sneak peek: '72 4door

he almost got the motor in tonight. he has to do a little trimming on the front edge of the crossmember to get the oil pan to fit. the LZ22 is a pretty sweet setup. hes runnin a single holley right now to start out but has sidedraft 44mm solexes that are goin on it. he was having problems getting his cam oiler out of the old valve cover so itll go in later. the motor came out of his old "mini stock" 510 that he raced at the local circle track. they calculated it out and found it is 16.1:1 compression and it runs 8k rpms. its got a bunch of trick stuff like an aluminum flywheel, billet electronic distributer, remote and adjustable timing and rev limiter, and sumped oil pan.

0928081850.jpg

0928081850a.jpg

his coilovers for the back just showed up the other day. all the wiring is most of the way done so its getting pretty close to getting it back on the road.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So it's a 'Z' block with an 'L' head? Cool!

correct.

to get the head gasket to stay together with that much compression he also has to spray aluminized paint on the surfaces and let it get tacky before he lays the gasket on.

anyone notice the oil line going in the side of the pan? thats where the pickup is for the oil and then it goes straight into the side of the pump. the internal pickup is blocked off.

yep, the motor was originally built for a circle track car as far as not starving when turning left. the baffles in the pan also keep it from starving the other way as it has also been autocrossed too. it holds more capacity than a stock pan and still keeps the stock location of the crossmember(the front lip just has to be trimmed a little bit.)

• 2 weeks later...

in that size those wheels wont fit without being narrowed. i havent dealt too much with wheel fitment so im not sure what will fit.

the front is i believe 280z stuts which i think are .5" narrower and shorter control arms and the upper mount is moved in a bit. im not totally sure on that as i havent really been working with my dad on this project.

okay so i 300% love those wheels and i'm getting ready to order the same set, but i didn't know if zero offset would stick out too far. i know yours has narrowed suspension, but do you think those wheels would fit on a stock suspension 2dr with the BRE flares?????

also tire size?????

Yes, these wheels will fit a stock suspended 510 with BRE flares.

normal_red_car_backside.jpg

This is a 16x8 wheel with a zero offset, and a 225/40/16 tire: DOES NOT fit with coilovers:

510225.jpg

The tires almost worked before coilovers, but were really close to the strut tube

.....Sorry for the threadjack, but I am trying to help charlie6178 save some time and money.

LayedoutB2K: What did you do for front suspension?

Edited by INDY510

Indy, are you sure those are zero offset? On stock 510 struts?

I ask because an 8" wide, 0 offset wheel typically has around 4.5" of back spacing. That is the same back spacing as a 7" wide wheel with a +13mm offset. Considering that a +20mm 7" wheel is known to fit stock 510 struts, I don't see how a zero offset 8" wheel wouldn't fit. I am thinking of putting these very wheels on my slightly flared car, and I've done some measurements, and I'm pretty confident that they will fit, and my flares are much smaller than BRE flares.

Indy, are you sure those are zero offset? On stock 510 struts?

They are actually 16x8 with a +10mm offset, and a 10mm spacer

This picture is with the 10mm spacer, and NO COILOVERS, only stock 510 suspension:

510332.jpg

The same wheels DO NOT fit with coilovers, the 13"s fit with coilovers, and stock 510 strut tubes

Edited by INDY510

what strut/hub assy are you useing indy? and for that matter what setup is on the blue 510??

With my wagon dropped on S12 struts/hubs and coil overs my 16X7 +14 racing hearts rub HARD on my fender lips and I've rolled the crap outa them. I'm gonna have to crank in camber up front to clear. I have a ton of room inboard though.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...