Basic LZ22 Build w/ Flat Top SSS SU

jvb5577

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well took everything just about apart to see how it was.  Front timing cover is broken :sneaky:   No wonder there was so much RV sealant around this.  Also one of the threads that hold the head to the block seems to be stripped on the block.  It is one of the middle ones.  Bolt came out but upon inspection I can see they are rounded in the head.

IMG_0538.jpg

Here are the pistons

IMG_0543.jpg

Pretty clean and smooth

IMG_0549.jpg

The valves look nasty

IMG_0550.jpg

You can see the bottom middle bolt is oily, that is the one that is stripped in the block

Okay guys and gals,

I am going to start to collect parts for this build.  I am planing this from the jason grey:

Big Bore 2.3L

KA24 pistons into a bored Z20/Z22/L20B block. The small 2.8cc dish area of the KA24 pistons helps to preserve compression ratio even with the low piston deck height. Compression ratio with a open chambered U67 head is 9.9:1 or use dished Z24 pistons and peanut chambered head for 8.9:1 compression ratio.
Parts: Z22 crank, KA24 pistons, Z22S/ L20B rods in a +2mm bored Z22 block or +4mm Z20/L20B block.
s/2+r+p= 92/2+145.9+34.0= 225.9 mm
piston deck height: -1.55mm below deck

I have some questions. 

What would be a good cam to use for this setup?  Say I am going with the U67 open head.  Also going to use as a DD

What valves, springs, ect. should be fitted to the head?

Can I use the Z22 alternator?

I need the KA24e pistons out of a truck?

• Like 1

Thanks!

Okay I have been looking for a set of KA24e pistons.  Don't want to spend anywhere near $400.  Should I just go with stock pistons from a D21 or 240sx?  OR will a pair of cheap ones that go for $150 with pistons and rings be recommended?

I still need the cylinders measured, if they are well within spec I may just have them honed and new rings on the pistons to keep cost down for say a R1 carburetor setup?

Why does there have to be so many options to this build :hmm:

Good to know.  I am pretty sure I need the early ones from the KA24e?

I have the block bare and was looking at the crankshaft bearings.  One is worn down the the brass looking finish.  Should these be replaced? 

IMG_0593.jpg

Abso freeking lutely!!!

There are three different sytle KA24 pistons that I can remember; early pistons, late pistons and 16 valve pistons. The dish is different on all of them.

The first few months of the S13 there were 9 to one compression (slightly domed) KA24E pistons 12010-40F10.

From November '88 on the S13 pistons were 2.8cc dish 8.6 compression pistons 12010-30R12.

The truck KA24E pistons were similar to the 12010-30R12s above, but not cut for C clips to retain the floating pins. They were the same, but different, and with a different number.

The S14 KA24DE has a vastly smaller combustion chamber and so has a much larger piston dish. Probably around 11cc or so. 12010-53F00

The truck KA24DE pistons were similar to the 12010-53F00s above, but not cut for C clips to retain the floating pins. They were the same, but different, and with a different number.