What did you do to your 720 today?

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks man for the comments on the truck and bay, as for the seat its kinda deceiving your seeing the passenger seat which was laid back when I took the pic, the drivers headrest is behind the side pillar. 

as for the bike in the bed. I will have a hard cover with lift shocks so it will not be able to load a bike in the back when im done...but its all still mainly for looks. just like the wire tuck and rolled fenders. etc etc. just doing stuff that I think looks cool and makes me happy...thats  the best part of my little project truck.

• Like 1

I will have a hard cover with lift shocks so it will not be able to load a bike in the back when im done...but its all still mainly for looks. just like the wire tuck and rolled fenders. etc etc. just doing stuff that I think looks cool and makes me happy...thats the best part of my little project truck.

^^^^This is what it's about. Doing what makes YOU happy. You can do anything you like to your truck. Lift it, slam it, track it, stance it. It doesn't matter, as long as it makes you happy!

I replaced ALL of the vacuum hoses and discovered that the little shorty that comes off the carb had a restrictor in it. when that was replaced and the restrictor removed, my Weber carb really smoothed out around the idle setting. The original piece of tubing had a white stripe indicating the restrictive insert. Good for the Hitachi, perhaps, but not so great with the Weber. Thanks for the advice, Dataholic!

I bought my 1985 720 with a blown head gasket last October and spent the winter rebuilding it. She runs like a dream now, with only 61k original miles on the odometer and almost zero rust. King Cab, 5 speed manual, A/C.

Oh man, I love my 720! (I’s show her to you, but I haven’t figured out how to attach a pic just yet...)

So are you lower with just the 4x4 leafs or how does it compare.

X2 on that last question...

720 4X4 leafs will give you a 1 1/2 inch drop from the stock 720 leafs, it is also a slightly firmer ride, but that is good, because you are 1 1/2 inches closer to the bump stops.

• Like 1

Today, I replaced the left rear tail light and beat out a dent (just ahead of the tail light) with my fist and a rubber hammer. “Poit!”

I took my rebuilt ‘85 720 King Cab for its first trip out of town since an engine overhaul today. We drove all the way to Tacoma and back to Olympia and she purred all the way.  I will pull the valve cover again and check the torque values on the head, like datsunmike suggests, then stiffen up my throttle return spring and service (lube) the throttle cable, then she will be officially cleared for highway use!  

I would love to show it off to you, but I am having a devil of a time figuring out how to attach an image to my post. I am sure that flat out disqualifies me from handling a timing light gun...

I love messing around with/in my Nissan720  truck!

Today, I replaced the left rear tail light and beat out a dent (just ahead of the tail light) with my fist and a rubber hammer. “Poit!”

I took my rebuilt ‘85 720 King Cab for its first trip out of town since an engine overhaul today. We drove all the way to Tacoma and back to Olympia and she purred all the way.  I will pull the valve cover again and check the torque values on the head, like datsunmike suggests, then stiffen up my throttle return spring and service (lube) the throttle cable, then she will be officially cleared for highway use!  

I would love to show it off to you, but I am having a devil of a time figuring out how to attach an image to my post. I am sure that flat out disqualifies me from handling a timing light gun...

Chuck Norris... is that you?

Lube the throttle first, this may fix it. Stiffer return springs only wear the throttle shaft quicker. Torque head only when cold. And I would wait a couple of weeks so that it has a dozen warm up and cool down cycles first

• Like 1

So are you lower with just the 4x4 leafs or how does it compare.

So to answer your question and Joe's, I went from 3" blocks on stock springs, to the 4x4 springs, with my large stock overload bolted on. It seems like it does sit lower, but I'm not super sure. I should have measured. About 4" to the bump stops(they're cut down). Plus with the overload, I can't be sure on the stiffness either because it practically sits flat with the 4x4's.

I'd upload pictures, but I'm too lazy to get a photobucket.

Maybe I should so I can start my build thread...

Stiffness isn't looks, take for a ride. The 4x4 springs are much stiffer, perhaps too stiff if you are not dropping it all the way. If you still have lots of suspension travel you might take a leaf out. One things for sure... the lower you go the firmer you should be to prevent bottoming.

Released and thoroughly lubed my throttle cable with white lithium spray grease, per datsunmike’s rec. While that soaked in, I put on a NOS gear shift knob (the old one was missing the shift pattern plate on top and other people may drive this over time). Tomorrow: chassis lube.

Stiffness isn't looks, take for a ride. The 4x4 springs are much stiffer, perhaps too stiff if you are not dropping it all the way. If you still have lots of suspension travel you might take a leaf out. One things for sure... the lower you go the firmer you should be to prevent bottoming.

The truck is my daily, as I don't have another vehicle, but it's hard to tell if it is stiffer because of the 4x4 springs, or because it practically rides on the overload. It definitely is stiffer.

I out the overload in there because I want to be able to haul, and the tires stick right under the edge of the bed.

It does need about an inch moar lowar all around.

Another 720 in olympia? :w00t:

• Like 1

Ok fellas Im losing my mind here, it seems that my passenger side rear wheel sticks out a half inch further from the frame rail than the drivers side.. I have 3 inch drop blocks on the truck but they are centered and all that..what gives. cant move the axle in because of the brackets welded to the axle are hitting the u bolts. and are lined up with the leafs..I know this cant be normal can it? or am i missing something.

Also, if the truck is a heavy duty, did it have stiffer springs to start with, or does it refer to something else?

Heavy Duty models are also known as Cab/Chassis having a cab but no box on them. These are purchased so the buyer can instal a flatbed or a commercial cube box or for a full camper. Heavy Duty models engine tags begin with the letter E as in ENL720XXXXXXX They also have a dual tire axle on the back. The spring rate for an '84 is 649 pounds/in

Regular US 2wd springs are 310 lbs./in.. Optional 2wd and 4x4 springs are 442 lbs/in. These are likely what you may have.

• Like 1

over the last 2 weeks I've spent a lot of time cleaning up the wiring in the engine bay. I got tired of all the extra crap in there that wasn't plugged into anything. I pulled out all the wire loom and electrical tape and traced all wires. cut out what i didn't need. put it all back together and went for a nice drives. Runs well. No issues with it dieseling at shut down now. When I turn it off, it shuts off quickly. Very nice.  Engine bay looks a million time better. 

Also, pulled out the old carbon canister brackets and made a home brew bracket for the coils. It's nice and clean. Loving it. 

Heavy Duty models are also known as Cab/Chassis having a cab but no box on them. These are purchased so the buyer can instal a flatbed or a commercial cube box or for a full camper. Heavy Duty models engine tags begin with the letter E as in ENL720XXXXXXX They also have a dual tire axle on the back. The spring rate for an '84 is 649 pounds/in

Regular US 2wd springs are 310 lbs./in.. Optional 2wd and 4x4 springs are 442 lbs/in. These are likely what you may have.

That all makes sense, and the fsm shows a cab an chassis heavy duty, as well as a long bed heavy-duty(what I have).

My engine tag under the hood is ENL720TVF52. It's a long bed, single rear wheel, but it even has "Heavy-Duty" decal on the tailgate.

This is why I'm curious if the stock springs are the 649lbs ones you mentioned, or the normal 2wd 310lbs springs. If the former were true, I wouldn't really want to keep the 4x4 springs for the loss of spring rate.