Junkyard woes

So the other day I was in a local junkyard just having a field day. To me a day in the Junkyard is almost better than a day at an amusement park.

Anywho, I walked into the junkyard and lo and behold, an e30 with ellipsoids! I was giddy seeing as I hadn't seen any ellipsoids in the junkyards around my way. I take off the passenger side no problem. Start taking off the driver side headlight assembly when the ring pops off and the glass over the ellipsoid falls off into three pieces. I damn near cried.

Anybody have any sad stories from junkyards?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hit the bone yard wednesday and tried for a horn button but one of the screws was stripped. it was perfect. no breaks or anything. went back the next day to get it and someone had RIPPED it in 2 to get the turn signal switch out. and i keep forgetting to get some things but i ahs no monies to go backout and play. oh well. there willbe others eventually.

A couple of months ago I was out at the junkyard (not local mind you) and came across an unblemished dash top for the 610. Mind you, its a rare creature to see a 610 at a yard, but one with an unblemished dash top is even rarer. I lovingly removed all of the dash components and removed the nuts underneath. The very end was to remove the two halves that are next to the windshield and take my prize...

But it was not to be: The foam had separated from the metal that holds the screws. The dash pad foam was crumbling underneath, so no real hopes of gluing it. And to top it all off, the ends had curled up ever so slightly, barely noticeable, until it needed to be removed. I was so disappointed, I could have cried. :(

So the other day I was in a local junkyard just having a field day. To me a day in the Junkyard is almost better than a day at an amusement park.

Anybody have any sad stories from junkyards?

From my profile:

Interests:

Datsuns, 620's in particular, pre-Nissan, post Nissan, wrecking yards, everything else, in that order!

A wrecking yard IS my amusement park. I would rather be there than almost anything else. It's like treasure hunting.

Story

Right next door to the local yard is a scrap metal re cycler and often cars show up there. Once there was a 280z. I bought it for $30, took the 5spd (which went in my truck about 5 years later AND works beautifully!) alt, thermostat housing, power steering box (I also used) flywheel, GR starter on and on... It was like being in a candy store, but I digress...

One day there's like 30 cars there all stacked on top of each other and low and behold a 620 on the bottom level covered with cars. I climbed into one of the cars and rolled the window down so I could get over to the next one. Had to smash that window out to get through it to the 620. Luckily the truck window is down and I half crawl inside. PERFECT dash, not a mark, just dusty! I check the glove box as this is a perfect place for owners to put brand new parts that they never get around to putting on... new U joint in box... put in pocket.So I climb all the way out from under the pile and tell the owner that I want the dash out of the truck and he says come back Saturday when they crush them with an excavator and load on flatbeds.

I get there and the pile is half gone and the excavator is hammering them flat and stacking them on this flat bed trailer. I go over to the operator and tell him that I want the 620 set aside so I can take the dash out of it and he nods. He swings the arm over and grabs the cab using the bucket and spur like giant ice tongs and crushes the top of the cab, glass exploding out front and back, takes a second grip even deeper and yanks it off the ground, most of the drive train falling out, swings it around and drops it in front of me. Naturally I've stopped screaming by now, as he couldn't hear me over the motor anyway.

So there's my dash which is now a foot and a half narrower and me almost in tears, shoulders slumped, shaking my head in dismay. And there's the arse hole excavator operator looking at me through the glass with his left hand raised, palm up with a confused look on his face and I can read his lips saying "WHAT?"

i went to the yard and stumbled on a 73 610 wagon it had the fron bumper i had been looking for for a while so i take it off get up to the front to pay for it they wanted $60 bucks :eek: i didnt have the money for it so i had to let it go zerow knows about this adventure and how upset i was lol

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the yard today and I found a 14 metric snap on wrench/ratchet tool on the floor. I found some kids around my age working next to a 240sx and I was guessing it was there's... I ask them this.... "Do you know when the half off sale is going to happen in the ecology?" They looked at me said WTF laughed and then ignored me... I pocketed that tool and walked away... A couple minutes later while I was looking at another 240sx, the same kid quickly walks up too me with out saying a word. Now knowing the ratchet was his, I intentional turned my body around so he could actually see the ratchet in my pocket. He yanked it out and told me if I had I problem, I told him I did... Luckily after this small argument he left. and I continued too look for Datsun and 4runners....

People with attitude problems should die. If anyone needs a tool, I'll let them borrow it. Need parts you can have them... I ask these kids a simple question and there behavior was unacceptable. I would of kept that tool if they never found me!!!! IF ANY ONE WANTS TO START SHIT I'll gladly try to kick your ass... ANY ONE! Luckily he didn't push it farther cus I too was ready to get down.... :fu:

The end!

Last weekend I decided to call some of the local wrecking yards in search of 280zx struts for my 510. The first place I called was Garraways. To my excitement they had a 81 in the yard and told me 35 bucks each strut assy. I packed a tool box up a ripped down there all excited. When I got there the car was sitting on the dirt on the rotors. I spent an hour trying to find a jack. After finally finding a stock jack I busted my ass for about an hour jacking up the car and getting the struts off. In direct heat I carried those heavy ass assy's all the way from the back to the counter.....55 bucks each the dude said! WTF I only brought 70 with no more in the bank for parts. I said well I will buy one can you please hold the other for me until friday and I will pick it up."Ya I can hold it.......you go put it back in the car and it will be held for you until someone buys it" the bastard says. So I carry this heavy ass assy bak to the back of the lot and place it inside a newer Nissan figuring if they start crushin this old Z will go before this 90's 240. Any ways a week of stress at work wondering when I can get the other side and I finally gathered the cash to do so. I got up early today all excited again to pick the strut up. I get down there and the car next to the 280zx (which my strut was in) had been crushed an hour before I showed up. Now I have one f%$&^ strut and my stock 510 struts have the perch cut off! WTF Any one know where I can get a 280zx strut I would greatly appreciate it!

Went to the yard today and I found a 14 metric snap on wrench/ratchet tool on the floor. I found some kids around my age working next to a 240sx and I was guessing it was there's... I ask them this.... "Do you know when the half off sale is going to happen in the ecology?" They looked at me said WTF laughed and then ignored me... I pocketed that tool and walked away... A couple minutes later while I was looking at another 240sx, the same kid quickly walks up too me with out saying a word. Now knowing the ratchet was his, I intentional turned my body around so he could actually see the ratchet in my pocket. He yanked it out and told me if I had I problem, I told him I did... Luckily after this small argument he left. and I continued too look for Datsun and 4runners....

People with attitude problems should die. If anyone needs a tool, I'll let them borrow it. Need parts you can have them... I ask these kids a simple question and there behavior was unacceptable. I would of kept that tool if they never found me!!!! IF ANY ONE WANTS TO START SHIT I'll gladly try to kick your ass... ANY ONE! Luckily he didn't push it farther cus I too was ready to get down.... :fu:

The end!

Punk ass kids. They're the same types that do what you mentioned, and are also the ones looking for civic, accord or whatever flavor of the rice month it is. I have a special drawer on the bottom of my toolbox for stuff like that, and I empty it once I get outside the yard. hardware, found tools, etc, etc. Just remember this: They're the same kids raised by parents who gave them everything they could ever want or ask for, except for a set of values.

Back in the '70s I was out on the hill climbs a few miles from the farm where I lived. Chevy Blazer was broke down with a fried clutch. The guys were nice enough and said they had packed a spare because they knew it was worn, all they needed was 9/16 wrenches and they could fix it in the bush. Handed it over and said leave it over by that stump. Next week end while out on a run Sat night with some buds, we drove over and shone the headlights onto the stump. Went over and there was my wrench, socket and ratchet! (it wasn't my good ones)

The end!

:blink: Not trying to be an ass, but I couldn't make heads or tails of this post...I don't understand the meaning of your initial question to them, nor the context in which it was asked. Were you trying to borrow something and they said no? Or, did you just steal their tool without asking? :confused:

:blink: Not trying to be an ass, but I couldn't make heads or tails of this post...I don't understand the meaning of your initial question to them, nor the context in which it was asked. Were you trying to borrow something and they said no? Or, did you just steal their tool without asking? :confused:

Nah I "found" this tool like in the bottom of a car. Not the car they were working on... I know I could of said. "Is this your tool?" you know. But knowing that it was a snap-on and very expensive one, anyone would of said yes and keep it and it could not even be there's... So what I tried to do was introduce myself with that question "the half off sale thing". So they can open up and start a conversation. Once I have introduce myself. I was going too ask what type of tools they had "brand" too give me an idea if they were the original owners or not. But they ignored me, and made me look like a fool. Since they would not speak to me and I could not get any info off them. I decided to "pocket" that snap-on that I found. You see? There attitude made me pocket it even though it could of been theirs... Eye for an eye type of thing... Once he came looking for me, I now knew that he was the original owner and I intentionally showed him my pocket so he can see it. He saw the tool and assumed that I stole it... But in reality I didn't since I found it. His personality when I meet him and anger when he confronted me showed that he the type of person that would hit when angered and ask questions later type of thing... Man if I was really f'd up I would of left right away with that tool... Not that I need it... So, what do you think? Did I F'd up? And what would you have done in this situation... I'm always wanting to learn new things... Seriously!

I know if I told this too a judge, he would not believe me... But in the end the owner got his tool but it also made me look bad... I was trying to do a king Solomon type of thing... But that only works when you have power I guess...

fuckin young punk would have deserved a missing snap-on. my biggest problem at the pull-a-part is all the russians and mexicans snickering behind my back. funny thing is i cant understand them but i get a certain vib when they intentionally say something when walking by that i know is a snide remark. pull-a-part in tacoma also has a lot of tweekers and hookers walking around by themselves with no tools or parts always wanting to bum tools/cigs/weed or something. i mean really why would rough looking women be walking the yard alone with no parts or tools?

i passed on a 520 metal dash top not realizing what i was looking at. the next day after my senses came around it was gone. a fellow member bought it for resale.:glare:

I'm sorry for your loss... That why I will not post my junkyard finding's anymore.... I found this month a 1970 510 wagon complete and some turbo z's and other rare parts.... Why even mention them? So that greedy people will make a profit? I rather read post and see what people are asking so then I direct them too the right place... If profiteers want these rare parts, then go look for them yourself... Other people need these parts to get there cars running. And projects get abandoned cus of lack of money... I hate to see people loose hope and give up on there projects...

fuckin young punk would have deserved a missing snap-on. my biggest problem at the pull-a-part is all the russians and mexicans snickering behind my back. funny thing is i cant understand them but i get a certain vib when they intentionally say something when walking by that i know is a snide remark. pull-a-part in tacoma also has a lot of tweekers and hookers walking around by themselves with no tools or parts always wanting to bum tools/cigs/weed or something. i mean really why would rough looking women be walking the yard alone with no parts or tools?

I see good looking girls sometimes at the yard... But there full of oil and grease!!!! I bet there car broke down and there father forced them too come along.... A NICE!!!! They learn something new and also learn to do things themselves... HAHAHAHAHHAAHH!!!! I can see their upset for getting dirty... But they need a car to go out and have fun!!!!!

Nah I "found" this tool like in the bottom of a car. Not the car they were working on... I know I could of said. "Is this your tool?" you know. But knowing that it was a snap-on and very expensive one, anyone would of said yes and keep it and it could not even be there's... So what I tried to do was introduce myself with that question "the half off sale thing". So they can open up and start a conversation. Once I have introduce myself. I was going too ask what type of tools they had "brand" too give me an idea if they were the original owners or not. But they ignored me, and made me look like a fool. Since they would not speak to me and I could not get any info off them. I decided to "pocket" that snap-on that I found. You see? There attitude made me pocket it even though it could of been theirs... Eye for an eye type of thing... Once he came looking for me, I now knew that he was the original owner and I intentionally showed him my pocket so he can see it. He saw the tool and assumed that I stole it... But in reality I didn't since I found it. His personality when I meet him and anger when he confronted me showed that he the type of person that would hit when angered and ask questions later type of thing... Man if I was really f'd up I would of left right away with that tool... Not that I need it... So, what do you think? Did I F'd up? And what would you have done in this situation... I'm always wanting to learn new things... Seriously!

Well, that makes more sense. You kept me guessing with the somewhat incomplete story. If they were being butt heads, I would have walked with the wrench. That said, I would have not tried to confront them, nor pick a fight, especially if you were by yourself. Too many psychopath's these days.

Well, that makes more sense. You kept me guessing with the somewhat incomplete story. If they were being butt heads, I would have walked with the wrench. That said, I would have not tried to confront them, nor pick a fight, especially if you were by yourself. Too many psychopath's these days.

Your right about that I should of not tried too pick a fight... But they got me pretty angry and I'm a little crazy myself.... I think that's what scared them off... :lol: