Noob needs input

Hello all, total noob here.

A co-worker of mine has a friend who has a 1970 Datsun pickup sitting in his yard. It's been there for 20+ years and he's finally decided to get rid of it. It's in rough shape, but I think it can be saved. He's planning on giving this truck away for free!

I haven't seen the truck in person yet. Gonna go see it after work today. I have some pics here and was hoping you all can give me some input as to what I'm in for.

Glass appears to be intact; rubber looks decent considering it's age. Supposedly it has a Datsun 1.6L motor out of a 1975 just sitting on the mounts that has never been started. The looks to be a couple cancer spots, one on the roof and one on the back of the cab.

There is no bed. This was used as a work truck back in the day and was converted to a flat bed.

Anyways, the pics I have are located here: http://good-times.webshots.com/album/564690209ZenmGz

Please take a look and give me some input

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ya. I'd say its in bad shape... but not smashed. :) You can drive it eventually.

I would expect that L16 engine can be saved but you'll need a new (or used) carb. Possibly a Weber 32/36.

In 1975 the Datsun truck had a 2.0L L-series. (L20b) so it may be L16 or L20b. You can check that out later.

what are you plans for it? How nice do you want it to be or is it just a junker to drive around?

ya. I'd say its in bad shape... but not smashed. :) You can drive it eventually.

I would expect that L16 engine can be saved but you'll need a new (or used) carb. Possibly a Weber 32/36.

In 1975 the Datsun truck had a 2.0L L-series. (L20b) so it may be L16 or L20b. You can check that out later.

what are you plans for it? How nice do you want it to be or is it just a junker to drive around?

First I want to get it drivable. From there, I'll consider an engine swap and air suspension down the road.

Based on the VIN plate, it's a L16 unless the motor's been swapped.

Sorry, but I'm with Hainz, i.e. pass it by. ...BT-still-DT. The only reason to grab it would be a learning experience and plan on doing as little as possible to get it legal and running....and no more!

Then you'll be ready when the right truck comes along...... :cool:

On second thought, just pass it by. Look what Madizm620 is getting for free:

http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=5593

You don't have the location filled out in your Profile (grrrrrrrr! :mad:), so we don't know if you're in Datsun Paradise or Hell.

Well, I didn't get a chance to look at it after work today. Had some Shakey's Pizza at lunch and it was doing some shakey things afterwards.

Gonna go at lunch tomorrow and get a better idea what I'm up against. Luckily it's close enough to work. My biggest problem is figuring out how to get it home. This truck is about 60 miles from my house.

As for location, I'm in SoCal. This truck is located in Vista...I live in Irvine.

Well, I just got back from taking a look at the truck. The interior is really far gone, more than I want for a project right now. This was gonna be a budget build, and this truck wasn't going to comply.

There are good parts on this truck. Despite surface rust and one spot on top of cab that has started rusting through, there are no dents. The frame is in good shape. There are a ton of parts inside the cab, both new and used that haven't been installed. The motor is a 1600 and was told that is was dropped in place, never mounted and never started.

Not sure what the owner's going to do with it. He was only interested in giving it away to my co-worker and me. I'm guessing he's gonna part it out eventually instead now.

The search continues...

I went to Irvine once or twice

JCCS 08 is in irvine this year :D

Me? I woke up in the brand new Inglewood City Jail after a ZZ Top concert. :lol:

wOw! thats along time ago... :lol:

i have a hard time passing up anything free :drool:

Me? I woke up in the brand new Inglewood City Jail after a ZZ Top concert. :lol:

wOw! thats along time ago... :lol:

Yep....1976, I think. :eek:

**** WARNING!!!! **** OLD FART FLASHBACK!!!!

I had my '72 El Camino (Craig floor-mounted AM/FM/cassette) w/ L60's in the back....Chevy silver with huge black rally stripes. 3 of us crammed in the cab, 4 or 5 in the bed. Drinking beer, chasing it with Annie Green Springs and chain smoking doobies. Had Tres Hombres and Rio Grande Mud playing continuously. Get to the concert (this was at the LA Forum)....opening group was some unknown....AeroSmith. When ZZ Top came on, a buddy and I went up in back...chugging Tequila and slinging chem lights...last thing I remember before waking up with my face pressed to the cold, concrete floor was walking out and leaning up against one of the forums. Haven't touched Tequila since.

Ahhhhhh.....to be young and immortal again. :lol:

yeah it looks like alot of work to make it run. only needs lots of time invested. it would only be a money pit if you restored it, big difference.

also having a title makes a big difference also and being able to rent your own tow dolly.

hell if it has a title the scrap/parts value of free would be worth it but only if you have the time. some of us could put that thing back on the road in a week and thats with only buying brake parts and a carb.

i got a $200 offer today for my 78 volare and thats just to scrap it.

if the windshield is uncracked that alone is worth a bill or 2. if you plan on picking up another 521 in the future then you'd want to pick this one up for parts. you could part it out and and keep some parts and still get $50-100 from the scrapper with no engine in it.

the possibilities are endless.

• 4 months later...