Datsun 521 fuse box question

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i didnt drive it to meet, i didnt wanna risk it

but i got a few wires in the fuse box that are going straight to ground, everything looks good thom, i tested the alt,starter, ignition etc, looks like i have issues in the harness, some of the visible wires did melt or get pretty hot

• 2 weeks later...

got it started, looks like a relay or the flaser was touching the back of my cluster (hopefully thats what it was)

but i dont undestand why still some fuse box wires are going straight to ground, yet when i start the truck and give them all juice no fuses pop and gives me good voltage,, and eveything seems to be working fine  :confused:  :confused: :confused:  :confused:  :confused:  :confused:  :confused:  :confused:  

with no juice fuse box wires go straight to ground, but with juice they work normal :confused:  :confused: :confused:  :confused:  :confused:  :confused:  :confused:  :confused:  :confused:  :confused:   

so everything is working great, good charge, then 20 mins into the drive my charging system goes out, no blown fuses this time, i beleive its my alt jacking up, i unplug battery and truck turns off, and theres a dual plug that goes into alt, no voltage coming out from the on alt on that plug, someone please tell my that my alternator is bad and my trouble is over,

oh and ignition light came on as truck is on, it usually turns off when truck starts

Ratsun owners really need to get a Volt meter or this volt meter. Its simple and works very well You can see whats happening way before the idiot light comes on. By the time the IGNITION light is on its too late.

I only think this is worth 10$ but it works good. plug in Cig lighter and dont drain the battery.

http://equus.com/Product/3721/Battery-Monitor

PS early 521 might hqve a funky plug hook up for the alternator.  When you request a ALt make sure its able to plug in your harness.

Later 521s use the typical T connector like a 510.

If you need a spec typ alternator try a rebuild shop to fix it.

also if you shut your truck off and it still runs. it could be the volt reg.

i have a voltage guage, my battery is fine, i just got it the day before, im only getting 12 volts when truck is on..............i will get alternator tested today or tomorrow,

there is nothing coming out of the t plug

yea003_zps1332b5b9.jpg

the issue started when i accidentaly connected the alt positive and negative together when i was putting truck back together

yes i do stupid things when im in a hurry

I would ck the fuse box area.

if you connected the + and neg wire and not touched the alternator then it couldnt be the alternator unless you touched it at the + post and mayeb fryed a diode.

fisrst off:

the issue started when i accidentaly connected the alt positive and negative together when i was putting truck back together

yes i do stupid things when im in a hurry

should have said this first as I think half of these proplems are Owners induced.

This would never work in Oregon, at least west of the Cascades.

poop002_zps39a586e8.jpg

Is this the truck that is having the wires shorting to ground problem?    It may be "cool" to have the wires hidden like that, but I would keep your bicycle handy, to have reliable transportation.

Where is your fuse box?  Is it moved into the cab, behind the glove box?  is there a possibility the wiper linkage is hitting some wires?  Did somebody do a lot of splicing of wires to move components around?