someone help! l16

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny, though, that 1973 L16s came with an open-chamber A87 stock and are listed as having an 8.5:1 CR...

Something doesn't add up.   I'm not going to disassemble my Mom's '73 again just to measure cc's for the (A87 Open) head or (dished factory stock) L16 pistons, but after a .030 mill on the head it pinged something fierce on anything under 94 octane.  Was fine on old-school Regular leaded gas, but 87 octane Unleaded was a no-go.

Oh, and the crate L16 I have came with a W53 head, FWIW.  However it likely has flattops.

Funny, though, that 1973 L16s came with an open-chamber A87 stock and are listed as having an 8.5:1 CR...

Something doesn't add up.   I'm not going to disassemble my Mom's '73 again just to measure cc's for the (A87 Open) head or (dished factory stock) L16 pistons, but after a .030 mill on the head it pinged something fierce on anything under 94 octane.  Was fine on old-school Regular leaded gas, but 87 octane Unleaded was a no-go.

Oh, and the crate L16 I have came with a W53 head, FWIW.  However it likely has flattops.

It would be closer but no cigar.

210............... 8.58

Closed chamber.... 8.21

Open chamber...... 6.72

This assumes stock 7.01cc L16 pistons....

210........ 38.5cc

closed.... 41cc

open...... 45.2cc

If flattops were used.....

210................. 9.75

closed............. 9.2

open............... 8.62

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.