What did you do to your 720 today?

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This afternoon I polished my valve cover...

Spent about three hours total on the job. First cleaning with a scotch brite pad and Bon-Ami powder, then sanding by hand with various grit paper, then cleaned again, then polished by hand with liquid aluminum polish and some rags, painted the center section and oil cap black, then put on a coat of wax for protection. Didn't turn out quite the chrome-like luster I had hoped for, I don't know how some of you got that maybe with a power tool? But it has a shine like brushed aluminum. Looks a lot better than before anyway. I like how it turned out.   B)

Before:

AE8F34BC-4471-463F-B8B8-DF1508E06301_zps

IMG_20130426_165146_zpsf49013bd.jpg

After:

CCD4C99F-B668-46C6-9B6D-473884A91F98_zps

83D38C9C-0C7A-4BD6-9A69-0A87184D04A8_zps

Sorry for the blurriness, I guess my hands were shaky from all the sanding and polishing! And the Weber carb still is not installed yet, just placed there for visual. Still have to come up with a solution for an adapter aka $$$. Maybe I'll get the one Tristen has?

I started with this,

DSCN1238.JPG

and then did this,

DSCN3245.JPG

I cleaned it up a little,

DSCN3249.JPG

then I took this,

DSCN3252.JPG

then did this to it,

DSCN3253.JPG

I then put it in here,

DSCN3254.JPG

I then got to this point,

DSCN3260.JPG

then had to cut the hood to be able to close it.

DSCN3259.JPG

It doesn't run yet, as I have a lot of stuff to do yet, like hook up the gauges(boost,oil temp,EGT), it's likely going to take a while to get it road worthy to my satisfaction.

I also have to figure out where to put the inter-cooler, and how to pipe it.

• Like 3

Worked on my wireing harness movement into the new 82 body removed the wites for the original cruse controll... and i think ac extension... not going to need them with the new body and engine ... lol by the time im done the only thing i will have left from my original truck i bought so many years ago will be part of the wireing harness and title stuff lol have replaced almost everything now when i get it back together body check engine check... bed check.. frame... check... clutch master and slave check.... i guess i still have origional clutch booster too lol... brakes check... brake booster and ms... check... tranny check... rear end ,.. check front end mostly check lol... yep i will have a basically a brand new 82/3/4 truck in replaced parts in these last 4 years lol new engine is from a 82 and been on shelf in jy since early 86 shouldnt have too many miles on it... and tranny only has about 60k

Edit: bah, F@#K it, you aren't worth my time. No need to stoop to your low level and have a trolling match.

You did a very nice job on the speaker install. Looks clean.

How about that for a troll?  lol...  A sincere compliment.

***Edit.

Just saw the valve cover too.  That looks nice as well.  Keep up the good work.  You have your work cut out for you. Polished valve covers require upkeep :rofl:. They do look good tho!

Ive seen some people clear coat them to try and help, but even then after time the clear coat peels.

If you want the ultimate valve cover... You could have it powder coated silver and black like you have it now. look good for years to come as long as you don't get brake cleaner on it :| lol

• Like 1

Got my Z24 block and head back from Dusty's. Also discovered I have some useable 240sx flat tops :) I had some before but the rings were frozen in the lands. Anyone know who can cut valve reliefs in them? Either local to me or willing to ship if there's a member who's a machinist. I need professional quality.

KA24E pistons should work without relief cuts for the valves.

Even with the nice flat top (not the 2cc dish KA's) with Nismo cam grind close to redline? Just covering my bases. I've heard both ways and really really don't wanna crash valves.

• Like 1

today i put in a the tail light gasket i bought from pnp. it was cracked and dried out but that's better than no gasket at all in new light buckets keeping the water out.

I have the same problem with mine, I feel your pain. I wonder if someone makes a reproduction taillight gasket? I know taillight lenses are reproduced, I bought a set off Ebay.

As for my truck, I did nothing but put a plastic trash bag over the hood vents and a couple of bricks since it was starting to rain. I don't need water getting into my intake and engine! I need to get an adapter plate so I can put my Weber carb on badly! I think I got one coming though thanks to the pay it forward thread! YAY!

My work has cut my hours, so money is fracking tight right now. Can't afford to buy a new adapter kit and other parts I need for it. Idle solenoid, throttle lever adapter kit, etc.  So the truck sits in the back yard... :crying:

I am just glad I own two other cars so I have something else to drive! But I miss driving my old truck...

Yeah I hope it makes it quieter cuz this rack makes way more noise than you'd expect haha. And I never cared to actually put stuff on my rack, let's be honest why in the hell would a truck need a roof rack? I'm fine with admitting that mine is all for looks, which I'm sure some people hate, but oh well!

• Like 2