Truck LSD???

Justin

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so i think i saw that some 620 years had lsds and im trying to find out if so what years. im try to see how i find out what to look for on a 620s diff to see if i should snag it formy wagon.

No 620s or 720s had factory LSD. The first Nissan truck with it was the '86.5 D-21 Hardbody (beating even Toyota) with Sports Package, also available on the WD-21 Pathfinder a half year later. The Path also had optional rear disc too. It only came on the VG equipped HB truck and was an H-223 rear. (slightly larger than the Ford 9") The width, from rim mount to rim mount, is 1.5 meter or just over 59". It's a freekin' MONSTER!!!

Here's my 4.625 (also came in 4.375)

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/720%20stuff/Pathfinder--D-21conversion027Large.jpg[/img]"]Pathfinder--D-21conversion027Large.jpg

well i guess i herd wrong . so in a wagon whats the best recommended swap of gears that i might find in a junk yard er something. i m part cheap bastard and part of me likes fixen up little things fer me self. geee what are my doing here huh?

i got an l20b in me goon and working on a 5speed but for the differential what shold i look fer.

Edited by bucket

The '79 620 standards had 4.11 in them. Most others were 4.375. Some 2wd 720s had 4'11s Long box automatics did, maybe others. On a 720, look below the right hood hinge on the inner fender. There is an aluminum tag. At bottom it will say TRANS/AXLE.......... FS5W71B......... HF41 (the 41 means 4.11 ratio)

This one's a 3.889 but you get the idea.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/720%20stuff/720stuff060Large.jpg[/img]"]720stuff060Large.jpg

Once you get one (4.11 or 4.375) you will need to remove the swap the wagon side gears into it because the truck axles are a larger 29 spline and the wagon is only 23. The side gears have the internal splines to match the axle.

All in all it's probably easier to have a shop swap the parts... no! don't let your buddy do it!

I would really like that Frontier axle if it is truely LSD

its a viscous style LSD and even has the sticker that says: 'use only limited slip differential oil' on the pumpkin

anyone who can use it, please PM me!

I don't think so. Should all be like this inside:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/720%20stuff/diffPathfinderLSDclutchpack10Large.jpg[/img]"]diffPathfinderLSDclutchpack10Large.jpg

Here's the older Path rear:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/720%20stuff/Pathfinder--D-21conversion039Large.jpg[/img]"]Pathfinder--D-21conversion039Large.jpg

The 1st-gen Pathfinder LSD breakaway torque specs at 260-289 ft-lbs. The 00-02 models spec 138-180 ft-lbs of cross-axle torque. The 03-04 only specs 29-43 ft-lbs. Making them basically an LSD in name only. The only difference between 1st gen Path and the 00-02 LSD is that the spring discs/plates are keyed to engage the side gear and the case like the rest of the clutch pack, while the X-terra LSDs are not. To go with them you need longer keepers.

X stack on left, Pathy stack on the right:

parts.jpg

Edited by datzenmike

Eventually on the 620. The 521 was a '71 that I bought when it was 7-8 years old. It's long gone.

The 620 has 12.5X33s and needs more gear. The front end is a Toyota and is about 1" wider on each side. Not noticeable with the lift and big tires but the 59" wide Path will even it up.

Did you take yours apart yet?? The parking brake is a tiny drum brake with tiny shoes inside the rotor.

Edited by datzenmike

oh its gonna be a lifted truck, nice..

havent messed with it yet, i will later when i find a deal on the rotors and calipers cause mines are pretty beat, i did undo one of the sides and found the hand break cable is on its last finger about to rip apart.

Oh, it's lifted alright. About 14" higher than stock. I blew the stock rear 2-3 years back because I didn't notice a leaking pinion seal and it went dry. I swapped in another, but when installing it I noticed it was a 4.11, crap. With L20B and 33s it was pretty s l o w. I up-graded to a larger torque-ier Z24 motor but it really needs at least 4.375s in it.

If you have access to the Path it came out of, look below the right hood hinge on the passenger side inner fender. Tucked up in there is an aluminum tag like this:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/720%20stuff/720stuff061Small.jpg[/img]"]720stuff061Small.jpg

Near the bottom is: TRANS/AXLE ..... RE4RO1A..... HG46

The HG is the rear diff size type/diameter, the 46 is for the 4.625 ratio. The Path also has an HG43 which would be 4.375

You can also take apart and read the numbers stamped on the crown gear. The 4.625 would read :

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/720%20stuff/Pathfinder--D-21conversion024Lar-1.jpg[/img]"]Pathfinder--D-21conversion024Lar-1.jpg

37/8 = 4.625

35/8 = 4.375

You could mark the disc brake rotor and count the number of pinion (driveshaft) turns for one complete rotor turn. If over 4 1/2 it has to be a 4.625. Between 4 and 4 1/2 would be the 4.375.