LI'l HOOKER 620

denmarkboy

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not trying to bring you down, but a piece of wood is not going to keep the box from flexing separately from the cab.

A frame flexes it's total length, if you watch the box out the back window while driving the truck on a rough road, you will see it move independently from the cab, this is not going to be stopped with a piece of wood and a couple pieces of metal on the sides.

That piece of wood needs to be metal welded in to place to start with, then the outside needs the metal piece added, then a piece on the inside needs to be put in place also, so it will be a double wall.

When you put the back piece into place, it needs to be connected to the tops of the rails, but it also needs to go all the way down to the box bed itself, just like this piece of metal I welded into place on my ute, each one of them round welds is a spot weld I made by drilling a hole, and then welding into place on an internal brace by making each hole a spot weld, I also welded the box to the cab along the top and bottom, you have to brace the shit out of it till it is one solid piece/cab, that can be lifted from any point without flexing or bending.

DSCN0892.jpg

DSCN0891.jpg

This connection has to be solid, any flex and the outside welds will crack, and eventually will fail.

What your doing is even harder to do than what I did, because you don't have a solid back wall below the window.

I just went out and took a couple photos of the inside of the back of my cab, all the white spots are welds connecting the cab to the box via an internal brace, or all the way across the top and bottom.

DSCN1368_zps69d23312.jpg?t=1367643666

DSCN1369_zpseb239864.jpg?t=1367643659

• Like 1

Well who am I to disagree with someone with some much experience. So I get the point about the "wood" , but the M.D.F. was being used a dead space ( extra support ) filler. And believe me I know there has to be metal involved here,and lots of it. I am getting there.,

And I intended to bring the back of the kc cab all the way down into the bed.

We are on the same page, I am getting there .

P.S. I like the red truck better as a 4x4, way cooler.!

Oh and please remember I am not working on your dime piece of a truck. All I got is a dirty old chopped up old nickel I am trying to get me thru summer and then its going back Into the shop and going to make this thing over right .

Well who am I to disagree with someone with some much experience. So I get the point about the "wood" , but the M.D.F. was being used a dead space ( extra support ) filler. And believe me I know there has to be metal involved here,and lots of it. I am getting there.,

And I intended to bring the back of the kc cab all the way down into the bed.

We are on the same page, I am getting there .

P.S. I like the red truck better as a 4x4, way cooler.!

Oh and please remember I am not working on your dime piece of a truck. All I got is a dirty old chopped up old nickel I am trying to get me thru summer and then its going back Into the shop and going to make this thing over right .

I hear that a lot about the 4X4, but I drove it around one day, and the diesel engine didn't have enough power to move it properly, everyday was a windy day with it that high and them big wheels.

I still have that frame, I may put another one together with a bigger engine(VG30), but that is another future project.

I sometimes get a little excited when I see something that I don't believe will work, and usually failed attempts end up scrapped, and this don't deserve to be scrapped, although it doesn't look like it was ever finished to start with, at least not properly finished.

0807mt_03_z1979_datsun_620riding2.jpg

Took a day to do some strategizing,and under the advice of a guy clearly knows what the hell he is talking about ( wayno ) . I am going reinforce the Shit out of this thing. I am probably gonna leave the mdf, my choice.? It's bolted with somet 30 contact points measuring an

1 1/4 each.....blah..blah... My choice I guess,please do not do as I do I am clearly not a professional.! Well I am just not at this.

So since I have already got the kc top and back cut. And I want to make this thing uni---body , And again, one of my first ideas was to cut the mangled roof off and make a convertible. AND THEN IT HIT ME !

I have an open slate with this truck and it was never finished,right or otherwise. The thing that sounds the most fun to me is what I am gonna do . I don't care if its perfect it gonna be cool.. I am going to make it unibody,I am going to make it kc on the top of the cab,And I am going to make it a convertible !

As previously stated I am not a professional(not at this) nor do I play one on tv. So please don't do any crazy Shit because I do when you can watch my dumb ass do it for free.

But seriously, I am gonna go do that ^ stuff.

Awesome day in Oregon ! Please keep advice and suggestions coming ! They help !

Look at this thread, he has another thread with more photos, maybe I will find it one day, I only know where this one is.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/41295-jdm-truckster/

His truck is also cut out for the seats to be farther back.

030412112702.jpg

I found the other link, not that many photos of it either, but there are a couple more.

https://www.google.com/url?q=http://community.ratsun.net/topic/21499-521-ratsun-roadster-kamakaze/page-2&sa=U&ei=5qGGUav4I6KgiALu6oHwCg&ved=0CBkQFjAH&client=internal-uds-cse&usg=AFQjCNFYEqCikUoiiSbCR5s0yKxvx1zT6Q

• Like 1

it seems that every time i get elbow deep in a project reality calls . so time to go play with some different toys

..thanks for the threads wayno..,

Have you ever seen a tailgate / tonneau cover trunk ? I am going to make a 3 section metal tonneau cover. And i am going to make the last section attach to the tailgate,making a trunk out of the rear. i have hinges,striker and lock. i did the math and  it should work..

Oh yeah, got a nice " used " miller welder & a shit load of metal.( thanks coyote steel ) and now all i need is time...pictures when i get em..IMAG0504_zps7448c203.jpg

Well off to the tape measure store, I wore the last one out..! So just wanted to update: I got a lot of ideas for this truck,most I won't get to until winter. At this point trying to make it trustworthy so I can make it to canby for the first time.

So I would love some feedback on the trunk idea. Just never seen it done before,and that means its worth doing. Right?

Anyway trucks running good, still trying to get some video of it running posted..maybe today.

went for a drive today, ran great.when i got home it started sounded like it was loading up so i gave it a couple of revs to clean it out. and there was a BANG ! i shut it down and did the inspection,and as weird as it sound,the header pipe has a hole (see pic).

pulled it in the shop and got under it and sure enough it has a hole.called my exhaust guy who thought the pipe might have been weak,but after sending him a picture he said " nope", so i looked at everything close found nothing .

walkin around in the gravel where the truck was parked when it made the "pop". and found this piece of metal ( weight ) . not sure if its off the flywheel or the torque converter.

so puttin er back on jacks again.IMAG1180_zpseb66000e.jpg

honestly, it shouldnt have that weight if its not a 400..

is its a 400? i guess if it is, your pulling somethin to get a new flexplate on it..

edit: looked at the 1st page... it is a 400.

whats easier, pullin the motor, the trans or both?

thats a shit deal there man. hope it gets worked out.

• Like 1

Gotta pull the motor, not gonna risk messing up the bearings . This was not in my plans(Damit !), I don't wanna tear down the truck yet,was gonna do that this winter.

Thanks to this set back probably won't be making canby. At least not with this truck.

So just tried to tell wifey that I was gonna have to pull the motor. And she said not before putting the motor in her 65.

One thing let to another and now she said get rid of it. I got it for the parts,and wanted to build.

So its for sale. I will post an ad on datsun for sale in a couple mins.

Can you feel my pain ?!!!

So just tried to tell wifey that I was gonna have to pull the motor. And she said not before putting the motor in her 65.

One thing let to another and now she said get rid of it. I got it for the parts,and wanted to build.

So its for sale. I will post an ad on datsun for sale in a couple mins.

Can you feel my pain ?!!!

Speechless.  Sorry, man.

UPDATE : I maybe single in the very near future,but I will have my datsun.!

I have pulled the ad from classifieds. Thank you to those interested parties and forgive me for changing my mind. Well its stickin to my guns,if ya know what I mean. I had to convince someone,that a good mechanics hard to find. And a free one is even harder.

As for " Orange crush " we pulled the motor & trans apart enough to get the flex plate out. Replaced w/tci flex plate from summit.( $85.00) . Had to heat ,pull,weld,grind & weld & grind & paint. It sounds & runs great,I did my best on the pipe.

So "game on ! "

• Like 1