House of Kolor vs. others...

Hey, all.

I have fallen in love with a particular House of Kolor paint (well... with the color sample on-line, at least).  I've been looking for a high quality painter in Portland that uses this brand.  I spoke with one place, however, and they said that they don't use HoK because it requires too much labor to get it to look right (multiple layers and techniques, he said) so he uses PPG paints.  My question is this: what paints and painters have you all used on your Datsuns?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The guy that said he uses PPG has a gallery on his website of all his body work and paint... there's a '52 Studebaker that has a really close color to the HoK one that I like... gonna go over to his shop after work tonight to talk cost.  Carolina Kustoms in Portland... anybody with feedback on the company?

I'm so new to this, that I am slowly learning bit by bit.  What I've discovered in the last hour is this: Going from stock red to any quality paint color other than red is going to be redatsunously expensive (note the word quality).  My vision is to have a light but smoky, deep and clear silver/grey with black hood, fender flares, front and rear spoilers and matching rims.  I may stick with red and black - just like the interior - because my wallet and my vision don't play well with each other.  I hear ya about finding a painter with a passion for their work and paying well for their craft.  I believe in that.  But, I've got to have a better handle on where my budget ends... and it's LONG before $10K on the paint job (which is what was suggested as reasonable by a coworker for a high quality re-color).  So... time to rethink, re-imagine.  I'll keep typing the updates, though you all get sick of them. :-)

I'll throw my two cents worth in now.

As soon as I saw someone asking about HOK paint jobs on Ratsun I thought, shit, this guy is on the wrong forum (no offense).

Ratsun is more rattle pack territory :)

As you have now worked out, multi layer paint jobs get very expensive!

I've painted a number of cars (I was taught by and old school panel beater how to do paint and panel work) using PPG 2 pak and generally in what we call a base or solid color.

It takes a bucketload of skill, and massive prep work to get a multicolor application to sit right on the car.

Make sure whoever does your bodywork gets it right!

This is particularly important if you are going for a darker color as they will show imperfections much more than what a lighter color i.e. White will. Funny how a lot of my cars have ended up with white paint jobs :)

Doesn't matter how good your painter is, if the prep work is shit, well......

Good luck with whatever you decide to do! (personally I'm a bit of a fan of red and black paint schemes on Datsuns, I think they sit right).