Basic LZ22 Build w/ Flat Top SSS SU

jvb5577

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got lucky with my brass freeze plugs, Napa here in town had them in stock.  The look of the brass plugs looks way better in my opinion.  

EricJB, curious as to why you had to concrete you block?  Was it just for boring or does it help for the drag racing engine?

ok, yes the con rod from the L16 are 3mm longer and the ka24 89mm piston is about 3mm shorter ,  but which are the open chamber and close chamber head? my engine is the L18 and i have a spare L16 block withe cons and pistons. my target is run a cross flow head if i find one from the 910 bluebird, or if i dont to run my own L18. i was considering to match a 16 valve head, but here there are not any ka24 engines and bring one from abroad will COST A LOT... and i want the compression to be more than 9.5 to 11.and my rev range close to 9k.... i want it to be a high rev engine...

ok, yes the con rod from the L16 are 3mm longer and the ka24 89mm piston is about 3mm shorter ,  but which are the open chamber and close chamber head? my engine is the L18 and i have a spare L16 block withe cons and pistons. my target is run a cross flow head if i find one from the 910 bluebird, or if i dont to run my own L18. i was considering to match a 16 valve head, but here there are not any ka24 engines and bring one from abroad will COST A LOT... and i want the compression to be more than 9.5 to 11.and my rev range close to 9k.... i want it to be a high rev engine...

L18 block bored to................... 89mm

L18 crank............................... 78 mm stroke / 2 = 39mm

L16 rods................................ 133mm

KA24E piston......................... 34 mm pin height

c/l crank to piston top............ 206 mm *

c/l crank to deck height......... 207.85 mm

*This is better with only 1.85mm or 11cc added to the combustion chamber volume.(everything above the piston becomes combustion chamber)

Compression with an 89mm bore, KA-E piston, L18 78mm stroke is as follows...

Open chamber head.............. 8.2

Closed chamber head............ 8.73 .... not too bad

REVISION ONE

The L18 block is beefy enough to deck 1mm so if we remove 1mm this is the equivalent of 6.2cc of combustion chamber removed and the compression now becomes...

Open chamber head.............. 8.99

Closed chamber head............ 9.58 .... not bad at all.

Now this is assuming that the L series heads heads are not shaved or milled.

A KA24E head is out of the equation as it's over 20cc larger than the open chamber L heads.

The KA24DE is almost exactly the same combustion chamber as the L series open chamber head. Good choice!

its like this forum is an open book, you always find an answer !!! Thank you guys! Well, i will go the old way using my own L18 head , i also want to keep the  looks of the original engine with only changes like the throttle bodies ,nothing to show that is a fast motor in the hood... any suggestions on the cam and springs? i ve heard that iskenderian cams are good...

With an 89mm bore you will have to get creative with the head gasket. Most use a Z24 head gasket, drill holes where needed, and graft an L timing cover piece to the front. Copper ones can be custom made too.

Just did my 500 mile oil change... well it was more like 630 mile oil change.  Didn't burn any oil.  The oil had a shimmer to it.  Seems like there was a little metal particles in it.  Everything has been doing great.  Compression is at 179-184 across all cylinders.  Just wanted to check to make sure that this is normal.  

Thank K_trip just what I was hoping for

On the fun run I opened her up a little and WOW.  Its got some power compared to my L16.  Still need to get a good tune on the carbs... just been lazy on that.  Only been pushing the engine to around 5500 but I am running the 38mm carbs and need to get my exhaust done.  After that I will push it higher and see what she has.  Feels good being able to chip the tires shifting to second and third.

Also can't complain about being able to do 100mph on the freeway no problem  :devil:

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 years later...