LI'l HOOKER 620

denmarkboy

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well the 5 lug swap should be pretty easy. 

the way i would do it would be to start with a balljoint conversion. upper A arms have to be made or bought to do this. 

for the rearend, a narrowed 8.8 with disks could work..

hope it helps. 

the 8.8 does most of the work for me and i can get those all day long for $ 200 .. and the ball joint swap, i knew i would have to do a brake upgrade someday. ive bookmarked a dozen swap threads,wish i could do bags. but when the motor is in there isnt much room to go down .(not with this wheel and tire combo)

thnkx

• Like 2

I'd keep the fiberglass, really gives the truck a unique look. Up to you though :)

the main reason i ask is it is going to be just as much work to fix and save it as it will be to remove it . i do like the look of the truck, but it is clearly from the 80's. but now that i've done the top its also clear this isnt a normal animial. i almost feel like i have 2 ideas starting to go in different directions.

and i feel the same about the grill/headlights, i like it but just like all the roundness of the 620, the square stuff is a style , just not sure what to do.

• Like 1

I would leave it alone also, how many 620s have you seen driving around with your fiberglass package, you likely have not seen any but yours.

You have done so much so far, I would have made it a hardtop/convertible, but that is me, I guess I am weird.

well your right about that, they are from another time.and i dont think your weird i have had 3 620 hardtop conv. 1 521 ,i love em .if i still lived in cali i would still have one. so after getting it back i knew i would have to make the top solid. its to wet here and i dont want it to be a garage only rig. i have to many projects.

i am upgrading the wheels to one of these 2 options . i am leaning towards the all polished one T2eC16hHJIIE9qTYMbcCBRkWgi7q3w60_31_zps1mrrmk1silmach_zpsfaaaf7d4.jpg

well i came to do an update, but my (reply to this topic) window does not give me the option to ad pictures anymore . oh well, its kind of a pain in the ass anyway. i would rather let the pictures do the talkin,but honestly i hate fuckin com-put-ers. they are usually more of a pain than a positive ! ( in my life ) .

so i re re ran the brake lines, and until i do a tire and wheel upgrade i cant do disc in the front.i am stripping engine bay of everything and started smoothing everything out & paint.i replaced the fuel lines,remounted the trans cooler,moved all the wires from the engine bay,streamed and stripped all the frame back to the torsion bar cross member. doin undercoating today and then the engine back in tomorrow.

• Like 1

Remember that things were done in succession. First, wide tires were installed. Then We got pulled over for them being too wide. Next We just put on flat plastic or metal mudflaps. This was in the mid 70s. Next was fender flares. In the late 70s everybody was going with a new look......... narrow rims, NO fender flares and just an airdam up front. Your truck's look is from the late 70s/ very early 80s.

• Like 2

Remember that things were done in succession. First, wide tires were installed. Then We got pulled over for them being too wide. Next We just put on flat plastic or metal mudflaps. This was in the mid 70s. Next was fender flares. In the late 70s everybody was going with a new look......... narrow rims, NO fender flares and just an airdam up front. Your truck's look is from the late 70s/ very early 80s.

I guess based on what knew,remembered,have learnt since. This 620 is a 77 , it never saw fiberglass until 82 /83 , but I do remember all those trends to . I like all the different looks ,

• Like 1

well your right about that, they are from another time.and i dont think your weird i have had 3 620 hardtop conv. 1 521 ,i love em .if i still lived in cali i would still have one. so after getting it back i knew i would have to make the top solid. its to wet here and i dont want it to be a garage only rig. i have to many projects.

i am upgrading the wheels to one of these 2 options . i am leaning towards the all polished one mrrmk1silmach_zpsfaaaf7d4.jpg

Personally I really like these rims. i think if you go with the right size, it would look great!

• Like 1

Haven't seen or heard NAMTO referred to in many years. Used to be a member in that time period. National association of mini truck owners. Also hooker headers used to sell the engine swap kit used here. I still have new glass fire wall and trans mount for this install. Some same parts used with 3.8 Buick and TH350 also used by Low Mfg

• Like 2

Another vintage dude ! ! PM Me Rushnracin. Robbie Klima now lives in My town and I also tracked down Marty Smith, Don Lindfors, Eric Thorsen and others. I purchased Jay Wasserman's old show truck about 6 years ago. Spencer Low now lives in Colorado. Good to have You on board ! !

• Like 2

Another vintage dude ! ! PM Me Rushnracin. Robbie Klima now lives in My town and I also tracked down Marty Smith, Don Lindfors, Eric Thorsen and others. I purchased Jay Wasserman's old show truck about 6 years ago. Spencer Low now lives in Colorado. Good to have You on board ! !

hi guys , well since i havent fixed all of my pictures yet i thought i would throw this old one up for ya !IMAG0966_zps817a477c.jpg

• Like 1

Haven't seen or heard NAMTO referred to in many years. Used to be a member in that time period. National association of mini truck owners. Also hooker headers used to sell the engine swap kit used here. I still have new glass fire wall and trans mount for this install. Some same parts used with 3.8 Buick and TH350 also used by Low Mfg

thats awesome , and correct this truck does have the complete hooker kit. i have a hooker part tag on the tunnel i will throw a picture

great progress man! as I have previously said. i hate V8 swaps in most mini's, but for some reason i love this one.

if you ever have to sell it for ANY reason... hit me up! lol

wait till you see it at canby ! i am crappy when it comes to taking pictures. i just stand back and shot, there are alot of little details i am missing ...oh yeah and its stupid ass fast too....when i get it back to a driving state i want to shot i video . just so people can see how radical this thing is..

last year i had to sell it cheap, got it back and wont be sellin it again ..sorry

• Like 1

so thats what mine would like with a GEN 1 block in it... :lol:

what kind of inner fenders are you gonna make? 

really close, i am having a craving a wagon with a v8 . actually i am looking for a cheap dd right now ...i might have found a 521

as for the inner fenders ,  cab back , and bed cover ....i'm keepin this to myself ...canby surprise ! i will give you a peek !aa821536-411a-4433-a62f-0ee18e2cc428_zps

• Like 1

So a quick update , I put the engine & trans back in and apparently I did not set the converter on the pump correctly. Results, I fried the trans pump, Saturday I took it all back out again . Trans is at o.t.s. should have it back this week .

I am getting pretty good a pulling this combo . Did it from a runner to completely out trans and motor separated in less than 2 hours .

• Like 1

lol, hes got a whole month and a week to get it done.. 

he said end of february, right? hahaha

Ok farmer its time to say you told me so !!! Hahaha its March and the trans is still in the shop, I have started paint .

But I have started sheet metal,

I also threw a 521 build into the mix, I am going to try and get it into a driving project before canby.

• Like 1