Wanting to lower my 65 320

satcat808

How much lower from stock height can I lower my front end by torsion bar adjustment.  I tried to adjust mine but it never raised or lowered,  I can't really figure out how this works.  Is there a top nut I need to hold.  When I look at the torsion end I can easily get to the bottom bolt but now way to get to anything on the top end since it looks like its all enclosed.

Thanks for the help.

• Like 2
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 320 has a shaft that somehow the torsion bar adjustment bolt threads into, it has been so long since I have been under there, that I cannot recall how it seats itself, if you turn both nuts so the torsion bar arm looks the same on both sides, then lower the truck back down on it's wheels and roll the truck 10 feet or so, and let it settle, then decide if you need to go down or up.

Make sure that the bolt going threw the shaft has enough threads going in to it, if not, then you will need to re-index the torsion bars themselves at the lower control arm connection itself.

This is what mine looks like while all 4 wheels are on the ground.

DSCN1381_zps3f716d6e.jpg?t=1367710892

DSCN1380_zps519ab75d.jpg?t=1367710905

This is what my LCA torsion bar connection looks like(dirty isn't it), if you run out of adjustment in the cross member, then your torsion bar will likely need re-indexed at this point, make sure you mark everything before taking it apart so you know how it was when you put it back together.

DSCN1384_zps78c7a705.jpg?t=1367711356

If you can find someone with a set of these that is willing to sell them, it the best way hands down to lower the front of your 320, you get a 2 inch drop without giving up your stock ride.

https://www.google.com/url?q=http://community.ratsun.net/topic/43421-320-zd-lower-control-arm-2-drop-250-shipping/&sa=U&ei=dYWFUb6mNeW8iwKr54CABg&ved=0CAcQFjAA&client=internal-uds-cse&usg=AFQjCNEmYKz-PxQFdzdTqn-QcZYYByyHdg

Thanks Wayne it work!  By dropping both sides I got about 1.5 " drop in the front.  I added 2" drop blocks in the rear and now the stance looks way better!!!!

Thanks again for all the help and information.

Mahalo,

Dean

Thanks Wayne it work!  By dropping both sides I got about 1.5 " drop in the front.  I added 2" drop blocks in the rear and now the stance looks way better!!!!

Thanks again for all the help and information.

Mahalo,

Dean

How about a couple photos of the new stance Dean, that way other 320 owners might decide they like it, and drop theirs a couple inches also.

We like photos a lot on here.  :D

Here are some new pics of the new stance.  Still got to adjust and tighten some things up but over all dropped 2" in the back and about 1.5" in the front.

Thanks again Wayne...

D136561B-33FD-44EA-A2D6-505C649AC31B-854[/url

B64A2B54-1627-448E-969C-CD3FC79FB930-854[/url]

F57DA2F3-1108-4B96-893D-3ABF2C7B4E54-854[/url]

This was the original Factory Stance.

521933_467977246565807_23170838_n.jpg

satcat808: do I remember your username from FH / Speedhawaii.com from way back, and/or HT?

kfunk / funkman here.  I have relocated. :)

Aloha KFunk740

Yup that would be me  on FH / Speedhawaii.com you're living in Ohio now???

Aloha KFunk740

Yup that would be me  on FH / Speedhawaii.com you're living in Ohio now???

Aloha, brah!  I can't remember if we talked much on there, or if we even met in person (it's possible).

But yep, I finished at UH, and got tired of bouncing around jobs with unreliable funding and dealing with traffic.  I packed up and sent the '74 BMW to San Francisco, and then drove it here to Ohio.  I've been doing research full-time and teaching part-time, and will soon switch to teaching full-time.  Bought a house, a pick-up truck, got engaged, and all that stuff.  Hawaii is a beautiful, special place.... but living in the country makes me a lot happier.

By the way, what size/type of tires do you have?  Those the stock 14x4JJ wheels?  How is the ride/handling with them?  Your truck looks great, and I've finally got to pull the trigger on similar tires.  Almost done putting coats of paint on my stock wheels, and am thinking about ordering 185/75-14 or 195/75-14 Hankooks.

Mahalo,

Kevin

By the way, what size/type of tires do you have?  Those the stock 14x4JJ wheels?  How is the ride/handling with them?  Your truck looks great, and I've finally got to pull the trigger on similar tires.  Almost done putting coats of paint on my stock wheels, and am thinking about ordering 185/75-14 or 195/75-14 Hankooks.

Mahalo,

Kevin

Howzit Kevin,

Here is the tire tire size I got. 205/75/14 GT W/W TIRES.

Mahalo.

Dean

Howzit Kevin,

Here is the tire tire size I got. 205/75/14 GT W/W TIRES.

Mahalo.

Dean

Whoa, that's really wide!  I thought 195 would be a stretch, and hadn't even considered 205s.  If it works well though, then that'd be great.  That'd be over 26" total diameter, which is pretty close to the original size.  If they stay on the 4" wide rims and don't handle like crap, then I may have to consider that.

Whoa, that's really wide!  I thought 195 would be a stretch, and hadn't even considered 205s.  If it works well though, then that'd be great.  That'd be over 26" total diameter, which is pretty close to the original size.  If they stay on the 4" wide rims and don't handle like crap, then I may have to consider that.

Yeah I had a hard time finding stock size with white walls.  This was the best I could do they are a little tall but still work ok for me.... Good luck

Aloha

Dean

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...