Truck LSD???

Justin

So I know Subaru makes a compatable LSD for a 510.

But is that only four-lug and independant suspension??

I would like very much to get an LSD for my 620, as driving "locked" just gets a little too squiggily at times.

I saw that (?)reideracing(?) makes an LSD for these trucks, but I was curious if, say, maybe a 6-lug 4x4 toyota axle would work, as I recall hearing that some of them are LSD???

(and I'd rather go to a salvage yard than pay for something to be shipped)

Or perhaps it would be possible to merely swap the 3rd member out of a subaru 190 onto the non-independant rear-end??

(Cause apparently the pathfinders rear-end is too wide?)

Anybody know what type of vehicle I should look for?

Thanks!!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I know Subaru makes a compatable LSD for a 510.

But is that only four-lug and independant suspension??

I would like very much to get an LSD for my 620, as driving "locked" just gets a little too squiggily at times.

I saw that (?)reideracing(?) makes an LSD for these trucks, but I was curious if, say, maybe a 6-lug 4x4 toyota axle would work, as I recall hearing that some of them are LSD???

(and I'd rather go to a salvage yard than pay for something to be shipped)

Or perhaps it would be possible to merely swap the 3rd member out of a subaru 190 onto the non-independant rear-end??

(Cause apparently the pathfinders rear-end is too wide?)

Anybody know what type of vehicle I should look for?

Thanks!!

A Toyota axle would work if you made it work. I dont believe by any means it will be a bolt in affair. Even if you were able to find one I would be willing to bet it is wider than the 620 axle.

The pathy rear end is too wide indeed. That and the pumpkin is 233mm versus the 620 190mm so it wont bolt into the 620 housing. The subaru stuff wont work because the housings are not third members. I dont believe the carrier is 190mm either.

Good luck on your quest and let us know what you find.

One more (quick) question...

Do most LSD's have a nice, friendly sticker that alerts you, or will I be spinning most the wheels I find?

Stickers are nice but not always available........years of dirt, grease, etc. I found the easiest way is to just spin the wheels and hope they both spin.

A Toyota axle would work if you made it work. I dont believe by any means it will be a bolt in affair. Even if you were able to find one I would be willing to bet it is wider than the 620 axle.

I have a 'Yoda axle and it's a little under an inch wider per side. I was worried that it would be noticeable, but it isn't.

Hey Datzenmike..is your Yota axle a 5 lug or 6? The 6 lug axles from trucks and 4runners had the spring perches on the top of the axle, while the LandCruiser axles had theirs on the bottom...I have considered doing a Yota axle from a truck, but the perches would need to be rewelded (not a huge deal)...unless I wanted to give my truck a massive lift in the rear:mellow: at least then I could get gears super easy, lockers or LSDs and seals and brakes would be way more available.

hate to sound like an idiot, but why do we need lsd? i mean, we have like 100 hp!

Speak for yourself. Two marks are better than one......especially in 3rd gear!

a locker is not really meant for a street vehicle... plus air lockers are terribly unreliable and expensive... I'm sure someone makes one... but it sounds like hes trying the ratsun approach.

Fair enough on the cost/ratsun side. Most ARB failures are due to poor installation, not the design. I liked having full lockers since it gave me full control- if I was driving on the street or on snow or ice, I had fully open difs. If I was offroad, I could fully lock it up. To me, preferable to a Detroit where inadvertent lockups going around corners can be :eek:

Maybe there's a torsion type out there like a Detroit True Trac

"For the price and reliability I would just buy a new one...in fact I will be if my Jeep stops spending all my $$$"

Just

Empty

Every

Pocket

!!

I loved the lockers in my Landcruiser. It had 35's, 4.88's, air compressor and tank, welding capabilty, winch, huge bumpers and lights and could go friggen ANYWHERE!

I would NOT want one in my little Datsun. It would be bad to have the engagement around a corner...I agree with Fineline though...if you got it...flaunt it! I love catching that little squeek of scratch in 2nd.:) Plus...with a motor like you've got man, you could scare the crap out of some pedestrians:lol:

hate to sound like an idiot, but why do we need lsd?

THE COLORS MAN :love:

turn on, tune in, drop out :cool:

People used to complain that the NISMO R200 LSD unit was $800 new. (for Z-cars)

Now it is NLA and used ones or going for $700+ :D

R200 LSD 4.375, inc stub axles = $1000 at the swapmeet over the weekend