What brake master cylinders are people using on rear disc brake 510's?

I know the 79-81 280zx BMC's are direct bolt on, but they are NLA everywhere and even if they did they have them, they're remains and don't come with the rods or reservoirs.

I've tried:

3 local parts stores

Rock auto

Auto zone

Advanced Auto Parts

Pep boys

I've tried ordering them online too, just to get a canceled order. And I am not paying $400 on eBay for one either. So my question is, what are other options bolt on options.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like you "know" you want to buy the wrong master cylinder ...... :rofl: ........ . the 280zx 15/16ths master is WAY too big for a 510 ..... the brake pedal will feel like a brick ..... and there's 2 different styles of 280zx masters (vertical mounting holes, and horizontal)

the stock 3/4" 510 master is okay ...... .. but if you want a firmer pedal AND have upgraded (bigger) brakes ...... then a 7/8ths master might be right for you

What brakes are you running now??? what will you be running in the future??? do you ever want power brakes (like a B210 booster)??? .. what size wheels do you want when the car is finished?

• Like 1

Sounds like you "know" you want to buy the wrong master cylinder ...... :rofl: ........ . the 280zx 15/16ths master is WAY too big for a 510 ..... the brake pedal will feel like a brick ..... and there's 2 different styles of 280zx masters (vertical mounting holes, and horizontal)

the stock 3/4" 510 master is okay ...... .. but if you want a firmer pedal AND have upgraded (bigger) brakes ...... then a 7/8ths master might be right for you

What brakes are you running now??? what will you be running in the future??? do you ever want power brakes (like a B210 booster)??? .. what size wheels do you want when the car is finished?

I have 280zx brakes in the front and s14 rcalipers in the rear. That is why I can't use the stock 510 bmc. Did you not read the title?

Did you not read the title?

Your title doesn't indicate much anything about your brake setup, nor does it eliminate the use of the stock master.  Additionally, your title has nothing to do with what you're posting.  The first question was, "what are people using?,"  And then you proceeded to ask people where to get 280zx masters.

To answer your first question, I just swapped 200sx calipers on the back of my goon, and the stock master is totally fine with stock front struts.  The pedal feels 100% normal.

Your title doesn't indicate much anything about your brake setup, nor does it eliminate the use of the stock master.  Additionally, your title has nothing to do with what you're posting.  The first question was, "what are people using?,"  And then you proceeded to ask people where to get 280zx masters.

To answer your first question, I just swapped 200sx calipers on the back of my goon, and the stock master is totally fine with stock front struts.  The pedal feels 100% normal.

Well, obviously it is indicating that I have rear discs on a 510. That was my reply towards him because he responded towards me as if I had stock drums in the rear, when the title obviously states that I must have an upgraded brake setup. Second, I didn't ask where to buy a 280zx BMC, because I have come to the conclusion that they're NLA everywhere. My second question is a follow up to the first.

-Its OK Robin, you can put your cape away. Batman doesn't need to be saved today.

To keep the thread on subject, my stock BMC is no good so that option is out the window & from my readings everyone says that a bigger BMC is necessary when you have rear disc. Have I misread?

you must be looking in the wrong places because a reman zx one can be had the rod and resevours come off the stock 510 unit i only see that as an issue if you no longer have the stocker you just said its no good not missing there is nothing wrong with remans thats what im running in my car and have been since 2004 

you must be looking in the wrong places because a reman zx one can be had the rod and resevours come off the stock 510 unit i only see that as an issue if you no longer have the stocker you just said its no good not missing there is nothing wrong with remans thats what im running in my car and have been since 2004

I don't have a problem with remains either, its just that I didn't know that the rods & reservoir were interchangeable. Where did you buy yours?

I was just saying a 7/8ths master will probably feel better than the bigger 15/16ths master .... .. .  something like a later 70's 280z (I think?) master not a 280zx master

When I used to have 4whl willwoods from Troy .... ... the kit came with a 7/8ths master ....... ... . the stock 510 push rod should fit any master cylinder

If you know where to get a 79-80' zx reman please tell us where.   In 2004 they may have been available but they are not now. 

I just bought an 80' 200sx 7/8" master that fits in the stock 510 location.  The rod that goes into the master will need to be modified but I'm pretty confident this master will work.  It was designed for discs all around.

Well, obviously it is indicating that I have rear discs on a 510. That was my reply towards him because he responded towards me as if I had stock drums in the rear, when the title obviously states that I must have an upgraded brake setup. Second, I didn't ask where to buy a 280zx BMC, because I have come to the conclusion that they're NLA everywhere. My second question is a follow up to the first.

-Its OK Robin, you can put your cape away. Batman doesn't need to be saved today.

To keep the thread on subject, my stock BMC is no good so that option is out the window & from my readings everyone says that a bigger BMC is necessary when you have rear disc. Have I misread?

Hey man, just trying to help you communicate.  You probably won't get the answer you want by making people fill in the blanks for you.  It happens all the time on here.  Saying you have rear discs doesn't mean you're running 280zx fronts, which in my opinion make a much bigger difference in which master you run.

I was just saying a 7/8ths master will probably feel better than the bigger 15/16ths master .... .. .  something like a later 70's 280z (I think?) master not a 280zx master

When I used to have 4whl willwoods from Troy .... ... the kit came with a 7/8ths master ....... ... . the stock 510 push rod should fit any master cylinder

I just bought an 80' 200sx 7/8" master that fits in the stock 510 location.  The rod that goes into the master will need to be modified but I'm pretty confident this master will work.  It was designed for discs all around.

Good suggestion. I'll be on the lookout for those BMC's on Monday, but Im scared that if I couldn't find a 280zx BMC, then I wont have luck finding those either.

If you know where to get a 79-80' zx reman please tell us where.   In 2004 they may have been available but they are not now. 

Same thing I was wondering.

This is what I have discovered.

1987 VW Jetta BMC: 13/16 bore. 3 inches shorter than the stock BMC. Installation instructions.

http://www.datsun510.com/bbmail/2010-2/2751.html

1981-2 Mazda 626 BMC: 7/8 bore. Has the 12/6 o'clock mounting pattern. Lines have to be modified a little.

1970-78 Datsun Z BMC: 7/8 bore. Has the 12/6 o'clock mounting pattern. Direct bolt on.

1979-81 Datsun 280ZX BMC: 15/16 bore. Has the 12/6 o'clock mounting pattern. Direct bolt on. NLA

Z31 300ZX BMC: 1 1/16 bore. Different mounting points. The ones I have seen have a 3/9 o'clock mounting pattern. Got this info from Byron.

http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3512

1982-83 200SX BMC: 7/8 bore. Has the 12/6 o'clock mounting pattern. Direct bolt on.

Before I purchased the 80' 200sx BMC I tried to get my 80' 280zx BMC rebuilt. I was not able to find a rebuild kit. I also tried to send it to A1-Cardone for a repair and return service but no luck.

here is some info from the truck side of things

73 620 3/4 (12/16)

79 620 13/16

80 720 7/8 (14/16)

d21    15/16

z32 1 1/16

just swapped my front drums to isuzu rodeo rotors/z32 calipers (beebani's kit). rears are still drum.

still running 3/4 and it does its job. will probably move up to 13/16 or 7/8 to get a firmer pedal feel though. 

Remember the 280ZX had disc on all wheels. If you use a Nissan master from another model with rear drums the residual pressure valves on the bottom of the master for the rear will need to be swapped out with a valve for disc brakes.  

23167.jpg

Drums use a 10psi residual pressure valves (it holds pressure in the line to keep the shoes from retracting fully creating a low pedal). Disc brakes use only a 2psi valve, if any. The front valve on a used master can be swapped into a rear circuit if the master is the same design/manufacturer.

Datsun masters have the same bolt pattern as Wilwood & Tilton single mastercylinders. Wilwood now makes a 1" duplex master P/N 260-8794. These have no residual pressure valves, but they can be run without them on all disc brake cars.

260-8794-lg.jpg

The D-21 has a diagonal bolt pattern I believe.

This is what I have discovered.

1982-83 200SX BMC: 7/8 bore. Has the 12/6 o'clock mounting pattern. Direct bolt on.

After 07 '81, that's the '82 model year, the mounting bolts are horizontal. The reservoir is a single container.

"What brake master cylinders are people using on rear disc brake 510's?"

Good question.

This is mine...

DatsunBrakesMasterandPV4.jpg

And here this is the proportioning valve... I think...

DatsunBrakesMasterandPV2.jpg

btw...

No rear discs on baby blu yet.

They were just ordered.

Gimmie a week or two (maybe more).