yellow high beam tint

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I used the krylon amber glass spray paint, this is what I started with.

DSCN1447_zpsdd931f5c.jpg

This is what it looks like finished, with camera flash.

DSCN1448_zpsfd982ec8.jpg

Without flash.

DSCN1451_zps046b1478.jpg

Still have lots of paint left, this is the second set, it is several coats at 4 different angles.\

I will install the lights this weekend I think, and get some more oics.  :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry to hijack this thread but I've found that Tamiya TS-73 Clear Orange model paint works so freakin good its unreal. Try it. 1 coat and done. Even comes in rattle can. $7.00 at Fantasy World in Tacoma, WA.

I have some left if anyone wants..... free!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wayno that looks damn good, however the little things over your lights really make them!

Where'd you get those?

I'm thinking about getting the 4412s.

They are "tri-bar" headlights, I bought mine on Ebay, here is a link to a couple.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-3-4-CLEAR-BLUE-DOT-TRI-BAR-HEADLIGHTS-H4-BRIGHT-FITS-CHEVY-IMPALA-CHEVELLE-/140898915048?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20ce3ad2e8&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-3-4-BLACK-DOT-TRI-BAR-HOT-ROD-HEADLIGHTS-PAIR-/380609521180?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item589e18661c&vxp=mtr

Search "5 3/4 tri-bar headlights", I painted my brights amber myself.

those really are bad ass! do they perform any differently? 

I don't drive a lot at night anymore, but I can see just fine with these lights, and people are not flashing there brights at me, so I guess they work without offending anybody else, they were bought for another vehicle, but that vehicles headlight rings would not go over these headlights, so they ended up on the 521KC.

They were bought for looks, not performance, they make it look unique.

Never could understand why you would lessen the lumen output of your high beams by tinting them. I mean the point of the high beams is to light up the road ahead of you not lessen the light distance output right? Here in NH that's illegal to do, besides you really do want to light up the roads out here.

Lou "Have Brites will travel"

• 3 weeks later...

I'll stay out of the "reducing lumens debate" (as that brings up a whole lot of issues I have with people and headlights), but I've used Duplicolour Metalcast spraypaint with good results. About $10 a can up here, and I've used red and smoke. Both turned out quite well... I smoked the lights on my Subaru (tail, fender, and corner), and they held up to a fair bit of abuse. I did a few coats of the smoke, followed by a few coats of clearcoat. In the two years the lights were on the car, I had no issues with fading, chipping, flaking, etc. They also hold up to soap and water, but will come off with 99% isopropanol. The lights are dark enough to cover some damage on the inside, but you can still identify the red, amber, and clear sections in full sun, and I've never had issues with the police. Stay away from VHT Niteshades though, unless you want the lights completely black.

Having said all that: Apparently the Duplicolour Metalcast yellow/amber is supposed to be a good match for the classic yellow Euro headlights. I haven't used it personally, but given my experiences with the other colours, I wouldn't hesitate to try it.

• 1 year later...