What did you do to your 720 today?

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Put a stabilizer bar link on yesterday with creative use of a crowbar and leg power. Im still a mod or two from having an actual 720 though still kinda a d21 till that ecu is gone.

(I like the front end of the actual 720 though, with it lowered a bit they look quite stylish with that grille and 4 headlights compared to the blandish look of the 86' hardbody)

Put a stabilizer bar link on yesterday with creative use of a crowbar and leg power. Im still a mod or two from having an actual 720 though still kinda a d21 till that ecu is gone.

(I like the front end of the actual 720 though, with it lowered a bit they look quite stylish with that grille and 4 headlights compared to the blandish look of the 86' hardbody)

Agreed Nerd, I had a 86 hardbody 4x4 for a lil while...couldn't get rid of it fast enough haha. They are just kinda...meh boring...

Im sure there lots of people that like em though.

Hell, theres lots of people that don't like the 720s cause they are "not old enough" or "to square" as a friend of mine says. I love em myself. Although I have been getting interested in the 620s lately...

I think the older models are the nicest looking especially the 73 to 77 models, the 720 is a sharp truck too and theres plenty of nice examples on ratsun.

I know mine will be getting a major makeover in 2 or 3 months, going to try to put the 720's front onto this hardbody and give the thing a new paint job.

(will problably do something unique for the extra set of headlights, like make them switchable auxiliary lights or something, or maybe even get some mesh that looks right with the grille and put 2 loudspeakers behind them for outdoor music fun)

I removed the safety chain rings on my 720's back bumper. When I went back to the stock rims on my truck, I couldn't get the 720 up the driveway without scraping. So I took off the rings and I now have just enough clearance to make it. Don't know if it will clear when I have a load in it though...

Thanks man! She still has a long way to go, but its getting there.

as i look at these pictures it seems like it might be nigh impossible to fit a 720's front onto my truck (at least in a reasonable way, the front end has angles to it that my hardbody lacks), i may try to put a 94 hardbody grille on it though since they do look nicer than the very dull very plain 86 grille.

Well i took off my front fenders to replace an beat up one...in the process, I snapped both the bottom bolts under the door area. go figure..lol I will drill those out later. my question is this, will the 84 front fenders fit on my 82 that was made 4/82.  I know the front grill is different but was wondering about the fenders. thanks everyone.

only diff between 720s were the beds and the early 720's had a different core support. I think nissan actually  mighta used left over 620 core supports actually. i converted my early 81 to the later 85 and up front end and had to modify the headlight buckets etc.

I thought there was a body style change from the 80-82 and the 83-86, thus making the grills, marker lights, and front fenders not interchangable unless a front end change was made. Same with the change in the beds for the tail light locations (horizontal vs. vertical).

I cut a hole in my floor.. then i welded it up. Few more holes to cut and patch, then coat with zero rust.. after that the dash is coming out so i can source and repair water leaks around the cowl area. After all that is done... the carpet will finally go back in and the beater factor will go down a notch.

I thought there was a body style change from the 80-82 and the 83-86, thus making the grills, marker lights, and front fenders not interchangable unless a front end change was made. Same with the change in the beds for the tail light locations (horizontal vs. vertical).

There was a change, the regular cab became a couple inches longer so there was more legroom, but the doors forward remained the same, there were minor changes, like the early models had the headlights up high, so the radiator core support only had one set of mount holes for the headlights, but the later models had the mount holes for both headlight positions, so it is fairly easy to put the 80-82 frontend parts onto the later model trucks(83-86), but the front sheet metal between the front fenders will also need to be swapped for it to look correct.

The 1980 had some differences that changed in the 81 model year, such as how the front bumper mounts, it is a one year bumper mount bracket, and the radiator is also unique, one year only, unless it is a 620 radiator, that I don't know.

It's a lot harder to put the later grill onto the early truck, as mentioned by jesusno2.

The front corner lights are taller to match the taller/lowered grill, they just cover more of the fender, the way the fender is made never changed through all the 720 years, the hoods also interchange, I like the 1980 and 83+ hoods myself.

This is an 84 datsun/nissan 720 with a 81-82 grill/marker lights/headlight position/sheet metal, and it has an 84 bumper.

DSCN0119.jpg

Notice how the sheet metal holes are cut off by the late bumper, unlike my 1980 720 below.

DSCN0049.jpg

I did this recently to my 720, I converted to round headlights.

DSCN1459_zps9ea90665.jpg

You can interchange a lot of things on the 720 model, it was just a model with a lot of things stuck together that were very similar to the models before(620) and after(hardbody).

• Like 2

There was a change, the regular cab became a couple inches longer so there was more legroom, but the doors forward remained the same, there were minor changes, like the early models had the headlights up high, so the radiator core support only had one set of mount holes for the headlights, but the later models had the mount holes for both headlight positions, so it is fairly easy to put the 80-82 frontend parts onto the later model trucks(83-86), but the front sheet metal between the front fenders will also need to be swapped for it to look correct.

The 1980 had some differences that changed in the 81 model year, such as how the front bumper mounts, it is a one year bumper mount bracket, and the radiator is also unique, one year only, unless it is a 620 radiator, that I don't know.

It's a lot harder to put the later grill onto the early truck, as mentioned by jesusno2.

The front corner lights are taller to match the taller/lowered grill, they just cover more of the fender, the way the fender is made never changed through all the 720 years, the hoods also interchange, I like the 1980 and 83+ hoods myself.

This is an 84 datsun/nissan 720 with a 81-82 grill/marker lights/headlight position/sheet metal, and it has an 84 bumper.

DSCN0119.jpg

Notice how the sheet metal holes are cut off by the late bumper, unlike my 1980 720 below.

DSCN0049.jpg

I did this recently to my 720, I converted to round headlights.

DSCN1459_zps9ea90665.jpg

You can interchange a lot of things on the 720 model, it was just a model with a lot of things stuck together that were very similar to the models before(620) and after(hardbody).

All really good info! A lot that I didn't know, untill now. Sweet deal, thanks for the clarification.