Well I'm stumped. Shooting gas out carb, will NOT start!

MantisX620

Help me ratsun, I'm at wits end. Here's the whole story. My engine was leaking bad at the valvecover, fuel pump and disti pedestal. Fixed all 3 gaskets. Last time I tried to adjust my timing I noticed if I advanced all the way, I could only get around 12 btdc. So I decided to set the engine to top dead center to make sure the disti rotor was pointing at #1.

It ended up a tad off from being on 1. So I said screw it and reinstalled the disti. Now the truck will turn over but will not start! If I turn it long enough, I'll hear a pop and ill see gas shoot out of the carb(weber 32/36) in a mist(took off filter).

I've check and rechecked the firing order 1342 and nothing. What am I missing here? Truck started and ran fine until I fixed the leaks.

Here are some pics of the current orientation. I'm placing #1 wire on the rightmost pedestal in my pic.

63OgeMi.jpg

3xsVKa2.jpg

Thanks

MantisX

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Set TDC compression on #1

Pull dizzy cap.

The wire just above the end of the rotor is now #1 plug.

Arrange the rest 3 4 2 COUNTER CLOCKWISE..

Try starting with the dizzy twisted slightly counter clockwise (retarded) and adjust clockwise to advance.

Ok so here's an updated pic. Engine is at tdc. The rotor sits in between the bottom and right posts so I wasn't able to pick accurately. I chose the bottom post as #1 and did 342 counter clockwise. Still does the same spit. I sat the rotor cap as it would sit if it was installed.

W2qRFCA.jpg

Thanks

MantisX

Ok so here's an updated pic. Engine is at tdc. The rotor sits in between the bottom and right posts so I wasn't able to pick accurately. I chose the bottom post as #1 and did 342 counter clockwise. Still does the same spit. I sat the rotor cap as it would sit if it was installed.

W2qRFCA.jpg

Thanks

MantisX

There are two TDCs You may still be TDC on the exhaust stroke. Lift the dizzy out and look at the drive spindle. It should look like this at TDC...

motordistributortiming.jpg

Note that there is a smaller half on the left and larger on the right. Should be this way if you are correctly at TDC compression #1.

pull number 1 plug put your finger to cover the number 1 hole rotate motor till you feel pressure coming out of the hole continue to rotate till you get to TDC this will be the compression stroke as mike said 

Lined it up like the pic and tried, same result. Pulled plug 1 and stuck in a small rod to rest on the piston. Found tdc that way, same result.

It's a pattern. Crack, crank, crank, pop repeat. Tried to rule out the fuel pump by unhooking it from the carb. Thought maybe it was broken during the gasket replace. Same thing. I dunno wtf happened to my truck but I wish I had let the son of a bitch leak all it wanted.

I just had same problem when I pulled my engine. I put everything back together and tried to fire it up and pop, gas shooting out the top of my 38 webber dgas. My problem was that the PO had put an l18 distributor on an l20b engine. So the firing order was different. I switched it to l18 firing order and rum rum! first turn it fired up. maybe that's the problem

ok..try this  the lower one is is inbetween 1/2 way and 3/4 dizzy turned counter clockwise DSC_1019.jpg

DSC_1021.jpg upside down pic

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

now the top one about 3/4 turned clockwise  ... this is at about 14 degrees BTDC assuming you have everything CERTAINLY where it should be...

give this a shot  

DSC_1020.jpgDSC_1025.jpg

Forget the fuel pump.

Replacing the distributor and the valve cover gaskets means you had the wires off the plugs. So number one is to be absolutely sure you have the wires to the correct plugs from the distributor cap. The distributor can only be installed in one position. You can't mix up the timing if you removed the two 10mm bolts holding the pedestal to the timing cover. If you unscrewed the timing adjustment bolts to lift the dizzy out it should be still close enough to adjust back into position by twisting the distributor body.

Did you remove any of the wires from the cap to clean or replace?

Lined it up like the pic and tried, same result. Pulled plug 1 and stuck in a small rod to rest on the piston. Found tdc that way, same result.

There are TWO Top Dead Centers. One on the compression and one on the exhaust. You can verify compression stroke by, (as said) putting finger in plug hole to feel the air coming out, removing valve cover and checking that #1 intake and exhaust cam lobes are pointing upward at 10 and 2 o'clock, or remove dizzy and look at the drive spindle.

With the pulley mark on 0, here is what I have on my cam lobes and disti. Mike, I checked and quadruple checked the wire order. I even got desperate and went completely around the disti moving them 1 post back and trying until I was back at original 1342 as depicted here: http://www.davidcmurphy.com/olddat/620tech2.htm

9ECma6m.jpg

fzDNdMF.jpg

I don't get it. I feel like it should at least start even if it ran like shit. Followed tdc instructions as told put #1 where the rotor stopped. No bueno.

Everyone is certain its timing? Anything else I can check for?

Wish Honda made an old cool truck, I can work on that voodoo.

With the pulley mark on 0, here is what I have on my cam lobes and disti. Mike, I checked and quadruple checked the wire order. I even got desperate and went completely around the disti moving them 1 post back and trying until I was back at original 1342 as depicted here: http://www.davidcmurphy.com/olddat/620tech2.htm

9ECma6m.jpg

You sure you're at TDC? (0 degrees)

Lobes should be at 10 and 2....not at 11ish/3ish

Ok fiddled with it some more and finally got it to crank. What's happening now is it will idle fine and rec fine, but at the end of the rev it cuts off. The starter lags on restart but eventually it turns over. I took my valve cover off and as I turn the pulley the left side of the chain is tight, but sometimes the right side has some slack. Timing chain job in my future?

• Like 1

I actually just found top dead center again and put the wires back on and adjusted it using the pics you sent. That was enough to get it started, then I timed it to around 15btdc. I can hear timing chain chatter so im sure ill be going in it soon.

Thanks everyone