearing has me a bit confused? This could be a second problem of a u-joint going out?

The clang is the driveline acting like a wind chime, it sounds sort of like a bell, and when I changed the last rearend out that made this exact sound, it went away while using the same driveline/u-joints, now the second one is starting to make the noise also.

I have been considering welding it up like you mentioned, but I was hoping that the C200 rearend carriers would fit, but no one on here has told me one way or the other, and I don't want to buy one just to see, as I have no use for that type of rearend other than the dually type.

• 1 month later...

I have now removed the carrier housing from this axle housing, I would appreciate it if someone could tell me if the hardbody type rearend carrier housing is the same as this dually axle carrier housing.

Here are the photos, if someone needs a specific photo, just ask, I will take a photo.

DSCN1525_zps7b8f03cf.jpg

DSCN1526_zps0ac5a1b2.jpg

DSCN1527_zps7c65b9c3.jpg

DSCN1528_zpsec6b07ba.jpg

DSCN1529_zpse3705a1f.jpg

DSCN1530_zpse73f3ec6.jpg

I can put my ring gear onto the new carrier housing, but I need to know if the C200 carrier housings are all the same.

The tag would likely look like this on the dually truck, would that late 720 4X4 axle have the same guts?

P3220029.jpg