Datsun 521 fuse box question

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 is def too high.

14.4 is about right, maybe a little more...  At least in my experience.  FYI. Before I knew about differences in alternators, i installed an internally regulated alternator on rig that still had the external hooked up. it got high voltage light that, and even higher..  Not saying that's your issue, but was mine.  two wires and 4 spade connectors i was good 2 go

too high get another volt reg

this is what mine did when i popped it after not haveing the connections tight before starting it up.

I have a stack of volt regs

Mybe try a mechanical oVR ,maybe they less prone to voltage spikes as they use points in stead of circuts. But I had bad luck with the NAPA Echlin/neihof brand ones.

datsunaholic mentioned the correct alternators in post #42

• 2 weeks later...

ok, so the regulators blow when i rev high and get on freeway, im on like my 5th regulator, the alt has been tested and its "good" (autozone)

im going internal regulated alt, i got the wiring figured out except for the T plug that goes to regulator, what do i do with that? :confused:

T plug that goes to regulator, what do i do with that?

What does the instructions say to do?????????? Nothing.with the T just make the 2 jumpers, plug the T in, thats it.

Hope you dont pop the internal reg in the alternator. its Ezer to swap a externat volt reg than a Alternator out every time.

to me this shows soemthing wrong with GROUNDING ISSUE OR A WIRE GOING BAD OR SOEMTHING SINCE YOU DID THIS WIRE TUCK

Carlos...listen to hainz.

You likely have another issue (although going internal is not a bad thing). You should figure the problem out first and then do your change over. If your certain its the alternator, swap it or borrow a known good one to prove. If you don't you can just compound issues which would make it more frustrating.

YOu never know it might fix it doing the Internal reg alt swap. I seen weird things happen.

Maybe the jumpers(shorts) are in the wrong spot. Some people use the old volt reg wires as the jumpers.So I cked out my old USA mecahical volt reg. the wires were the right color but plugged in the wrong spot. so when you plug it in the engine harness it would be wrong. so alwasy ck the engine harness side for the correct colors.

"the wires i jumped on the regulator plug for the IR were the yellow and white/red one, thats how kelowg has his and his runs nice, why cant mine :crying:"

I would guess this is your problem.

poop002_zps39a586e8.jpg

You probably shorted something out when the wires were moved outside the inner fender.

• 2 months later...

ok, here whats been happening, i used the old alternator and worked fine for a good while, so because of my grounds being pretty lame i messed that one up, ok, made better grounds.......finnally today got a new subaru alt 60 amp internal regulated that fit right in, installed it...the only wires i jumped when i took regulator off were yellow and white/red on the regulator plug, i am getting 12v when ignition is on in one wire from alt T plug

problem: not getting more than 12 volts when i start the truck, its not charging

question: do i need to jump any other wires on the regulator plug other than yellow and white/red?