Throwback Lil'Hustler

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After Datsloco I got into the wiring under my dash.  Only one bad connection was made.  Should be an easy fix.  Other than that the original harness is untouched!   :thumbup:   Fixed the little damage I managed to do to the bezel with some super glue.  Want to do something different color wise with it but just don't know what. I like the carbon fiber look and also would like door panels to match but that will have to wait as money is running tight now.  There was no connections for my tachometer in the harness so looks like I will be soldering it in.  

Followed my live wire to here...(was for the CB radio that used to be in here)

IMG_0900.jpg

To find out it was hooked up like this...

IMG_0901.jpg

Gotta love POs.

Finished getting the bezel out.  Was a pain with the radio where it was.  Going to fill that spot with some gauges instead.

IMG_0903.jpg

IMG_0902.jpg

Super glue to the rescue!

IMG_0904.jpg

Brakes are bled!  Took some time but pretty sure I got all the air out.  I hope this is okay...I hooked up the brake MC and started at the passenger rear tire.  I pushed the fluid to the MC.  Once it was coming into the reservoir I bled it from the MC.  Repeat on the drivers rear.  Same on the fronts.  Then I did the conventional brake bleed.  Pump the brakes and draw the air out.  Seems to have worked well.

Tachometer is wired in and bezel is back in dash.  Cleaned out all my wiring under the dash.  Tomorrow I will grab some pictures.  Planing on putting the rattletrap mat in and finishing most of the interior and getting the clutch on the flywheel and transmission mated.  Maybe drop her in too but we will see.

I measured the stock steering wheel with the 240Z wood one I am putting in and seems like the Z wheel is a little shorter.  What I mean is it is closer to the dash.  I also have some play in the wheel.. about as much as I had in the '73 column.  Is there an easy fix for this?  Steering is tight as everything is new.  Manual says it may just need to be aligned which I know it does.

• Like 2

Picture time!  Didn't get as many as I wanted too. 

First I matted the interior with rattle trap, like dynomat but cheaper.

IMG_0909.jpg

IMG_0905.jpg

SHHHHHHH... don't tell the girl friend I am using her hair dryer..  :lol:

IMG_0908.jpg

Here is what the wheel looks like.

IMG_0906.jpg

Carpet and seat back in

IMG_0910.jpg

:wub:  Love the factory tachometer.

IMG_0911.jpg

Brake MC is in.  Went with the '73 booster.  Makes soo much more room!

IMG_0907.jpg

Going to play a little game here...  Can anyone tell me what is wrong with this picture.

IMG_0913.jpg

They are mated!

IMG_0916.jpg

Okay when installing the engine how does one get the oil pan by the center link????  I had to take it off to get the engine in..  but needless to say she is in.

IMG_0917.jpg

IMG_0918.jpg

IMG_0919.jpg

BTW great work Jeff you're really hitting this hard.... oh wait just realized something ......

you're trying to beat the rain aren't you :)

F*** yeah!  I don't want to be riding my bike in the rain to school and work.  Pretty close to being done.  Just need to add fluids to everything, recheck wiring and hookups.  Start her up.  

Electrical problems.. :angry: 

I can't find this short in the wiring at all.  It is driving me insane.  I can't even hook up my battery without it sparking like a mofo.  Do you just have a ground to the motor or also the frame?  Thats not my problem as the short is in the + fusable link wire that goes to the battery terminal.  I wired in the tachometer grounding the tachometer to the frame.  Could the lights be messed up to where it would ground out and make the whole system short? 

I hate wiring and this is driving me insane!  I just want to start my motor!!!!!!!

any dead short could possibly cause this.

Remove the main fuse at the firewall under your glovebox, this will isolate the power to just the engine bay. l bet you've got power to ground in the engine bay somewhere.

Double check all your chassis grounds

"It is saying my +line to battery is grounded" .... what is saying that.?

"Would the rear lights cause this?"... unhook that circuit at the floor pan under the passengers seat if you think its suspect.

Thanks heretic I'll do that and start the endless search for the short.  It got dark on my yesterday so I couldn't keep my search going.

I am using a volt meter with it on "signal" so it will beep if a circuit is complete.  (believe that is the correct way of doing it as I am not too electrical inclined)

Now that it is back light out the search is going to continue.  I know its going to be something stupid somewhere....just got to find that somewhere!

Figured it out! So stupid simple, took out the fuse box and still was shorting so it was in the bay.

Looked at my manual and followed the color code, love unmolstered harnesses for this reason. Alternator live was missing the plastic sleeve that kept it from grounding. Was in the box still. Woot! Borowing the neighbors timing light and will be firing her up

• Like 1

Ran into some more electrical problems.  Turns out when I first tried to connect my battery it blew the fusible link...which when I got the wiring sorted and turned the ignition to on finished it in a blaze of smoke and a "pop".  Went down to Napa and picked up some 20g fusible wire.  Came in a 10ft package for $8.  Cut the same length as old one, soldered in and BAM!  Everything works now.  Even fixed my high beam flasher on the turn signal.  Old connection fell off so soldered it back on.  WORKS!  

I also ran threw the hole wiring to make sure there was going to be no other surprises.  Looks good.  No I am finally ready to fire this beast up.  Running video is going to be posted soon!

IMG_0923.jpg

IMG_0924.jpg

IMG_0925.jpg

IMG_0926.jpg

• Like 1

you have come a long way!!

Be proud

Thanks!

I am very nervous about the engine start up.  I have not completely built an engine like this.  SO I am doing a lot of second guessing and its driving me insane  :frantics:  I just want to start it and get it done with.

For timing with a stock L20B cam should I put it around 12 BTDC?  Spark plug gab is .041 with a el dizzy.

The book for rebuilding an engine says just crank it over with no spark to build oil pressure.  Is this safe?

ok.......

a few things MUST be done prior to start up

A - OIL PUMP MUST ALREADY HAVE OIL IN IT(THIS MUST BE DONE PRIOR TO INSTALL) - sry to yell but its muy important 

B - ur spark plug gap if fine

C - 10 - 12 BTDC should be fine as well - have it loose and the timing light hooked up for an imidate adjustment

D - valves had to have been already set cold - then reset when hot 

E -" crank it over with no spark to build oil pressure.  Is this safe?" Safe - yes     Needed - ive never done it and ive rebuilt half a dozen L's