Finally mine: 4dr 510

^ You can see the pieces I'm cutting here. It's the piece the e-brake is resting upon on both sides. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about... I just don't know what you're talking about :P I'm detailing everything I'm doing so hopefully that answers your question!

Thank you very much!

They look like this:

DSC_0918_zps0e3714d8.jpg

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay I totally understand now. My rails are very different from those, the mounting points are at the same level when viewed horizontally. I'll be able to use them when mounting to the floor as well as when mounted to that cross support. Good luck on your search!

Okay I totally understand now. My rails are very different from those, the mounting points are at the same level when viewed horizontally. I'll be able to use them when mounting to the floor as well as when mounted to that cross support. Good luck on your search!

Thank man!

• Like 1

I would continue the engineering ,, and work on cars as a hobby / for fun ,, you will be much happier in the end.

I agree I am a 30+ year wrench 8 year shop owner 2 years core engineering classes , should have stayed in school! Great build thread and color choice!

What did you get your seat belts out of ?

Bah! but the draw towards it is so great! I set up a meeting with the Division Dean of Advanced Technology on thursday to talk with him more about the program and what life would be like afterwards. I still gotta compile a list of questions I want to ask him though. Hopefully I can still sign up for the co-op class over summer where they basically give you an internship, and in return you get anywhere from 3-12 credits towards your program. I'm willingly to do it for free right now, so why not take some credits with it! ;)

Thank you on the color choice, I knew I was gonna have to go with a matte finish to hide the bodywork and I knew I was going to have to keep it orange because it fits so well.

Matt:

In relation to your dash repair question I've used this (Aussie) product on a number of occasions wth good success.

http://www.poly.com.au/content_124.htm

This is a dash pad I repaired late last year.

89e2f560.jpg

038d24ef.jpg

6a307595.jpg

The crack in the center of the pad was fairly deep. The expanding foam works great and also gives a slightly spongy feel similar to the original dash pad. For deep holes you can also use body filler (you call it bondo) and then expanding foam on top.

Sorry to clog your thread up with my shitty photos, just thought it would be easier to explain it here than link to my build thread.

In relation to your dash repair question I've used this (Aussie) product on a number of occasions wth good success.

Thank you for the link! I've been doing a little bit of searching for different products, but that is closest to what I need by far. The product I used bubbled outwards when expanding, but then when I sanded through the bubbles they were all hollow! I may have understated how big of a hole/gap actually exists in my pad though, it's pretty dang big.  

Please ignore the ridiculous Bondo job, I did it a year ago before I knew how to properly use it.

IMG_2467_zps01e9ab4e.jpg

IMG_2468_zps55fc5e56.jpg

IMG_2469_zps8c5adcce.jpg

^ Very brittle feeling stuff. When pressed on, it tends to get crushed down rather than absorb the pressure. It's also got tons of holes! I don't think that I did anything wrong while applying that could've warranted such porous results...

IMG_2470_zps32b2773b.jpg

Do you think that product would work on such a huge gap? I see you mentioned using bondo on deeper holes, but what I have isn't even a hole, it's just a huge missing chunk! I'm brainstorming what kind of reinforcement I could use on the inside of whatever I use to repair it... chicken wire maybe? If I used some kind of expanding foam on it I feel like I'd need to put something inside of it for extra support.

I've heard of a product called Kitty Hair that may work. I'm not sure if it can be applied to the thickness I need it though. The statement "Evercoat Kitty Hair body filler is known for it's bridging capabilities" shows up in it's product description everywhere I see it being sold, which leads me to believe it would work well with what I have. I just wanna make sure I get the best product first, because a lot of these materials are sold in massive quantities.

Lemme know what you think!

Wow!

That's a pretty fucked up dash pad, however, nothing when it comes to Datsuns is irreprepairable!

Sorry, I didn't add the bit I needed to.

As you rightly note, The gap filler will leave lots of holes.

What I did to eliminate this was to work the gap filler into the holes with my hands (wearing latex gloves keeps the shit off your hands).

It's a boring and time consuming process, but will hopefully eliminate a lot of the large bubbles.

Kitty hair (which I assume in America speak might be Fibreglass matting) is a great help.

Looking at what you have with your dash pad, what I would do is to use fibreglass matting and resin (of course) to make a base for the bottom of the dash pad (hope this makes sense).

Once you've made the base (bottom part of the pad obviously) you can then rebuild/resculpt the dash pad from there.

Given the degradation in the dash pad, you might want to consider a layer of bondo first, followed by the expanding foam on the top.

Whatever way you go, kudos to you for giving the resto part a go!

Looking at what you have with your dash pad, what I would do is to use fibreglass matting and resin (of course) to make a base for the bottom of the dash pad (hope this makes sense).

Once you've made the base (bottom part of the pad obviously) you can then rebuild/resculpt the dash pad from there.

Given the degradation in the dash pad, you might want to consider a layer of bondo first, followed by the expanding foam on the top.

Whatever way you go, kudos to you for giving the resto part a go!

I get what you're saying, and will most likely do that! Thank you.

While at my uncle's this past weekend I replaced my droning differential with a unit I picked up out of a junkyard (from a 90's subaru) and put in some new seats. They are not the black leather ones I bought, but actually a new set of seats that my uncle gave me. They are much smaller and fit me much better than the leather ones. I now realize the leather seats must have been made for a much larger person! Don't have pics of the seat yet, but here's some of the new diff.

The car feels quicker off the line, so I'm attributing it to either the placebo effect of the fact that I may have gone up in gear ratio. The diff I bought was a 3.9, and the diff in the car was either a 3.7 or 3.9

It was quite a breeze replacing it, the only difficult part was changing the couplings from the old diff to the new one to accept the halfshafts. Good thing I have an uncle with a welder! (Thanks Tony!) Had to drop the crossmember a little bit as well.

IMG_2461_zps22b2c227.jpg

^Old diff

IMG_2484_zpsb74995eb.jpg

^One halfshaft down, one and a driveshaft to go!

IMG_2488_zpsc16d1b7b.jpg

^Pulling the moustache bar down, pic to remember the order everything goes back on

IMG_2487_zps5621296d.jpg

^4 long bolts through small end of diff holding it in the crossmember

IMG_2490_zps12dd94dc.jpg

IMG_2489_zps04f9e384.jpg

^Out with the old.

IMG_2492_zps4d9f53a3.jpg

^In with the new!

IMG_2493_zps70c96cf5.jpg

Next step is continuing with the dashboard and getting some more painted!

LSD?

Unfortunately, no. The guy said he only had open diffs and I got a fairly low price for one! I'll upgrade it closer to when I put a new engine in.

Looking gooooood. you should come by sometime Matt!

Hell yeah! My number's (541) 337-350, just text me whenever or if ya need help with somethin!

• 5 months later...

Hey all, been a while since I've been on here. I got accepted into LCC's automotive program! Even if I don't make any cash, I love the friends I'm making, the work I'm doing, and the high job prospects and job security when I graduate. I haven't wanted to skip a day yet :P haha

Which brings me to the main point of this post, I'm looking for an L20b head. We're rebuilding cylinder heads in class, and my teacher said he'd let me bring one in. He's a datto fan. I then plan on resurfacing it, check it for warpage, do a valve job and maybe port and polish.

I'm looking for one ASAP, if you have one lemme know! Will post pics later of the work I'm doing