looking for 3.55 gears

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Around here they want $106.00 for the 3rd member plus environmental fees, and it looks like they have come down $20.00 since I was last there.

By the time you add in packaging and shipping and paying someone to do all the work, you easily have a $200.00+ bill.

Do you have the engine to turn them kind of gears?

Sure it will but as the numbers go down the sluggishness goes up. The Mileage Option 720 with it's Z20 motor has a 3.364 and it works, but I can only assume it is no jack rabbit off the line.

Most Z24 720 2wds had 3.545 diffs. Check yours, it's on the engine tag under the pass side hod hing bolted to the inner fender. Bottom line TRANS/AXLE....... FS5W71B....... HF35

Sure it will but as the numbers go down the sluggishness goes up. The Mileage Option 720 with it's Z20 motor has a 3.364 and it works, but I can only assume it is no jack rabbit off the line.

Most Z24 720 2wds had 3.545 diffs. Check yours, it's on the engine tag under the pass side hod hing bolted to the inner fender. Bottom line TRANS/AXLE....... FS5W71B....... HF35

Are you sure about this datzenmike, I rarely see 3.5 gears in the wrecking yards around here, they are all 3.8 or 3.7 gear ratios.

I have a set of 3.545s in my 521 diesel, but I have the torque to get it going, but I don't usually use it to haul any kind of weight either.

I would like a set of 3.364 gears to try them out on the diesel, I have not seen a set of them in a long time, but I have not been looking lately either.

From 'mid '82 on (or when the Z24 came out) they are 3.545

Z20 were 3.364

SD25s were 3.889

Cab/Chassis were 4.375

All automatics were 3.700

Earlier trucks with Z22 and SD22 were much different

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.