What did you do to your 720 today?

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So being that I have a 82 and I wanna put my 85 grill on can I just drop the headlight buckets how ever much it takes and redrill the mounting holes or will there be bigger issues in doing that?

Basically yes, you need to use the 85 lower sheet metal between the fenders also, as it has all the bends where they need to be as the bottom of the 85 grill is lower than the 82 grill, as the 85 lower mount holes are lower in the sheet metal.

• 2 weeks later...

Got a quote on what it would be to have my block honed and magnafluxed, and have my head resurfaced and pressure tested. Anyone have any recommendations on a good machine shop in the Vancouver/Portland area? I need a place that can cut valve reliefs in my KA pistons, my usual shop doesn't have the right equipment to do it.

• 1 month later...

Left the house this AM and no headlights. They were working but not now. Jiggled the fusible links, and nothing. Guess I'll replace the fuses and see if that helps. Got a feeling it's wiring related. Does any know which wire (color) are to the headlights:

image_zpsf0945d6d.jpg

I'll do the fuses, but if I don't get them fixed with that, I guess I'll have to do some tracing of the wiring to see if there are shorts, lack of ground, etc.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Took the truck to get the front end aligned but they didn't end up doing it. They instead told me I need $2000 in front end work. Front suspension & steering worn, ball joints with excessive play, outer tie rod excessive play, worn shocks (which is weird because when I checked them they weren't bouncy at all). I understand that a 720 is going to get a lot of wear and tear over 30 years but are these guys crazy? Luckily I don't mind getting dirty to fix the truck's problems. Just curious anybody else experience this kind of wear or mechanics just not familiar enough with it?

Took the truck to get the front end aligned but they didn't end up doing it. They instead told me I need $2000 in front end work. Front suspension & steering worn, ball joints with excessive play, outer tie rod excessive play, worn shocks (which is weird because when I checked them they weren't bouncy at all). I understand that a 720 is going to get a lot of wear and tear over 30 years but are these guys crazy? Luckily I don't mind getting dirty to fix the truck's problems. Just curious anybody else experience this kind of wear or mechanics just not familiar enough with it?

Spend a couple hundred (more or less) on Rockauto and DIY. Not too hard. There are write-ups on here to help you out, too.

It's possible, even likely.  These trucks eat front suspension parts.  You might as well put in all energy suspension bushings while you are at it.  I love how much firmer my truck handles with them.  It goes exactly where I point it.  It felt a bit soggy before.

Yeah I only notice that it wants to take me to the right when I hit bumps or when the road curves down the freeway.

Once you get your suspension sorted out make sure that you get it fully aligned with your butt sitting in the driver's seat.  It's the best way to align these to minimize tire wear.

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...

Done a few things to mine in the past couple of months...

Multi-function switch (lights, wipers, signals) was acting up. I would be driving at night and dash and tail lights would go out randomly, highbeams on in all positions, lights staying on after turning them off. Got a new switch assembly, fixed that. Also the starter died, replaced that with a reman one from Autozone. While I was doing the starter, I noticed the belt was cracked up, so I replaced that. THOUGHT I tightened it up enough, until one cold AM it squealed like a damn pig all the way to work! I was too lazy to fix that for a little over a month! Finally got tired of and fixed that. Ordered a new Weber 32/36 carb kit today from Redline's eBay store... can't wait to get it installed. The old Hitcrapi is driving me nuts flooding, stalling, dieseling, and otherwise making my truck run like a clunker!