521 front brake question..weird sound.

jammin

Hello.  just wanted to ask anyone out there this before I start tearing apart my front brakes....

When coming to a stop / applying pressure to brake pedal, there is a fairly loud ticking sound coming from left front brake.  It sounds like a dull metal on metal sound and the truck "lopes" if you will.  Weird thing is that as you keep applying more pressure, the sound disappears as the pedal goes lower.

You get about three or four "tick" "tick" "tick's" as you gently apply pressure.  If you stomp on it...no sounds, trucks stops, but really not practical for driving.  I took the tire off and turned the drum and I cannot replicate the ticking sound, however..it rotates for about 3/4 way around then drags..like the drum is out of round. 

The gal that I bought the truck from has all receipts and it was given new shoes not less than 500 miles ago with new springs / cylinders..pretty much a complete overhaul. 

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,  Ben

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Take the wheel and the brake drum off, and look at it.

I have seen lining come off the shoes in chunks, and pieces of it go between the shoes and the drum.

You need to adjust the drum brakes on a 521 a lot.  they are not self adjusting, and as the new shoes wear into the drum on a new brake jub wear is even faster than normal.

maybe a side hold spring fell off.

while your at it get new shoes. turn the thumwheel on the bottome to loosen it fully place drum on and then pull off adjust most of the slop out using the the thumwheel to tighen it up much as possible. then place drum back on. then later youll have to adjust from the other side.

if you think the drum is warp best get it turned or Rockauto might have new ones. but i think the brearings are in the drums if I remeber right. Maybe they still can turn it with bearing in there.

ck the Kingpins also and grease them