Basic LZ22 Build w/ Flat Top SSS SU

jvb5577

X2 on the Clevite bearings. Use a tri metal bearing if available. Factory Nissan bearings are the most accurate fir, but Clevites are my second choice. Stay away from aluminum bearings like King. They muddle.

I'm confused. You're using a Z22 block, L20 crank, 6" N85 rods and an L head...right? If so, you won't be able to run a flat KA piston, you will need to run a cut KA24DE (16 valve) piston. Pin height, compression ratio and pin mounting (floating or fixed) are the variables.

Have you done any engine math yet?

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just following the Jason Grey information.

Parts: Z22 crank, KA24 pistons, L20B rods in a +2mm bored Z22 block
s/2+r+p= 92/2+145.9+34.0= 225.9 mm
piston deck height: -1.55mm below deck

Will get the Clevite bearings.  Thanks for the suggestion.

I was told Clevite brand bearings, that say NDC on them, i have part # if you want for atleast standard size

Yes can you give part #

Just following the Jason Grey information.

Parts: Z22 crank, KA24 pistons, L20B rods in a +2mm bored Z22 block

s/2+r+p= 92/2+145.9+34.0= 225.9 mm

piston deck height: -1.55mm below deck

Will get the Clevite bearings.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Yes can you give part #

The Rod bearing part# i have are CB-966 p, and thats for a standard size bearing

The main bearing part# I have are MS-2042 p, and that is also for a standard size bearing

Is this engine going to be in a DD??

9.9 CR is getting up there....

I could take you for a ride in my 510 and say it's 10.5 + CR....and you'd probably believe it.... lol

It's only 8.5 with the open chamber U67...no pinging, no run on....no premium gas.

As mentioned in another thread......It's all in the gears....sort of....lol

Also...L20B and Z22 rods are of the same.... that said, when pressed on Z24/D21 and or pistons, confirm that there is enough clearance.

Z22 rods are thicker than Z24s.....soooooo

Z22 rod on Z24 NPR piston....not enough clearance at .012"

P1010016.jpg

Should be around 2.5mm...Small end of rods were then shaved

When you get the new bearings... confirm oil clearance is in spec

EDIT

Actually...I wouldn't even buy the bearings yet

When you get the block bored....take the crankshaft in and have the machinist 'measure' it

And who knows....maybe the rods are out of round/spec also.

It is going to be a DD but I only drive to work which is 3 miles away, then on trips out of town for the weekend, ect.  Premium gas is not an issue for me.  Also going with a bigger cam on a open chamber U67.

I will be getting everything measured once I go the the machine shop.  Plan to use the L20b rods I have not the Z22e rods.  Not sure if the L20bs are thicker but I will see once they get measured.  How much did you shave off?

Sealik what are your engine specs?

One more thing about the bearings, some main bearing sets have full grooves, some don't. Meaning, the full groove sets have oil grooves in the upeer shell and the lower shell. The others only have oil grooves in the upper shells. Since the #2 and #4 mains feed the oil to the rods, I like to have full grooves at least on these mains. You can buy 2 sets and mix match or you can even chuck them up in a lathe and cut them yourself. I do this to widen the grooves in racing motors.

Another trick to aid in oil flow to the rods is to drill the #2 and #4 main oil feed holes to 1/4". You will need to drill the holes in the corresponding main bearing too. And be sure to deburr the bearings and block after you're done.

I will be getting everything measured once I go the the machine shop.  Plan to use the L20b rods I have not the Z22e rods.  Not sure if the L20bs are thicker but I will see once they get measured.  How much did you shave off?

Doug is talking about Z24 pistons... you were talking KA pistons. KA pistons should fit the L20B/Z22 rods just fine.

Doug is talking about Z24 pistons... you were talking KA pistons. KA pistons should fit the L20B/Z22 rods just fine.

Actually...

I was somewhat referring to any rod/piston swap combo....just confirm there's enough clearance, being that the Z22/L20B(?) rods are about 2mm thicker

DO your CR math.Strokers inherently have a highr CR than "normal" engines.

Yeah...then combine that with a higher duration cam, which results in a non conducive DD because RPM has to be above 3000+????

My 491/260 is advanced.... ...  with 438s

Bullet out of the hole....most excellent DD.

Now.......I just have to upgrade the brakes....lol.

When I used the calculators for CR I got 9.7:1

Then when I did it by formula (includes HG) I got 9.5:1

Note that is is not with the exact measurements of what I will be using since everything has not been measured yet.