aintnobiscuit

Bad gauge cluster voltage regulator? Easy $2 fix.

I just put one of these in my car , I was having intermittent fuel and temp guage  one day it worked next minute it didnt 

I am excited to see if this cures my problem 

• Like 1

Oh man, that looks awesome! Good job! I'm going to do the same thing now!

:w00t:

It does work, and pretty well. Here's a vid. I forgot to post it a while back. I wish there was a way to make it work faster, but I'm just happy it's working.

• Like 1

Different question, how much voltage is supplied to the sender itself. Is it just straight 12 volts?

• Like 1

I have the regulater. Gonna solder it up tonight and let you dudes know how it works:-) I'm excited to solve this minor issue finally

• Like 1

So I made my voltage regulator. Just a quick question.

Thers 12v in, 9v out. So wouldint I have two outsputs as there are two blade connection style hookups on

The gauge cluster. Or is one an input and other out put?

• Like 1

12v into the VR, 9v out of the VR, common ground. You power the gauge cluster with the 9v out. I'm doing this for my 521 in a couple hours, so I'll post pics if you want.

• Like 2

Well if it's set up right, I'm almost on E and my temp is bad. At one point

I reversed the 12v and 9v just to cover my

Bases cause Im not wiring guru lol, the fuel registered half a tank and the temp was high.

Turned the car off. After a bit, turned it on, no temp reading.

I'm going to rip my eyes out.

I'll hit it again tomorrow. It's 1:09 am

• Like 1

If the rivet is loose on the board under the volt reg your guages will rise and fall intermitantly. .02 fix.

• Like 1

Really!!! That's what's going on. Well, I must say I fou a broken wire in my V regulater to so it could be that or the loos rivet.

Thanx man.

• Like 1

So my fuel works . And when I add fuel , the gauge reflects the added fuel. The temp gauge still sucks .

• Like 1

The temp gauge still sucks .

CLEAN THE SENDER AT THE STAT. could be just a bad sender. I seen them go bad. but hard to get thm out of housing w/o breaking them. I usually just swap a whole another housing to conferm the proplem.

• Like 1

The temp gauge still sucks .CLEAN THE SENDER AT THE STAT. could be just a bad sender. I seen them go bad. but hard to get thm out of housing w/o breaking them. I usually just swap a whole another housing to conferm the proplem.

What is the stat?

• Like 1

My shit still doesint work . Temp goes all the way up and the same with fuel

• Like 1

Different question, how much voltage is supplied to the sender itself. Is it just straight 12 volts?

The fuel sender is a variable resistor ground.

The temp sender is temperature affected ground.

• Like 1

The fuel sender is a variable resistor ground.

The temp sender is temperature affected ground.

Back to the basic question!  NO 12 volts is NOT applied to the sensor.  The regulated 8.6 mechanicaly regulated voltage  [or 9 volts if you use the electronic regulated item specified in the basic subject entry!] is applied.  The resultant current flow is applied to the meter which should dampen the almost square wave 8.6 or electronic 9 volts and give a "correct" reading.

• Like 1

Correct. Voltage is applied to the gauge (meter).

Gauge is grounded by the sender unit.

• Like 1

12v into the VR, 9v out of the VR, common ground. You power the gauge cluster with the 9v out. I'm doing this for my 521 in a couple hours, so I'll post pics if you want.

aintnobiscuit did it work ok on your 521? any pictures?

• Like 1

Just found this how-to. It sounds great and I'm going to be doing this to a few of my cars. But the pictures have gone missing, not loading up. Are they still around still?

Mark

• Like 1

Hi,

I was wondering if the articular you posted for the cluster voltage regulator was for the 1966 mustang? I was wondering if the original could be replaced in my 1966 ford mustang. they are way to much for the size of them and would really appreciate if you had a chance to reply. would much rather go the way you did but i might need some kind of diagram or some info.

Thank you

Russ

Russ this is a Datsun forum so no it's not for a '66 Mustang... BUT if the Mustang gauges are run from a similar 8.6? volts supply then possibly it could be used for that. A Mustang or Ford forum might have this info.

• Like 1

yes that's what i was thinking, the guy who made original post had 3 different cars, one was a 66 mustang. 2 friends of mine had 280 z's one put a big block in and the other has a 350, they sound sick. :):):) as in good :) well thanks for the reply, appreciate it.:)

thanks, for the reply datz, not sure if my last response made it but back to you, below, one of your members who posted original , had a mustang for one of his cars , and it came up on a search for mustang voltage regulators for gage cluster, thanks again :) intnobiscuit

Member Since 24 Feb 2012

Offline Last Active Jun 29 2015 04:09 PM star_off.pngstar_off.pngstar_off.pngstar_off.pngstar_off.png

Community Stats

• Group Senior Member
  • Active Posts 892
  • Profile Views 3,121
  • Member Title Senior Member
  • Age 33 years old
  • Birthday October 2, 1982
  • Cars
    1969 datsun 510, 1970 datsun 521, 1966 mustang, 2013 BMW M3
  • Interests
    space, rockets, cars, engines, displacement modifiers, arduino, linux
  • Occupation
    software engineer

Sorry, didn't check back enough posts. If not compatible maybe the components can be jumbled around to tune it to the correct regulated voltage???