LI'l HOOKER 620

denmarkboy

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well it time to make some happy and some maybe not so much. its time to deal with back!

I am goin unibody ! thats right sailors the best of both worlds! can someone with mad photo shop skills help me out..?? please.?

what i am going to do is : i just bought the top and back of a 78 kc, since i got the truck in this condition i might as well try something? new ? 

anybody smell what i am steppin in ?IMAG1137_zpsd019df59.jpg

glad sombody on here picked this up... I kept thinking about buying it. This is the one that was for sale in Veneta for a while right? Im here local in eugene. let me know if u need any help with anything or parts. I have alot of parts for theses trucks laying around still.

This is the one from veneta, I've had it almost a month now. Already have more hours in on it than I can count. And I will probably be taking ya up on that parts or help offer. Doing everything by yourself can be a challenge sometimes.

Just trying to get this thing road worthy so I can make Canby .

Awesome looking kc by the way. I dig the blue,wheel choice,hell the truck in general !

thanks! :) i plan on going to canby this year as well so lemme know if u need any help making that deadline. I go every year its a blast. normally i meet up with the sacramento convoy here in eugene on friday then we roll up. If u are serious about wanting to come let me know i can keep u in the loop so u can convoy up with us. its always a little added security when u get a pack of datsuns rolling down the road. that way (god forbid) you have any issues your not alone.

• Like 1

Right on, yeah I am going for sure. I havent been to anything like this. Went to a couple meets in so cal when I lived there but that's it. So hell yeah and thanks.

Yeah I am supposed to get the other roof from the wrecking yard by Monday. And I am going to have everything else ready to fit when it comes.

Good metal is good metal in my world. The prerunner build I did,which donated the gate didn't mind either. Could've welded em in that's a lot of heat or a bunch of spot welds. I used a nice 3-m gasket maker,and bedliner coating,pop rivets every 3 "s, its solid so I'm happy.

Biggest thing I found was , your floor pan is only like 1/2 off the frame rails,fuel lines,brake lines. What I did was slide a scrap piece of sheet metal between them before cutting.

And once I get the last coat of bedliner on it it will look even better.

I probably have 50 bucks in the repairs.

well it time to make some happy and some maybe not so much. its time to deal with back!

I am goin unibody ! thats right sailors the best of both worlds! can someone with mad photo shop skills help me out..?? please.?

what i am going to do is : i just bought the top and back of a 78 kc, since i got the truck in this condition i might as well try something? new ? 

anybody smell what i am steppin in ?IMAG1137_zpsd019df59.jpg

I see where this is heading, take my advise and just deal with the cab extension, then deal with the box seperately, in the end I would suggest that you just shorten the box.

I did exactly what you are talking about, it's not an easy thing to do, you have to stiffen the sides of the box to the point where the box itself won't flex at all, because if it does flex, the welds will break at the connection to the cab.

I put so much time into doing this modification that I can now lift the back of the cab/box off the frame without any flex at all.

DSCN1335.JPG

As you can see, the inside of the box has been boxed in to make it solid.

DSCN1213.JPG

DSCN1211.JPG

Just deal with the cab first, then decide what your going to do about the box, and I think your going to need more time, I cannot even put a kingcab together in less than a week, but I want it to be solid, below is a photo of how I spot weld them together, it takes time to do that many spot welds without warping things.

DSCN0104.jpg

This is my first one, it took a long time to do the first one.

DSCN0077-2.jpg

Those are both beautiful trucks ! I sure don't think I can do this in a week( I wish.!) But I want to deal the mess where the cab has been cut .

So you had to build all of the cabs from pieces. Man that's nice.! And I completely agree about the spot welding. That must of taken a couple days.

But I can't even find any pictures of what I want to do. The fleet side you have is close,but it looks line you added to the front bed.?

I know this is going to a challenge. But if it all goes sideways I will just take this body off and start all over. I would like to get one summer out of it before I tear it down. I have to upgrade the brakes, rear axle,etc etc .

I may have mislead you, I can weld a 521 kingcab together in a week(part time), that doesn't count anything else such as bodywork, just shaping and welding the main components together, no frills such as rear windows, and no touching up anything, and I have to have all the parts available before starting.

I would venture that it would be easier for you to redo a kingcab 620 cab/firewall to fit to the engine than to do what you are going to do, as most of that is not as visible as adding a rear cab section.

Take your time fitting the rear section to the back of your cab, both the links below show you how I did mine.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/27671-1966-datsun-520-kingcab-project-act-2/page__view__findpost__p__545211__hl__wayno__fromsearch__1

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/22928-1969-datsun-kingcab-project/page__view__findpost__p__375219__hl__wayno__fromsearch__1

Those are both beautiful trucks ! I sure don't think I can do this in a week( I wish.!) But I want to deal the mess where the cab has been cut .

So you had to build all of the cabs from pieces. Man that's nice.! And I completely agree about the spot welding. That must of taken a couple days.

But I can't even find any pictures of what I want to do. The fleet side you have is close,but it looks line you added to the front bed.?

I know this is going to a challenge. But if it all goes sideways I will just take this body off and start all over. I would like to get one summer out of it before I tear it down. I have to upgrade the brakes, rear axle,etc etc .

I measured everything about 20 times, I centered the box on the rear wheel, and the cab on the front wheel, and the space between them that was left is how much I extended the cab, the stepside box(chevy luv) was never modified.

The biggest issue is to not spot weld to close together and get the metal hot, it warps if it gets to hot.

I love the the thread wayno, you got skills brother !

But a couple of things I am doing is , I am not going to move the cab or bed, I am going to just overlap the kc cab top over the bed . ( if that makes any since. ?)

I am trying to get my kid to do a photoshop picture today . And I will post asap

I agree about the cab to bed bonding, I am working on that today.

And thanks for the insight, I welcome all suggestions