Finally mine: 4dr 510

Hi everyone, my name is Matt MacDonald and I'm 18 years old. The story starts however, when I was 13 or 14 and visiting my grandparents in Portland.

I'd always known my uncle had a fast car, but I wasn't really into cars when I was super young, so I had no idea what it was. I remember walking into my grandparents garage and seeing a pile of junk sitting on cinderblocks, doors and wheels off, susepnsion components hanging down. It was orange, underneath all the dust, and had such a unique shape for a car. I immediately fell in love with it. My grandpa then said that the plan was to have it reliable and ready for me to drive when I got my license. I remember calling my Dad and telling him all about it, I was so excited! Unfortunately I had to wait a couple of years before I could drive it, so I had to be satisfied with drooling over it.

When I turned 16, I went to the Dmv to get my license. Literally the day I turned 16! I failed it though, and waited a couple months before attempting again. Once I finally had it, the long anticipated road trip up to Portland to retrieve the car happened. The car had the original l16 in it, and it was rather unreliable as my uncle and grandpa were trying to kill it by starving it of oil for 15 years (amazing it lasted so long... And my friends tell me Datsuns are unreliable, what the fuck do they know!). They gave me a 1980 Toyota Tercel hatchback to last me until a more reliable engine could be put in. It was the slowest, least agile car on the entire planet. Here's a pic of it after I dumped it in a mud puddle (didn't even think about how deep the puddle could be as it was to the side of the pavement... rather than on it.)

421193_400556556625317_358768684_n_zps40

It was a fun litle car... But not a Datsun.

About 6-8 months after having the Tercel, my grandpa called and let me know that the Datsun would be ready by spring break. I went up to my uncle's house to help with what I could over spring break, and by the last day, it seemed to be all ship shape. We then discovered the turn signals weren't working, and so the race began. If the signals didn't work, I would have to drive the Toyota back... My uncle and grandpa slaved their butt's away trying to figure it out, but it looked grim. In the end, I believe it was a bad connection on the back of the fuse box, but we got it working! I drove it home, happier than I'd ever been in my entire life (The sun shined the whole way home for me). Here it is.

IMG_1714_zpsd4677478.jpg

Mine is one the left, and my uncle's is on the right. Now this story has a litle bit more to it than I've mentioned so far... The sedan was my uncle's second 510 (first one didn't last long), and I believe his second car overall as well. That was 20-some years ago and it's been in the family ever since. I'm not sure what drove him to modify the wagon over the sedan, I can't remember, but he picked up the wagon at some point after picking up the sedan. I'm sure many of you know him, his name is Anthony, and he has a 2JZ engine in his wagon along with the biggest wheels I've ever seen on a 510.

So more about my car. It has 280zx struts and brakes, big ass sway bars (really beefy, I'll get a pic sometime soon), wide wheels (7.5" in the front and 8.5" in the back), an L20b, big stereo system (My first big purchase... I was in high school, what can I say!), 5 speed, and many other minor mods. The reason I'm making a thread now is so I have some support and more motivation to work on it. It's not that I don't have any motivation to be out in the garage, it's just that I want to work on it more. Kinda hoping this thread will just be another aspect to working on my car, and I believe it will help me finish projects so I can give you guys pics!

What I've done so far: I've put in a stereo system (I'll share what I have if anybody is curious), sound deadened the floor minorly, carpeted the floor, replaced fuel pump, alternator, battery, rattle-canned the wheels flat black, and also flipped up the hood while driving (majorly messed it up... if anyone's got a 510 hood in okay condition in the Eugene/Springfield area, lemme know).

In process of doing now: Right now I'm painting the entire car a mate halloween orange, with the exception of the hood which I'm leaving flat black for a while. I've got the dash taken apart and I'm working on filling in the cracks and holes in it so I can wrap it in black leather. I've also got a rather loud droning coming from my differential which needs attention. I filled it up with gear oil, but the noise is only getting louder. I need to head down to the junkyard and see if I can find myself a better one, preferably an LSD.

Plans for the future: I plan on swapping in a KA somewhere down the line, driving it for a while, then turboing the KA. The reason I'm going with a KA is it seems to be a much cheaper option compared to similar engines (SR, CA, etc), and will keep my car on the lighter side of things. My goal is to have a street-driveable autocross monster, much like my uncle's, along with being a semi-comfortable daily driver.

More random pics:

IMG_2202_zps786b967d.jpg

I've made friends with a couple of the guys in the area who are also on here, namely Henyhustler, ftlallday, Oregonhomeboy541, Dalesun, and others. You'll find their vehicles interspersed within these pics.

IMG_1761_zps2b7c6851.jpg

Frog Tape ftw.

IMG_1762_zps21f40d1c.jpg

IMG_1913_zps89faeb1a.jpg

In process of painting.

IMG_1922_zpsf6917534.jpg

IMG_2238_zps453a2583.jpg

If anybody is bugged by the massive pictures, lemme know and I can find a way to scale em down or something. I figure y'all might like em because they're huge, but they might be a little too huge. Especially that last one... lol

• Like 2
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome from downunder champ.

Great intro post and well written (noobs take note).

Looks like you've got a great car to start with.

I know this thread is about your ride, but, any chance you can get your uncle to post some more pics of his Goon?

The flares on it look awesome.

Thank you all for the positive responses! Abe, Small world! I definitely got really lucky with getting this car. I already have my dream car, and I'm only 18, how often does that happen!?

Dirttrack510, I've seen some of your videos and I love seeing your goon fly around that track! I always saw that crash... I couldn't even imagine what was going through your head after you hit the wall. I'm glad you got it fixed though, and I think it's awesome you dressed it up in BRE colors! Keep on.

Here's some more pics!

IMG_2088_zps9e7743bb.jpg

^ Engine bay before minor cleaning and new battery w/ tiedown

IMG_1681_zpsd299b366.jpg

IMG_1198_zps543f4708.jpg

^ Sound deadening and carpet prep

IMG_1199_zps039876b8.jpg

^ More prep... A piece of my uncle's car is in this photo, can you tell what it is?

IMG_1201_zpsb9c90ef1.jpg

^ Deadening put in. If I did this again, I would go with a self adhesive, thinner sound deadening for the first layer, then use this foam-like pad. It seemed to lessen road noise, but it's hard to tell without taking the doors out of the equation as they let in the most noise

IMG_1202_zps7b8b4b36.jpg

IMG_1203_zps736cdb5f.jpg

IMG_2237_zps4d781baa.jpg

921222_636855226328781_1346437766_o.jpg

^ Just because I'm always curious about what people look like when I see them post, here's me before my first autocross this past April!

I have school mon-thurs, so most of my updates will most likely be on the weekend. Next time I feel like getting dirty I'll post an in depth "review" of the car and just get pictures of everything up here. 

One more thing- This past year at Lane Community College I've been taking general education requirements because I thought I was going to do engineering at OSU. I was changing my alternator when I came to the realization: I could do this every day. So I'm going to go into an automotive program at Lane this coming up fall! Anyway, I want to have some experience and on-the-job know-how before I go into the program, partly to have a step above my peers and partly to learn more about fixing up cars sooner! If anyone in the Eugene/Springfield area knows of a mechanic that would let me intern at their shop (unpaid, of course), that would be fantastic. I'd be okay cleaning up the shop and putting tools away or whatever, because just being there will allow me to learn a lot. I'm looking for a summer deal, mid June through September most likely, and I can do any days of the week if not all of them. Lemme know if you can help me out!

One more thing- This past year at Lane Community College I've been taking general education requirements because I thought I was going to do engineering at OSU. I was changing my alternator when I came to the realization: I could do this every day. So I'm going to go into an automotive program at Lane this coming up fall! Anyway, I want to have some experience and on-the-job know-how before I go into the program, partly to have a step above my peers and partly to learn more about fixing up cars sooner! If anyone in the Eugene/Springfield area knows of a mechanic that would let me intern at their shop (unpaid, of course), that would be fantastic. I'd be okay cleaning up the shop and putting tools away or whatever, because just being there will allow me to learn a lot. I'm looking for a summer deal, mid June through September most likely, and I can do any days of the week if not all of them. Lemme know if you can help me out!

I went through the LCC auto program and graduated.. it's good program. I got out in the field and started working and jumped ship after 3 months because I was literally going broke as hell. You have to buy all these tools to work faster, yet you have no money to buy tools. It's a rough gig to get into. Just think about it before you make the decision. I personally would do the engineering program.. but I love what I learned from the auto program.

For me, I kept wrenching as my hobby and now I'm a systems administrator for the car dealer I got hired to wrench at. Strange world..

Although, I'm putting in my notice this week and quitting this bitch.. woo!

What did you get your seat belts out of ?

I have no idea, got em with the car. They look like a universal kind, if such a thing exists. They're just a simple all black strap with black housing's that are mounted at the top and bottom of my B pillar.

Yeah, there seems to be 2 schools of thought on my plan. A lot of people have told me to not mix work and hobbies, but there seems to be so many pros about it! I would get to work with my hands (don't know if I want a "desk job" yet), learn almost everything I need to know immediately, do something I love, and be able to work anywhere in the world easily. There's also many cons to being a mechanic, the first of which obviously being the salary... It's a tough decision! I can always reevaluate what I want to do down the line as well. I could always go back to school later for engineering (obviously it'd be monumentally tougher, but I'm sure I could handle it). It's just a tough decision. I can see myself loving being a mechanic, and not just for the knowledge I gain, but also for the job itself.

I went through the LCC auto program and graduated.. it's good program. I got out in the field and started working and jumped ship after 3 months because I was literally going broke as hell. You have to buy all these tools to work faster, yet you have no money to buy tools. It's a rough gig to get into. Just think about it before you make the decision. I personally would do the engineering program.. but I love what I learned from the auto program.

For me, I kept wrenching as my hobby and now I'm a systems administrator for the car dealer I got hired to wrench at. Strange world..

Although, I'm putting in my notice this week and quitting this bitch.. woo!

I've heard so many good things about their auto program! I procrastinate doing my homework with Ratsun and other miscellaneous datsun/car-related research. But there are classes on those subjects!?!? How could I not be taking those! There's no way I'd drop out of or flunk the program, it'd be a sure thing if I did it.

I think I need to be an intern for a little bit at a mechanic shop before I decide for certain just to see what it's like, talk with all the guys there, and ask a ton of questions.

And congrats on the quitting! What's next?

Edited by mattomatic15

I have no idea, got em with the car. They look like a universal kind, if such a thing exists. They're just a simple all black strap with black housing's that are mounted at the top and bottom of my B pillar.

Yeah, there seems to be 2 schools of thought on my plan. A lot of people have told me to not mix work and hobbies, but there seems to be so many pros about it! I would get to work with my hands (don't know if I want a "desk job" yet), learn almost everything I need to know immediately, do something I love, and be able to work anywhere in the world easily. There's also many cons to being a mechanic, the first of which obviously being the salary... It's a tough decision! I can always reevaluate what I want to do down the line as well. I could always go back to school later for engineering (obviously it'd be monumentally tougher, but I'm sure I could handle it). It's just a tough decision. I can see myself loving being a mechanic, and not just for the knowledge I gain, but also for the job itself.

I've heard so many good things about their auto program! I procrastinate doing my homework with Ratsun and other miscellaneous datsun/car-related research. But there are classes on those subjects!?!? How could I not be taking those! There's no way I'd drop out of or flunk the program, it'd be a sure thing if I did it.

I think I need to be an intern for a little bit at a mechanic shop before I decide for certain just to see what it's like, talk with all the guys there, and ask a ton of questions.

And congrats on the quitting! What's next?

Yeah the best thing is to intern and get a feel for it. I'd intern maybe at Toyota or Nissan. I know we aren't very busy so that might be a bad experience. The work is pretty seasonal also.. Winters are slow, summers are busy.

Next up, UO IT Services.  :geek:

Yeah the best thing is to intern and get a feel for it. I'd intern maybe at Toyota or Nissan. I know we aren't very busy so that might be a bad experience. The work is pretty seasonal also.. Winters are slow, summers are busy.

Next up, UO IT Services.  :geek:

I am looking for a summer deal! Maybe they'll be more inclined to take on an intern if they know busy season is coming up. We'll see! 

Congrats on the new gig! I hope it brings you more joy than the last, haha.

More pictures of my car!

IMG_2455_zps7d167065.jpg

^ Cleaned up my valve cover and engine bay a little bit with purple power, more cleaning required... 

IMG_2456_zps843c592a.jpg

^ Caster plates

IMG_2458_zps2a3e5335.jpg

^ Rear sway bar. Realized how much more useful a ruler would have been once I was under the car... So you guys get my thumb as reference. It's ≈ 1" in diameter

IMG_2462_zps2e1261ce.jpg

^ Rear taillight panel has the most damage, it's been repaired with kitty hair and bondo. Trunk has small rust holes inside at the bottom edge perimeter. There's not much rust on the car besides that though. Hood has rust on the underside, but it's getting replaced ASAP anyway. 

IMG_2359_zpsed38e1a6.jpg

IMG_2361_zps03c9a6ca.jpg

^ Downsized from a 3 bedroom apartment with a single car garage to one bedroom and a covered parking space... I miss the garage the most. It's tough getting motivation to work on your car without any kind of workbench, easy access tool storage, weather protection (not really an issue now I guess...), power outlets, and other miscellaneous conveniences. Oh well, when I get back into school in the fall we'll be moving out again. This time maybe we can find a garage/loft type place, I'm crossing my fingers for more garage!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/674663/1971-datsun-510/  - Link to my uncle's car domain site if anyone wants to drool a little... I love the interior, definitely going after something similar with the black leather, console, and gauge setup.

I picked up a regular old expanding foam at Jerry's to see if it would fill the holes in my dash, which are not small holes either, there are 2 large rectangular chunks taken out of my dash, but to no avail. When it dried, the material was much too porous and fragile to hold leather in place. I was browsing through a BMW forum and somebody recommended 4lb density urethane foam. In it's smallest container, it would still be 40-ish bucks to get it to my front door. Do any of you have an idea on what else I could use? I doubt shaping a piece of wood to fill the gap would work... The edges are irregular and would need some kind of foam to fully fit in

3xrJTov.jpg

I wonder sometimes about what people look like to but not a whole lot.  

Enough to dig up the only shot of myself plus my car I have.  I am 19, young like you.

Dont worry to much about what other car guys look like LOL.  Its ratsun not E-harmony.  If you go to Canby or other meets you will be able to put a face to a car, or a face to a username

btw I have seen your uncles car all over the internet.

Dont worry to much about what other car guys look like LOL.  Its ratsun not E-harmony.  If you go to Canby or other meets you will be able to put a face to a car, or a face to a username

btw I have seen your uncles car all over the internet.

Haha wasn't worying, merely curious! Thanks for sharing your pic! When I first got the car I figured the Datsun community would mostly consist of older folk, but I'm now convinced the majority are 18-30 years old! Yeah, it's everywhere

Those caster plates are wild! Welcome.

Thank you! I believe that's something my uncle fabbed up, could be wrong though

Look to be both camber and caster huh?

You're right, I didn't know if saying camber/caster plate would make me sound uninformed, haha :P So I just went with caster!

Heading up to Tony's this weekend to put in some work on the car, we'll see how many projects I can wrap up. Hoping to get my new bucket seats mounted lower, which involves cutting the structural frame piece the stock seat bolts into and just mounting them straight to the floor. Maybe I'll paint a couple more panels as well. we'll see!

Are you going to be using the rails that mount to the floor and metal support cross support? I need all 4.

Metal support cross support... is that the piece I'm cutting out to mount lower or is that on the seat rails? I'm going to transfer the rails from my old seats onto the new ones, but rather than have metal brackets in the back holding it up it will be bolted to the floor, and in the front, rather than be held up by the metal bracket in the pic below it will be bolted onto the floor.

IMG_1201_zpsb9c90ef1.jpg

^ You can see the pieces I'm cutting here. It's the piece the e-brake is resting upon on both sides. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about... I just don't know what you're talking about :P I'm detailing everything I'm doing so hopefully that answers your question!

Looking good man keep up the good work!

Thank you very much!