Throwback Lil'Hustler

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I ran into a problem when I took it for a ride around town.  After driving a little I started to hear a noise coming from the back of the truck.  Thought it was the breaks so I went home.  Jacked up the rear end, looked at the brakes.  Nothing!  Put the wheel back on and started to spin it.  Nothing.  Then I gave it a shake... YUP.  Axle had about a 3/4in play in it and was just grinding the shit out of it.  Drained the diff oil thinking I was going to see metal but was clean as could be.  I put about an inch's worth of shims in and it would still have play in it (seemed to be the same amount).  So I gave up and started to swap back to my '73 axle but time ran out and had to go to school.

Engine wise, it seems to be running great!  I also installed my E30 headlights just need to wire them in.  Video will be taken and posted soon.

I did actually.  The later one seems to be almost 3/4 in longer (shaft wise).  I just put the old housing and shafts back in and still having the same problem.  I even put all the '79 stuff back together and the same thing....

I read the book and all it says to do is shim it but they dont seem to be doing ANYTHING.  I don't have to hammer the shafts into the diff do I?  This has me totally stumped...

• 2 weeks later...

Got the linkage welded, mocked and ready to be installed.  Everything looks like it is going to work great.  Only thing that worries me a little is where I have the throttle cable looped threw.  I think I will just get some insulated heat shield tubing and cover it so it wont melt.  

IMG_0977.jpg

IMG_0978.jpg

IMG_0979.jpg

IMG_0982.jpg

IMG_0980.jpg

and no, i had to jimmy rig a throttle cable to make it home one day and when i got home i saw it had been resting on the exhaust mani for the last 5 miles......

still didnt melt enough to worry me

cus i still drove to safeway for some beers after i saw it  :rofl:  :rofl:

• Like 2

Before work this morning I was able to get the SUs hooked up.  Manually set the choke, turned the key are they started right up.  After they got warm put the choke down and they idle at 1k with no adjustments.  They were running pretty smooth so decided to take it for a ride around the block....

HOLY SHIT!!!! 

These carbs are amazing.  They pull so hard. Can't wait till I adjust them to see what they have in store